F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > B58 Log Review Thread
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-04-2020, 01:56 AM   #353
SC_B5X
Second Lieutenant
SC_B5X's Avatar
United_States
300
Rep
244
Posts

Drives: 2016 BMW 340i
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Greenville, SC

iTrader: (0)

OzBMR Can you do a virtual dyno on this log? I want to see how accurate it is (this was my log when I was dyno'd).
__________________
Instagram: SC_B5X
2016 BMW 340i M-Sport Pkg
Pure 800 Turbo, Dorch Engineering Stage 2 HPFP, VRSF 4.5" Downpipe, Remus Axleback, CTS Turbo Intake, XHP Stage 3 Trans Tune, and Custom E50 Wedge MHD Tune
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 02:07 AM   #354
OzBMR
Lieutenant
OzBMR's Avatar
Australia
535
Rep
578
Posts

Drives: BMW M140i
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Brisbane, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC_B5X View Post
OzBMR Can you do a virtual dyno on this log? I want to see how accurate it is (this was my log when I was dyno'd).
Couldn't see a link, but it won't work if it was done on a Dyno, the loadings are different. Has to be road runs.
__________________
M140i LCI Mineral Grey
Dorch Stage 2 HPFP, CG Precision DS-1, XHP, MHD Stage 2 HPFP E30 @ E42 100 - 200 6.96s 10.93@127mph
Stock DP, XHP, MHD 95/102 OTS E30 fuel, Hoosier DR2 11.5@121mph about 8.0s 100-200
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 03:14 AM   #355
SC_B5X
Second Lieutenant
SC_B5X's Avatar
United_States
300
Rep
244
Posts

Drives: 2016 BMW 340i
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Greenville, SC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzBMR View Post
Couldn't see a link, but it won't work if it was done on a Dyno, the loadings are different. Has to be road runs.
Oops, forgot to paste it. Here's the same map but logged on the street.
https://datazap.me/u/richmichael97/w...og=0&data=5-26
__________________
Instagram: SC_B5X
2016 BMW 340i M-Sport Pkg
Pure 800 Turbo, Dorch Engineering Stage 2 HPFP, VRSF 4.5" Downpipe, Remus Axleback, CTS Turbo Intake, XHP Stage 3 Trans Tune, and Custom E50 Wedge MHD Tune
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 03:50 AM   #356
OzBMR
Lieutenant
OzBMR's Avatar
Australia
535
Rep
578
Posts

Drives: BMW M140i
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Brisbane, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC_B5X View Post
Oops, forgot to paste it. Here's the same map but logged on the street.
https://datazap.me/u/richmichael97/w...og=0&data=5-26
I had a look at it, it's only a 3rd gear pull and 100% accelerator from 3360 RPM. Came out about 420whp and 600Nm, but didn't look right, I'd say wheel spin in 3rd?

Do you have a 4th gear pull with WOT from 2500 RPM?
__________________
M140i LCI Mineral Grey
Dorch Stage 2 HPFP, CG Precision DS-1, XHP, MHD Stage 2 HPFP E30 @ E42 100 - 200 6.96s 10.93@127mph
Stock DP, XHP, MHD 95/102 OTS E30 fuel, Hoosier DR2 11.5@121mph about 8.0s 100-200
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 07:52 AM   #357
kern417
Cheapskate
United_States
3182
Rep
4,257
Posts

Drives: 2018 440i / 2010 X5
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Cincinnati

iTrader: (1)

Sheesh, i've got some catching up to do lol. Glad the thread is working.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by umizoomi View Post
As long as 3-pedals are an option, I will exercise my right to suffer the handicap and indignity of slower shifts and reaction times.
Instagram @kern417
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 08:38 AM   #358
Supr3me
Captain
Supr3me's Avatar
United_States
454
Rep
622
Posts

Drives: Your mom crazy
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Sioux Falls SD

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldeagleman View Post
Side note, the MHD stage 2 flash seems way faster than my JB4/MHD BEF setup. I reckon I mustve messed up somewhere along the process of setting that up. Is there anything else I should look at to fix these logs?
This was my exact same experience.
If you flip back 10 or so pages you'll see that I posted a log after doing the BEF and was told the same thing - dangerously lean AFRs with fuel rail drops.

