F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > BM3 v.2.2 - Traction Control Issues Thread
proTUNING Freaks

01-23-2022, 01:14 AM   #45
teknic90
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Garage List
2020 G20 M340i  [0.00]
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Glad to know it's not just me. Floored it the other day turning a corner and TC just said "I'm out" and took me completely off guard. Rear end was damn near 75 degrees, but I recovered. Good to hear there's a fix in the works. Don't mind the "no electronic aid" from time to time but only if I disable it myself and I'm expecting it.
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2022, 08:11 AM   #46
Cobra358
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
How many people who are sh*tting their pants because they don't have a big safety net from TC also don't have significant road course track time and skid pad training?
Tc can create a false sense of security along with anti loc brakes. You should always be prepared for the rear end to step out or have to pump the brakes. I agree skid pad/road course training or driving/growing up with an older vehicle that doesn't have these safety features is helpful for safety reasons.
Appreciate 3
Wires1645.50
Polo088161610.00
eluded3029.00
      01-23-2022, 10:08 AM   #47
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra358 View Post
Tc can create a false sense of security along with anti loc brakes. You should always be prepared for the rear end to step out or have to pump the brakes. I agree skid pad/road course training or driving/growing up with an older vehicle that doesn't have these safety features is helpful for safety reasons.
While there may be an issue with the BM3 tune, the other issue is that some people probably need more of a driver mod than they need a tune.
Appreciate 2
Wires1645.50
      01-24-2022, 02:17 PM   #48
culpability
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknic90 View Post
Glad to know it's not just me. Floored it the other day turning a corner and TC just said "I'm out" and took me completely off guard. Rear end was damn near 75 degrees, but I recovered. Good to hear there's a fix in the works. Don't mind the "no electronic aid" from time to time but only if I disable it myself and I'm expecting it.
Yup. People keep roasting me saying I'm just a pansy who doesn't know how to drive.
But the fact is, if you are anticipating TC to be there, it changes how you drive. And frankly the 2.2 map brings SO MUCH low end torque that it would be very possible for a young / inexperienced driver to send themselves to a fiery death if the first time they stomp on it is peeling onto an on-ramp or whatever (which in fact is exactly what happened minus the fiery death; this issue was first raised by a user who stomped on it at an on-ramp and nearly totalled his car when the back end stepped out on him). Simply put, TC being disabled and the driver not KNOWING it is disabled poses a big safety hazard when most modern cars refuse to let you spin the tires.

As for an update, I'm still on the Test 3 map. It feels just as torque-y as 2.2 to me but there are some weird power delivery issues still. They told me to put a few days on it and report back, which I just did this morning; will let you guys know if I hear anything new.
      01-24-2022, 02:59 PM   #49
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by culpability View Post
Yup. People keep roasting me saying I'm just a pansy who doesn't know how to drive.
But the fact is, if you are anticipating TC to be there, it changes how you drive. And frankly the 2.2 map brings SO MUCH low end torque that it would be very possible for a young / inexperienced driver to send themselves to a fiery death if the first time they stomp on it is peeling onto an on-ramp or whatever (which in fact is exactly what happened minus the fiery death; this issue was first raised by a user who stomped on it at an on-ramp and nearly totalled his car when the back end stepped out on him). Simply put, TC being disabled and the driver not KNOWING it is disabled poses a big safety hazard when most modern cars refuse to let you spin the tires.

As for an update, I'm still on the Test 3 map. It feels just as torque-y as 2.2 to me but there are some weird power delivery issues still. They told me to put a few days on it and report back, which I just did this morning; will let you guys know if I hear anything new.
The misinformation is it's still 100% functional (I've seen both TC and stability control engage on the 2.2 map). It's just if you stay on the throttle hard, you will push past it and then you are on your own. If you backed off the throttle when the tires started to spin, the TC and stability would kick back in and pull the car back into line. If you keep it planted, then you better know how to control a car with that much power.

Regardless, the driver really needs to be aware of situations and road conditions if it was running like the car was delivered OEM. All you need is a bit loose rocks on the road, and no amount of electronic engineering will save you from the car spinning out of control.

And.... I'm eager to try the new mapping once it's fixed up. The car has been way more fun now on the 2.2 map since you can power on over steer, but my tire budget will appreciate the nannies preventing that.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 03:31 PM   #50
CrimsonMoonLight72
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Xdrive

Does anyone remember those hand held OTS map units from Cobb ? So long ago but it was the crap if you had an STI. I remember they released an OTS map for n54 or maybe n55....? Never heard anyone talk about it or review it. They seemed to be all about Subaru
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2022, 03:36 PM   #51
TreDirtyFive
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:

I'll chalk it up to me piloting a heavy porker in 4WD-X3 guise, which might skew my perception in power delivery, but I'm also testing this "3rd-version" and IMHO it is clearly less torquey and lazier down low that the base 2.2. But I digress...Halim just told me they are prepping the official update to the OTS menu. Give it a try people!
      01-24-2022, 03:44 PM   #52
SystemOfUrdaW
Tom2TerrE
Canada
Rep
Drives: BmW 340i Xdrive 2016

I hope we can keep that 2.2 map for drifting day feel like, and have a more safe map when the family is onboard.
PTF should have name it “Drift Map”
Thanks for updates yall
Roasters could do my coffee beans
Love yall😘
Appreciate 1
Wires1645.50
      01-24-2022, 06:43 PM   #53
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aitom7 View Post
I hope we can keep that 2.2 map for drifting day feel like, and have a more safe map when the family is onboard.
Thanks for updates yall
Love yall��
Although I have no experience with this map or with any aftermarket maps, I simply use the BM3 to disable the CEL on my 335i that I use the for track.

