F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Best option for pre-LCI Xenon upgrade on F30?
Extreme Powerhouse

03-07-2024, 12:31 PM   #1
vascoBX
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 335xi

Best option for pre-LCI Xenon upgrade on F30?

Hi, I recently bought a F30 335xi with adaptive Xenon headlights.

Unfortunately, I had to replace the front fender liner and it looks like water damage and corrosion has damaged my passenger side headlight. My mechanic has suggested I replace the unit entirely (after I initially thought I just needed a new module).

Due to the costs of one OEM headlight, I have been thinking about trying to do a LED upgrade for both headlights. Something like this: https://www.inlinesixauto.com/produc...42504953102491

I have no way of knowing if these are quality, or if they are merely dropship Aliexpress specials that are priced higher. Does anyone have any experience with upgrading Xenon -> LED lights on their F30, or anything else I should be considering? There are tons of options out there (mostly for Halogens), and I'm trying to learn about what what be best for my needs. Looking for something that looks close to OEM LED, so nothing too out there.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 12:49 PM   #2
toxik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6MT

you're best off getting another adaptive xenon headlight. light rating wise adaptive xenons are better than the LED headlights on the F30 LCI models, probably even worse on the chinese replica lights that you posted as those arent OEM. Adaptive LED lights are much better but very expensive and still don't have as good of light output as your adaptive xenons. I had adaptive xenons on an e92 before, and have a F30 that came with standard LEDs, the headlights were so poor I couldn't believe it. I upgraded to adaptive LEDs this past summer and its much more acceptable but still not as good as BMWs older lights with xenon projectors.

the one upside to newer style LED lights is that they angel eye design is cooler and more modern, they definitely look better but they dont perform better.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2024, 01:11 PM   #3
vascoBX
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 335xi

Thanks, my fear is I'll have to replace the other one soon anyways so thought might be a good idea to just get a set - but definitely see the value in keeping the Xenons.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2024, 04:16 PM   #4
YASBBYM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Cs Lamborghini Huracan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vascoBX View Post
Thanks, my fear is I'll have to replace the other one soon anyways so thought might be a good idea to just get a set - but definitely see the value in keeping the Xenons.
Keep the Xenon’s. The F30/F31 LED Headlights are much dimmer.

Order Hella (same company that produces the OEM Xenon’s) from Europe, left hand drive. I ordered and used the Hella. The Magenti Marelli also make OEM Headlights for BMW and may be just as good. I just can personally vouch for the Hellas.

You will find both Companies logo on the white sticker on your F30 Headlights.

GET THE ADAPTIVE MODEL WITH THE AKM which has the shutter the USA headlights do not. Will allow you to code to use the anti-dazzle feature which is amazing.

I’ve purchased from this Company. They subtract the 20% VAT when sending to USA. And shipping wasn’t bad at all. It’s not Free Delivery to USA btw, so ignore that.

As you already have the Adaptive Xenon’s, you simply move the Bulb and Modules over to the new one. And no rewiring the harness.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0