I immediately yanked the JB4 and have been much happier ever since.
I think something is wrong in the MHD/JB4 BEF instructions or coding.

Is anyone running MHD/JB4 without meth that is happy with it? Has good, safe logs? Strong dyno performance?
__________________
2016 340i xDrive M-Sport MPPSK
Pure800; Dorch Stg2 hpfp; VRSF DP; AP intake
MHD; Wedge Performance E50 tune; xHP Stage 3
Forgestar wheels & KW coilovers
10.55 1/4; 2.82 0-60mph

Last edited by Supr3me; 02-04-2020 at 08:45 AM..
Appreciate 1
OzBMR535.00

      02-04-2020, 09:14 AM   #359
baldeagleman
Private First Class
United_States
28
Rep
137
Posts

Drives: 2017 BMW M240i xDrive
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SÁpreme View Post
This was my exact same experience.
If you flip back 10 or so pages you'll see that I posted a log after doing the BEF and was told the same thing - dangerously lean AFRs with fuel rail drops.

I immediately yanked the JB4 and have been much happier ever since.
I think something is wrong in the MHD/JB4 BEF instructions or coding.

Is anyone running MHD/JB4 without meth that is happy with it? Has good, safe logs? Strong dyno performance?
Yeah, I mean I updated the firmware like they said, I'm pretty sure I was on the right map too. I almost feel like just the JB4 alone was running better. I had it installed for about 6 months so I hope no damage occured.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 09:31 AM   #360
baldeagleman
Private First Class
United_States
28
Rep
137
Posts

Drives: 2017 BMW M240i xDrive
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzBMR View Post
If you've only just flashed the car it may be just an adaptions issue. You can try resetting adaptions in the MHD Flasher>Codes>Reset Adaptions with the ignition on, car not started, same as when you flash the car. Alternatively, disconnect the battery for a while.

Do you have access to 93 that doesn't have ethanol?

93 octane that has 10% ethanol starts as poor quality gas that they add ethanol to to get the octane up. If you can, blend some high quality 93 with some E85 once the gas in your tank is gone, then re-test.
I'll try resetting adaptations today and do another run. The best I can get without ethanol is 91 and I have no access to E85.

EDIT: Which adaptions should I be resetting? All of them?

Also, do you think I should look into doing anything with sparkplugs? I am using OEM and have never replaced them and I'm at 47k miles. I'm going to drive around a bit and do a couple logs and post them tonight.

Last edited by baldeagleman; 02-04-2020 at 12:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 04:56 PM   #361
OzBMR
Lieutenant
OzBMR's Avatar
Australia
535
Rep
578
Posts

Drives: BMW M140i
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Brisbane, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldeagleman View Post
I'll try resetting adaptations today and do another run. The best I can get without ethanol is 91 and I have no access to E85.

EDIT: Which adaptions should I be resetting? All of them?

Also, do you think I should look into doing anything with sparkplugs? I am using OEM and have never replaced them and I'm at 47k miles. I'm going to drive around a bit and do a couple logs and post them tonight.
Try to reset everything except Idle and Battery, then log again.

Install a set of new NGK 94201 plugs SILZKGR8B8S

If you are still getting timing corrections after that, flash the 91 map
__________________
M140i LCI Mineral Grey
Dorch Stage 2 HPFP, CG Precision DS-1, XHP, MHD Stage 2 HPFP E30 @ E42 100 - 200 6.96s 10.93@127mph
Stock DP, XHP, MHD 95/102 OTS E30 fuel, Hoosier DR2 11.5@121mph about 8.0s 100-200
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 05:36 PM   #362
baldeagleman
Private First Class
United_States
28
Rep
137
Posts

Drives: 2017 BMW M240i xDrive
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

https://datazap.me/u/dparadis21/mhd-...=5-14-15-17-40

New log. I think I'm going to try new sparkplugs.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 06:01 PM   #363
OzBMR
Lieutenant
OzBMR's Avatar
Australia
535
Rep
578
Posts

Drives: BMW M140i
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Brisbane, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldeagleman View Post
https://datazap.me/u/dparadis21/mhd-...=5-14-15-17-40

New log. I think I'm going to try new sparkplugs.
The log resulted in the same power and torque as the first lot, timing is OK across all cylinders, but still corrections and delta for knock.

