F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Downpipe install tips?
GetBMWParts

01-18-2022, 10:13 AM   #1
CrimsonMoonLight72
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Xdrive

Downpipe install tips?

About to install ER catted DP on 16 340i xdrive

2 real thick spacers and 10 thinner ones came with unit

I heard some need them on xdrive model and some don’t end up using them?
When needed, apparently they go with the metal pan that surrounds DP? No indication of anything with pamphlet that comes with DP

Also air box removal and lowering of back end of exhaust onto brace a necessity???

Trying to be proactive for the unforeseen so I bought OEM DP gasket AND an OEM V Band clamp. I’m wondering if I should also pick up an OEM mid pipe clamp as well? What do you think? I’ve seen a few people say they couldn’t get the mid pipe clamp off. Maybe nut melted onto bolt or something......

If I don’t need any of these OEM parts the dealer said I can return for refund as long as it’s unopened....

Car has 37k miles so I’m hoping it’s not high mileage enough to where all the above mentioned components would have to be used
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 10:32 AM   #2
GeneHackmanCrisis
Rep
Drives: 340i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonMoonLight72 View Post
About to install ER catted DP on 16 340i xdrive

2 real thick spacers and 10 thinner ones came with unit

I heard some need them on xdrive model and some don’t end up using them?
When needed, apparently they go with the metal pan that surrounds DP? No indication of anything with pamphlet that comes with DP

Also air box removal and lowering of back end of exhaust onto brace a necessity???

Trying to be proactive for the unforeseen so I bought OEM DP gasket AND an OEM V Band clamp. I’m wondering if I should also pick up an OEM mid pipe clamp as well? What do you think? I’ve seen a few people say they couldn’t get the mid pipe clamp off. Maybe nut melted onto bolt or something......

If I don’t need any of these OEM parts the dealer said I can return for refund as long as it’s unopened....

Car has 37k miles so I’m hoping it’s not high mileage enough to where all the above mentioned components would have to be used
You may be able to reuse all 3 of those parts ( gasket, v band , and mid pipe clamp ) but you really don’t know until you start taking them off. 37k miles is not high mileage but it’s a 16 so it’s almost 6 years old which may have more to do with what you’re asking than mileage. But again hard to say.

You could install DP without removing airbox and lowering end of exhaust but it will add probably more time to your install than if you just took airbox and lowered exhaust. I think exhaust only has 2 connections to lower it.

Those spacers I don’t know much about. That’s a crapshoot I guess...don’t know
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 10:57 AM   #3
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

Yes the air box will need to come out, just pull up. The midpipe clamp is welded on the exhaust, you can't/shouldn't need to replace it. Yes you must remove the exhaust brace to lower the rear section. You will need penetrating oil like PB Blaster to get the DP to exhaust separated easier. You will need a pipe expander to get the new DP in the exhaust. Did the new V band come with a new bolt? The bolt is what people have to cut as a worst case if it doesn't come off. I can't answer about the spacers/washers as I have red and didn't need any.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 11:18 AM   #4
CrimsonMoonLight72
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by weehe126 View Post
Yes the air box will need to come out, just pull up. The midpipe clamp is welded on the exhaust, you can't/shouldn't need to replace it. Yes you must remove the exhaust brace to lower the rear section. You will need penetrating oil like PB Blaster to get the DP to exhaust separated easier. You will need a pipe expander to get the new DP in the exhaust. Did the new V band come with a new bolt? The bolt is what people have to cut as a worst case if it doesn't come off. I can't answer about the spacers/washers as I have red and didn't need any.
The v band clamp and bolt and nut comes together in one package. I realize that technically yes I could just find a heat resistant bolt that is same length as OEM one in v band package but that OEM bolt looks very specific. It has this sleeve thing at the end of bolt that sits over the non threaded end section of the bolt. Don’t you think trying to find that kind of bolt at a hardware store would end up fruitless?

I heard though that some didn’t need a pipe expander. I guess it depends on if the current clamp has squeezed it and pipe got crushed in a little?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 12:00 PM   #5
Jcoop901
Southern Fried
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
No way mine was going on without the pipe expander. Get a loan-a-tool from Autozone or Advance.. It's free, they just require a deposit.

V-band is hit or miss.. may need may not.
Airbox removal is a must.
Dropping the rear exhaust is a must if you are doing this in your driveway. I did, had to drop it.

If you have a lift you may be able to skip dropping rear exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 12:46 PM   #6
CrimsonMoonLight72
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcoop901 View Post
No way mine was going on without the pipe expander. Get a loan-a-tool from Autozone or Advance.. It's free, they just require a deposit.

V-band is hit or miss.. may need may not.
Airbox removal is a must.
Dropping the rear exhaust is a must if you are doing this in your driveway. I did, had to drop it.

If you have a lift you may be able to skip dropping rear exhaust.
Maybe I’ll luck out and not need expander but I guess it’s good to have on hand
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 01:56 PM   #7
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

You are trying to be proactive but don't want to get the pipe expander. Not a good idea.
Appreciate 1
dmanb2b2121.50
      01-18-2022, 03:54 PM   #8
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by weehe126 View Post
You are trying to be proactive but don't want to get the pipe expander. Not a good idea.
so much easier with an expander
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 04:13 PM   #9
CrimsonMoonLight72
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanb2b View Post
so much easier with an expander
Ok
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 08:45 AM   #10
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Let us know how it goes

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2022, 11:56 AM   #11
CrimsonMoonLight72
Private First Class
Rep

So I was told by ER that the spacers are for the ‘metal skid plate on bottom of car to bring it down a little to make room for DP’

I just don’t recall reading about anyone who put this DP or any other DP into an xdrive f30 that used spacers. Perhaps if you don’t get the fitment quite right you would need them? Idk....
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2022, 10:30 PM   #12
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

I put the ER catted DP on my 340 xdrive, and didn't use any spacers. I was able to re-use the gasket and both clamps.

I wouldn't bother getting a new midpipe clamp. That's a pretty wide and robust unit.

But as others said, get the expander. I bought a cheapo unit from Amazon to help spread the pipe. I also found that once the DP was loose from the turbo, twisting it back and forth did help spread that mid-pipe opening.
Appreciate 0