F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > How To -- A detailed guide to recording, reading, and understanding datalogs
Extreme Powerhouse

03-04-2024, 05:45 PM   #67
sigterm2.0
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
And the people you can make a post like this probably make YouTube videos nowadays and try to monetize.
Sickening. 🤮

Well, I'm glad you took the time... I've tuned and written engine management systems myself in the past, and I'm just coming to this platform. Maybe as I transition to BM3 I'll write something myself as I am having trouble finding info on actually tuning with BM3 since everything is either OTS maps or pay a "custom tuner".

Things like how these thousands of tables relate and influence each other, what are the most important tables values to modify to begin creating a base map for your car, and then what is needed for fine tuning and getting the most power and reliability from your tune are things I would think anyone who modifies their car would like to know. Well... Maybe not. I'm a science geek so the science of making power has fascinated me since I got my first car. 😁

For me, the small descriptions in the tables are really not all that great. It's slow going but I am getting there. Plus with all the information in the logs there is plenty of information to tune your own car. This "remote tuning" is just a guy reading your logs and taking base maps he has made for other people and making minor adjustments based on a little bit of personal criteria supplies by the client anyway. No reason that the client, with a little work and understanding, can't do the same thing... Viva la DIY! 😍😍😍
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2024, 05:55 PM   #68
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigterm2.0 View Post
Sickening. 🤮

Well, I'm glad you took the time... I've tuned and written engine management systems myself in the past, and I'm just coming to this platform. Maybe as I transition to BM3 I'll write something myself as I am having trouble finding info on actually tuning with BM3 since everything is either OTS maps or pay a "custom tuner".

Things like how these thousands of tables relate and influence each other, what are the most important tables values to modify to begin creating a base map for your car, and then what is needed for fine tuning and getting the most power and reliability from your tune are things I would think anyone who modifies their car would like to know. Well... Maybe not. I'm a science geek so the science of making power has fascinated me since I got my first car. 😁

For me, the small descriptions in the tables are really not all that great. It's slow going but I am getting there. Plus with all the information in the logs there is plenty of information to tune your own car. This "remote tuning" is just a guy reading your logs and taking base maps he has made for other people and making minor adjustments based on a little bit of personal criteria supplies by the client anyway. No reason that the client, with a little work and understanding, can't do the same thing... Viva la DIY! 😍😍😍
There might be other threads (and YT videos) dedicated to tuning. But i didnt really get into that here; this is more for the person just trying to understand their logs and make sure things look OK on their car, but not really adjust anything for themselves. There's one guy in the B58 section who has threads/YT videos (Kern something i think), but not sure if he does tuning related content.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 06:15 AM   #69
rennas99
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 135M 2011 E88 N55e PWG

MHD log interpretation

Hey guys, lurked for a while and have just bought a 2011 E88 DCT N55 PWG 135i with 92km on the clock.

It already had an MC chip tune, cat back exhaust and charge pipe upgrade. Unknown state of plugs and coils, assuming original. Stock FMIC but it's winter in Aus so it's not on the list till later in the year.

I purchased an MHD dongle and have been doing some logs (hopefully) capturing the relevant data to get some insight into the state of the engine and tune and moving towards making sure all the maintenance is up to scratch before moving on to more power.

The MC tune advertises 268kw (assumed crank?) and I see about 16psi peak on MHD but it does seem to struggle to hit the boost target over much of the pull (~3psi down).

I had it dyno'd at Boostworx the other week at only 188kw at the wheels which doesn't seem right - that would be close to or less than stock (225kw-drivetrain)... Also the torque curve was showing about 550Nm at 100km/h?

I also seem to be getting quite a lot of corrections ~6 degrees across all cylinders (to varying degrees).

Clean pull from 3rd to 4th this morning in cold ~7C ambient on 91 octane (I have some previous logs with 98 octane which look similar so it doesn't seem like corrections are octane related)

Datazap log here: https://datazap.me/u/rennas99/log-17...22-23-24-25-26

Can anyone please venture some feedback on the log and offer any advice?

Apologies if this is in the wrong section, still learning to navigate and find relevant active threads. Cheers.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Boostworx dyno chart_April 24.pdf (1.70 MB, 4 views)
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2024, 11:18 PM   #70
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rennas99 View Post
Hey guys, lurked for a while and have just bought a 2011 E88 DCT N55 PWG 135i with 92km on the clock.

It already had an MC chip tune, cat back exhaust and charge pipe upgrade. Unknown state of plugs and coils, assuming original. Stock FMIC but it's winter in Aus so it's not on the list till later in the year.

I purchased an MHD dongle and have been doing some logs (hopefully) capturing the relevant data to get some insight into the state of the engine and tune and moving towards making sure all the maintenance is up to scratch before moving on to more power.

The MC tune advertises 268kw (assumed crank?) and I see about 16psi peak on MHD but it does seem to struggle to hit the boost target over much of the pull (~3psi down).

I had it dyno'd at Boostworx the other week at only 188kw at the wheels which doesn't seem right - that would be close to or less than stock (225kw-drivetrain)... Also the torque curve was showing about 550Nm at 100km/h?

I also seem to be getting quite a lot of corrections ~6 degrees across all cylinders (to varying degrees).

Clean pull from 3rd to 4th this morning in cold ~7C ambient on 91 octane (I have some previous logs with 98 octane which look similar so it doesn't seem like corrections are octane related)

Datazap log here: https://datazap.me/u/rennas99/log-17...22-23-24-25-26

Can anyone please venture some feedback on the log and offer any advice?

Apologies if this is in the wrong section, still learning to navigate and find relevant active threads. Cheers.
I suggest posting your own new thread specific to your log review and any potential issues/diagnostics. This thread is more for discussion about help about logging itself, what parameters mean, etc. In your own thread you can keep the discussion going specific to your vehicle as you change things and do more logs etc.

But quick look based on the log you posted:

Boost is really only at like MPPK (<stage 1) levels. The relatively low boost target plus the fact that you are below boost target, combined with poor timing, is probably why the power numbers are as low as they are.

I would throw some new stock plugs stock gap in and see if timing improves. You can also pressure/smoke test for potential leaks.
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2024, 05:09 AM   #71
rennas99
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 135M 2011 E88 N55e PWG

Hey thanks man, will do 👍
Appreciate 0