Your gas lacks the octane to best support that tune.

Your fuel rail pressure is holding better. A few more WOT runs and it should adapt and dial itself in.

I think you should flash the 91 octane map, only take a minute. You might end up with a little less power and torque but it'll be better for the engine.
__________________
M140i LCI Mineral Grey
Dorch Stage 2 HPFP, CG Precision DS-1, XHP, MHD Stage 2 HPFP E30 @ E42 100 - 200 6.96s 10.93@127mph
Stock DP, XHP, MHD 95/102 OTS E30 fuel, Hoosier DR2 11.5@121mph about 8.0s 100-200
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 06:04 PM   #364
baldeagleman
Private First Class
United_States
28
Rep
137
Posts

Drives: 2017 BMW M240i xDrive
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Should I still go through with the ngk sparkplugs? I was also thinking about trying the 91 flash. Before I try the reflash I'm going to try the sunoco gas tomorrow when I fill up as well as a few more WOT pulls.

Btw, is there any resources out there on how to analyze logs out there and/or how did you learn this stuff?

EDIT

New log with the 91/95 ron tune

https://datazap.me/u/dparadis21/mhd-...data=5-6-19-44

Seems like the timing isn't getting pulled anymore but the rail pressure seems to be dropping. Making about 15 less whp on this tune.

Last edited by baldeagleman; 02-04-2020 at 06:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 06:39 PM   #365
OzBMR
Lieutenant
OzBMR's Avatar
Australia
535
Rep
578
Posts

Drives: BMW M140i
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Brisbane, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldeagleman View Post
Should I still go through with the ngk sparkplugs? I was also thinking about trying the 91 flash. Before I try the reflash I'm going to try the sunoco gas tomorrow when I fill up as well as a few more WOT pulls.

Btw, is there any resources out there on how to analyze logs out there and/or how did you learn this stuff?
Yes, get the NGK plugs and definitely try the 91 octane map. You can easily go back to the 93 map again if you want.

An easy way to test if octane is the problem is to throw some Boostane 100 in your tank.

I suggest going back to the beginning of this thread and reading through each page. You'll start to pick up what's important.

For an off the shelf (OTS) tune from BM3/MHD etc the boost and air fuel ratio are all going to be OK, assuming your car is mechanically good.

You want to see ignition timing for each cylinder do a nice smooth curve from 20 - 30 degrees at low load, close to 0 degrees at peak torque and then increase towards 12 - 17 degrees at redline, depending on the tune and octane of your gas. Ideally all cylinders would have the same ignition timing, you have zero timing corrections and delta for knock stays at zero.

Also, if you get wheel spin, or even if DSC is active and anticipates wheel spin, you may see boost drop, throttle closure and timing being pulled.
__________________
M140i LCI Mineral Grey
Dorch Stage 2 HPFP, CG Precision DS-1, XHP, MHD Stage 2 HPFP E30 @ E42 100 - 200 6.96s 10.93@127mph
Stock DP, XHP, MHD 95/102 OTS E30 fuel, Hoosier DR2 11.5@121mph about 8.0s 100-200
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 06:43 PM   #366
baldeagleman
Private First Class
United_States
28
Rep
137
Posts

Drives: 2017 BMW M240i xDrive
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzBMR View Post
Yes, get the NGK plugs and definitely try the 91 octane map. You can easily go back to the 93 map again if you want.

An easy way to test if octane is the problem is to throw some Boostane 100 in your tank.

I suggest going back to the beginning of this thread and reading through each page. You'll start to pick up what's important.

For an off the shelf (OTS) tune from BM3/MHD etc the boost and air fuel ratio are all going to be OK, assuming your car is mechanically good.

