F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > F30/F32/F33 Classifieds (For Sale / Trade / Wanted) > Vendor and Seller Review/Feedback Forum > Dealer sold car with underside splitter damage
GetBMWParts

10-20-2020, 06:07 PM   #1
shanks8687
Registered
Rep
Drives: 440i MPPK

Dealer sold car with underside splitter damage

Dear all,

I'm based in the UK. 3 weeks ago I brought a BMW 340i M sport shadow edition with 20,000 on the clock.

Took it for a road trip the following week; on the way I had the mppsk fitted. During the road trip (and starting to drive with more gusto) I noticed the steering was loose, there was a whistling noise and the whole front end feels like its coming off the road.

As soon as I got back, I took the car to my local garage assuming it was the alignment/ camber- this was found to be way off and I have thankfully got a photo of this! They also kindly showed me the underside of the car, which revealed a badly damaged front splitter with the main screw missing.

The dealer have agreed to sorting out the tracking/ alignment, but are refusing to sort out the splitter; their initial excuse for not sorting it out was it's "wear and tear", however as this splitter is causing the instability at speed, I would argue this is a safety issue. They are now saying the screw was there when the car was sold and as such won't cover the cost of a new splitter (as the bodyshop is saying it's too damaged to be simply repaired).

They have said I can refuse the car, on the proviso I remove the mppsk, but know they have me bent over a barrel as getting the original exhausts put back on is going to be impossible and leave me 2k out of pocket.

All I want is a non-damaged car that drives safely and normally!! Does anyone have some ideas as to what I can do?

Many thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 12:58 PM   #2
exE36M3
BMW CCA Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i M Sport

There are two types of splitters on the BMW F32... ones that are damaged and ones that will be damaged. I'm on my 3rd one in 3 years. 1 where I ran into a parking block and the other 2 were my kid and freeway thing hit it.

They are in the most highly hit area of the car - which is why nose cones are soft urethane versus metal.

So the dealer WILL fight you because they are broken quite often and somewhat easily.

The factory splitter is stupidly expensive... the aftermarket one about 75% less and just as durable. It's not difficult to remove, maybe 30 min of labor tops. Installation is about 1 hour.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 01:18 PM   #3
smrtypants44
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i

Are you talking about the splitter (additional piece attached to the bottom of the bumper-usually with glue or double sided tape) or the underbody cladding (large black panels screwed into bottom of bumper)

I hardly imagine a damaged splitter can cause any issues with driving, however if the underbody cladding is not fastened it could cause issues with airflow.