However, based on what I'm reading about the behavior of this map, it's not even a good "drift map". You want a progressive and linear feel for "drifting" so you can more easily control the car versus instant high torque delivery.

If someone's version of "drifting" is simply to punch the throttle and do donuts, then I guess...

But it's better to initiate a sustained high angle oversteer with trailing throttle oversteer than it is to simply initiate the skid with throttle. The rear axles will lose traction in a much more controlled manner.

Like I said, based on what people have been saying on this particular thread, they need more of a driver mod than anything else.
Appreciate 1
eluded3029.00
      01-24-2022, 08:17 PM   #54
CrimsonMoonLight72
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aitom7 View Post
Thanks for updates yall
Love yall😘
Please no drift map! Lol.....just saying. I can see young bucks hitting that up and then hitting everything in their path! Then all of this is going to start all over again....I mean it in a light hearted way but seriously PTF’s corporate interest it seems, is towards the masses which are people who just like to nail it in the straights and occasionally on big twisties.... IF you want a drift map save a copy of original v 2.2 map! But use if off road and drift away
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 01:17 AM   #55
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Quote:
But the fact is, if you are anticipating TC to be there, it changes how you drive.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 07:14 PM   #56
WolfGTI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F22,15 E84 M Sport,02 R53

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2002 MINI Cooper S  [0.00]
2015 BMW X1  [0.00]
99% of the people on here are all about straight-line driving much less about actually really driving the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonMoonLight72 View Post
Please no drift map! Lol.....just saying. I can see young bucks hitting that up and then hitting everything in their path! Then all of this is going to start all over again....I mean it in a light hearted way but seriously PTF’s corporate interest it seems, is towards the masses which are people who just like to nail it in the straights and occasionally on big twisties.... IF you want a drift map save a copy of original v 2.2 map! But use if off road and drift away
Ohlins R&T coilovers, Turner monoball thrust arms, F87 LCAs, GC camber plates, Superpro subframe bushings, Megan Racing adj. RCAs, delrin differential bushings. Stoptech BBK 6 piston (f) 4 piston (r).
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 07:24 PM   #57
Keithmanny
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by not1337 View Post
I think the weirdest part of this whole ordeal is that PTF wont even acknowledge its happening.
Yeah...That's true
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 07:26 PM   #58
Keithmanny
Banned
Rep

Smiles......almost everybody did
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2022, 07:28 PM   #59
Keithmanny
Banned
Rep

Thats true thou
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2022, 07:30 PM   #60
Keithmanny
Banned
Rep

Thats true now unlike me now i refer to drive straight...Smiles
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2022, 05:43 AM   #61
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfGTI View Post
99% of the people on here are all about straight-line driving much less about actually really driving the car.
It's unfortunate. They should really just get a Tesla. Those vehicles are rockets in a straight line up to 100mph.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2022, 08:08 AM   #62
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Any update if the maps were pushed? I'm not seeing any changes in the date, but don't know if the underlining map was just replaced.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 08:15 AM   #63
Wires
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

For those interested, the updated maps to address TC should be in your "OTS" map section this morning.

For those that like the old behavior, don't delete it from "My Maps" or you'll lose it for good!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 09:17 AM   #64
leew102
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 BMW 340i xdrive

Yup, looks like they updated the stage 2.0 map…I have a map pack, but I wonder what happens with the people who only got stage 2 and now don't have stage 2.0 included.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 09:48 AM   #65
culpability
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i Gran Coupe

Halim told me this morning they were pushing new maps and indeed, there is now a 2.3 version available in the OTS maps. Map notes: "Version 2.3, January 27, 2022: - Update for traction control, TCU limitation has been changed to allow for traction to properly reduce torque in an event of traction control."

Sooooo... not sure how folks are gonna continue to pretend that there was no problem when the manufacturer releases an update that specifically addresses the traction control problem.

TreDirtyFive I noticed that since its so torquey TC tends to cut in a lot more than you'd expect. Try taking TC off and I suspect you'll find that torque again.

CrimsonMoonLight72 Good news buddy the 2.3 map is now available.
      01-27-2022, 09:51 AM   #66
leew102
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 BMW 340i xdrive

Quote:
Halim told me this morning they were pushing new maps and indeed, there is now a 2.3 version available in the OTS maps. Map notes: "Version 2.3, January 27, 2022: - Update for traction control, TCU limitation has been changed to allow for traction to properly reduce torque in an event of traction control."

Sooooo... not sure how folks are gonna continue to pretend that there was no problem when the manufacturer releases an update that specifically addresses the traction control problem.

TreDirtyFive I noticed that since its so torquey TC tends to cut in a lot more than you'd expect. Try taking TC off and I suspect you'll find that torque again.

CrimsonMoonLight72 Good news buddy the 2.3 map is now available.
Ahh I must've jumped the gun. I see the updates on the stage 2 ones now too
Appreciate 0