You want to see ignition timing for each cylinder do a nice smooth curve from 20 - 30 degrees at low load, close to 0 degrees at peak torque and then increase towards 12 - 17 degrees at redline, depending on the tune and octane of your gas. Ideally all cylinders would have the same ignition timing, you have zero timing corrections and delta for knock stays at zero.

Also, if you get wheel spin, or even if DSC is active and anticipates wheel spin, you may see boost drop, throttle closure and timing being pulled.
I added the pull with the 91 oct map to my previous post. I am sort of picking up some of this and the 91 map seems better with timing not being pulled. Only thing I am seeing is rail pressure. I ordered the NKG plugs and will get them installed and then with that and a different gas station I will see if I can get the 93 oct map working. Thanks so much for all your help.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 06:53 PM   #367
OzBMR
Lieutenant
OzBMR's Avatar
Australia
535
Rep
578
Posts

Drives: BMW M140i
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Brisbane, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldeagleman View Post
I added the pull with the 91 oct map to my previous post. I am sort of picking up some of this and the 91 map seems better with timing not being pulled. Only thing I am seeing is rail pressure. I ordered the NKG plugs and will get them installed and then with that and a different gas station I will see if I can get the 93 oct map working. Thanks so much for all your help.
No worries. The 91 map looks much better for the gas you have ATM.

After a flash it can take a few pulls for the car to adapt. Your fuel rail pressure should be OK, see how it goes after a few more pulls.
__________________
M140i LCI Mineral Grey
Dorch Stage 2 HPFP, CG Precision DS-1, XHP, MHD Stage 2 HPFP E30 @ E42 100 - 200 6.96s 10.93@127mph
Stock DP, XHP, MHD 95/102 OTS E30 fuel, Hoosier DR2 11.5@121mph about 8.0s 100-200
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 11:14 PM   #368
baldeagleman
Private First Class
United_States
28
Rep
137
Posts

Drives: 2017 BMW M240i xDrive
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Could something like this indicate throttle closures?

View post on imgur.com


Maybe because I didn't have TC all the way off, only sport+?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2020, 12:17 AM   #369
OzBMR
Lieutenant
OzBMR's Avatar
Australia
535
Rep
578
Posts

Drives: BMW M140i
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Brisbane, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldeagleman View Post
Could something like this indicate throttle closures?

Maybe because I didn't have TC all the way off, only sport+?
The throttle is also part of the boost/torque control system. The tune targets torque and if torque overshoots target the DME will reduce waste gate duty cycle and may close the throttle partially to reduce flow into the manifold.

You'll also see throttle closures, reduced boost and timing too, with wheel spin as part of TC to reduce power going to the wheels.

Personally I don't look at the throttle. Assuming DSC/TC isn't intervening to reduce wheel slip you shouldn't feel throttle partial closures related to managing torque.
__________________
M140i LCI Mineral Grey
Dorch Stage 2 HPFP, CG Precision DS-1, XHP, MHD Stage 2 HPFP E30 @ E42 100 - 200 6.96s 10.93@127mph
Stock DP, XHP, MHD 95/102 OTS E30 fuel, Hoosier DR2 11.5@121mph about 8.0s 100-200
Appreciate 1
kern4173181.50

      02-07-2020, 05:03 PM   #370
InstigatorX
Private First Class
United_States
40
Rep
164
Posts

Drives: 2018 440i GC
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: NC

iTrader: (0)

MHD st1-93oct-xHP st2

First MHD stage 1 logs...

https://datazap.me/u/instigatorx/log-1581110609
https://datazap.me/u/instigatorx/log-1581110769
https://datazap.me/u/instigatorx/log-1581112253

100% 93 octane (not E10).

Doesn't feel that strong and my amateur eyes tell me timing is out of whack. Octane problem?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 05:22 PM   #371
SC_B5X
Second Lieutenant
SC_B5X's Avatar
United_States
300
Rep
244
Posts

Drives: 2016 BMW 340i
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Greenville, SC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InstigatorX View Post
First MHD stage 1 logs...

https://datazap.me/u/instigatorx/log-1581110609
https://datazap.me/u/instigatorx/log-1581110769
https://datazap.me/u/instigatorx/log-1581112253

100% 93 octane (not E10).

Doesn't feel that strong and my amateur eyes tell me timing is out of whack. Octane problem?
You need to find better gas, you have crazy bad timing corrections. Look for gas stations with the Top Tier rating. I'd suggest Shell, BP, Exxon, or QT.

https://toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/
__________________
Instagram: SC_B5X
2016 BMW 340i M-Sport Pkg
Pure 800 Turbo, Dorch Engineering Stage 2 HPFP, VRSF 4.5" Downpipe, Remus Axleback, CTS Turbo Intake, XHP Stage 3 Trans Tune, and Custom E50 Wedge MHD Tune
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2020, 07:00 PM   #372
InstigatorX
Private First Class
United_States
40
Rep
164
Posts

Drives: 2018 440i GC
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC_B5X View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by InstigatorX View Post
First MHD stage 1 logs...

https://datazap.me/u/instigatorx/log-1581110609
https://datazap.me/u/instigatorx/log-1581110769
https://datazap.me/u/instigatorx/log-1581112253

100% 93 octane (not E10).

Doesn't feel that strong and my amateur eyes tell me timing is out of whack. Octane problem?
You need to find better gas, you have crazy bad timing corrections. Look for gas stations with the Top Tier rating. I'd suggest Shell, BP, Exxon, or QT.

https://toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/
Gas was from Shell here in NC. 😢😢😢

91 octane tune?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2020, 02:30 AM   #373
OzBMR
Lieutenant
OzBMR's Avatar
Australia
535
Rep
578
Posts

Drives: BMW M140i
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Brisbane, Australia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InstigatorX View Post
First MHD stage 1 logs...

https://datazap.me/u/instigatorx/log-1581110609
https://datazap.me/u/instigatorx/log-1581110769
https://datazap.me/u/instigatorx/log-1581112253

100% 93 octane (not E10).

Doesn't feel that strong and my amateur eyes tell me timing is out of whack. Octane problem?
I think the car is doing OK on this map, Load and Boost are bang on target and yeah there's some timing corrections, but overall the timing is OK and delta for knock is extremely low.

The 16_16_07 run has really good timing (16 degrees at 6800 RPM) at 16 PSI boost, in all but cylinder 1, which tends to struggle for B58

How many miles since you flashed the car, how old are your plugs and what is the weather conditions you did the logs in (dry road etc)?
__________________
M140i LCI Mineral Grey
Dorch Stage 2 HPFP, CG Precision DS-1, XHP, MHD Stage 2 HPFP E30 @ E42 100 - 200 6.96s 10.93@127mph
Stock DP, XHP, MHD 95/102 OTS E30 fuel, Hoosier DR2 11.5@121mph about 8.0s 100-200
Appreciate 1
      02-08-2020, 10:03 AM   #374
InstigatorX
Private First Class
United_States
40
Rep
164
Posts

Drives: 2018 440i GC
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzBMR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by InstigatorX View Post
First MHD stage 1 logs...

https://datazap.me/u/instigatorx/log-1581110609
https://datazap.me/u/instigatorx/log-1581110769
https://datazap.me/u/instigatorx/log-1581112253

100% 93 octane (not E10).

Doesn't feel that strong and my amateur eyes tell me timing is out of whack. Octane problem?
I think the car is doing OK on this map, Load and Boost are bang on target and yeah there's some timing corrections, but overall the timing is OK and delta for knock is extremely low.

The 16_16_07 run has really good timing (16 degrees at 6800 RPM) at 16 PSI boost, in all but cylinder 1, which tends to struggle for B58

How many miles since you flashed the car, how old are your plugs and what is the weather conditions you did the logs in (dry road etc)?
Thx for taking a look.

- Road was fairly dry. Rained earlier, but was long straight stretch of road and I turned DSC off (long press). Temp was around 50*.

- plugs are less than 2k old and gapped to 0.025. Should I go the whole 0.022 like everyone's been talking about?

- car was flashed same day and I reset adaptations before the first log.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:11 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST