F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > SUV Daily
proTUNING Freaks
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-21-2015, 11:00 AM   #1
Postell
Private
8
Rep
76
Posts

Drives: 2012 Boss 302 Kona Blue
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: USA

iTrader: (1)

SUV Daily

Looking to get a SUV for around 5k for a daily/hauler. Thinking about a 4 runner or tahoe/suburban. Anything special to look for or other recommendations? special maintenance concerns or problems with these trucks?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 11:14 AM   #2
KingOfJericho
Major General
KingOfJericho's Avatar
United_States
1320
Rep
6,574
Posts

Drives: Yes
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CT

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2010 135i Coupe  [2.63]
At that price point you are looking at older cars with older car problems. I know in my personal experience that my family's 1998 4Runner was just donated two weeks ago with 334k on the clock and it still started right up and ran fine. It's definitely not as big as those other options but it will age better, IMO.
__________________
The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of Bimmerpost.

2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude Hemi | 2010 S4 Sold | 2010 BMW 135i Retired | 2006 Lotus Exige Sold
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 12:07 PM   #3
iDriveanXi
Second Lieutenant
11
Rep
231
Posts

Drives: 2007 328xi
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Xi Cherokee is always a good choice. 4.0 is bullet proof
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 12:40 PM   #4
ShocknAwe
Major General
ShocknAwe's Avatar
United_States
1898
Rep
6,607
Posts

Drives: E82 N54
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Charleston

iTrader: (16)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDriveanXi View Post
Xi Cherokee is always a good choice. 4.0 is bullet proof
Not sure I'd call the 4.0 bullet proof for high mileage engines. Tend to spontaneously blow ~150k miles from what I've seen.

OP: I'd go Toyota.
__________________
2010 135i M-Sport 6MT Jet Black
N54 | BUILD THREAD
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 04:33 PM   #5
HOGGLIFE
Second Lieutenant
22
Rep
247
Posts

Drives: 2011 AW/CR 135
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (5)

I would be concerned that your budget is going to shoehorn you into a shitbox. That's likely because I sell cars and that's what a $5k budget buys you these days.

I would suggest a Volvo 240 wagon.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 05:11 PM   #6
gtaccord
Major
United_States
50
Rep
1,458
Posts

Drives: 2009 BMW 335xi
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Maryland

iTrader: (7)

Garage List
5k will not get you any decent 4runner that is not at least 20 years old. It won't get you much of a jeep either. Unless you plan on not putting on much mileage or buying a fixer upper, 8-10k is about the minimum for a good jeep or Toyota suv.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 07:54 PM   #7
pukicabuki
Lieutenant
109
Rep
521
Posts

Drives: something with 4 wheels
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Oregon

iTrader: (0)

+1 on a 4runner.

Might be tough to find a nice one for under $5k but they're holding their value for a reason. I had a 2nd gen ('97) with 200k on it and it never gave me a problem. I'd still have it if some d-bag hadn't run a red light and totaled it ('06).
__________________
'14 SQ5
'13 Land Cruiser
'94 TT Supra Hardtop
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2015, 10:34 PM   #8
W///
Lieutenant General
W///'s Avatar
4171
Rep
10,846
Posts

Drives: 08 E92 M3 /07 Z4MR / 99 E36 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

iTrader: (13)

For the record, I bought my 97 4runner V6 Sr5 for $3k, but put about $2k into it right off the bat. Pretty much all the electronics work even at 300k miles (minus AC). Serves its purpose a true beater really well
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 11:10 AM   #9
Postell
Private
8
Rep
76
Posts

Drives: 2012 Boss 302 Kona Blue
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: USA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
For the record, I bought my 97 4runner V6 Sr5 for $3k, but put about $2k into it right off the bat. Pretty much all the electronics work even at 300k miles (minus AC). Serves its purpose a true beater really well
what did you spend the 2k on to get the car in running order?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 11:29 AM   #10
W///
Lieutenant General
W///'s Avatar
4171
Rep
10,846
Posts

Drives: 08 E92 M3 /07 Z4MR / 99 E36 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postell View Post
what did you spend the 2k on to get the car in running order?
On top of my head, pretty basic stuff. Tires, brakes and rotors (up front), new radiator, alternator, battery, alignment, spark plugs + wires.

Things like that. Granted, I DIY'ed almost everything. Like everyone said, you probably aren't going to get a turn key 4Runner or Jeep for under $5k, and even then it'll probably need some kind of work.
__________________
Current: E92 M3 Sparkling Graphite/Bamboo Beige/6MT. E36 M3 Techno Violet/Dove/5MT. E85 Z4MR Alpine White/Imola Red/6MT
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 12:13 PM   #11
Postell
Private
8
Rep
76
Posts

Drives: 2012 Boss 302 Kona Blue
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: USA

iTrader: (1)

what do yall think about the next gen 4 runners? some 03-04s come up a little above my price range
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 02:24 PM   #12
pgviper
Captain
United_States
217
Rep
815
Posts

Drives: X5
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Brooklyn, NY

iTrader: (0)

My parents have a 2000 tahoe that is still running strong with 150k miles on it. Easily tows around our track car in case you need to tow your Boss 302 to the track.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 03:04 AM   #13
reihani
Second Lieutenant
18
Rep
242
Posts

Drives: 2011 X5M
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (0)

Suzuki grand vitara.

Last edited by reihani; 01-25-2015 at 03:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 08:34 AM   #14
DASHOCKER
The power of V!
DASHOCKER's Avatar
Germany
79
Rep
1,973
Posts

Drives: 2007 335i coupe steptronic
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
1998 Lexus Gs400  [0.00]
2010 ebony & ivory  [0.00]
2006 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 pics  [0.00]
2009 e92 335 xdrive  [0.00]
Send a message via Yahoo to DASHOCKER
rav 4
__________________
2007 335 coupe Alpine white, steptronic, sportpack, etc. (gone)
2006 X3 3.0 steptronic Titanium Silver, 2009 E92 335xdrive, next.... Caddy CTS_V! 13 Lincoln MKZ? hmmm.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 12:50 PM   #15
drewnel22
Captain
drewnel22's Avatar
United_States
137
Rep
989
Posts

Drives: 2016 Subaru WRX
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Roanoke, Va

iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
On top of my head, pretty basic stuff. Tires, brakes and rotors (up front), new radiator, alternator, battery, alignment, spark plugs + wires.

Things like that. Granted, I DIY'ed almost everything. Like everyone said, you probably aren't going to get a turn key 4Runner or Jeep for under $5k, and even then it'll probably need some kind of work.
I got my 2000 XJ Cherokee for 4500 (probably paid a slightly more than I should have) but it runs great. Only have done spark plugs, oil change, O2 sensor and cleaned the throttle body. I got it with 144k miles on it. The only other issues is the AC doesn't work (will fix that) and the door speakers don't work (minor). It has done everything I've asked of it so far.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 01:23 PM   #16
W///
Lieutenant General
W///'s Avatar
4171
Rep
10,846
Posts

Drives: 08 E92 M3 /07 Z4MR / 99 E36 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10splaya22 View Post
I got my 2000 XJ Cherokee for 4500 (probably paid a slightly more than I should have) but it runs great. Only have done spark plugs, oil change, O2 sensor and cleaned the throttle body. I got it with 144k miles on it. The only other issues is the AC doesn't work (will fix that) and the door speakers don't work (minor). It has done everything I've asked of it so far.
That's not too bad at all. The thing about these DD's (at least in my case) is that I trust them to a certain extent. Have no problem driving around town with them when I need to, not sure I'd take it on an extended trip. I think what the OP has to remember is that most of us here are car enthusiast, so I know at least in my case, I'd change all the fluids right away, whereas some people will just drive them. I know the more I dug in to the car, the more basic things I wanted to do.

Did you go to Tech? Class of 08 myself. Check out the license plate frame
__________________
Current: E92 M3 Sparkling Graphite/Bamboo Beige/6MT. E36 M3 Techno Violet/Dove/5MT. E85 Z4MR Alpine White/Imola Red/6MT
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 01:59 PM   #17
drewnel22
Captain
drewnel22's Avatar
United_States
137
Rep
989
Posts

Drives: 2016 Subaru WRX
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Roanoke, Va

iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
That's not too bad at all. The thing about these DD's (at least in my case) is that I trust them to a certain extent. Have no problem driving around town with them when I need to, not sure I'd take it on an extended trip. I think what the OP has to remember is that most of us here are car enthusiast, so I know at least in my case, I'd change all the fluids right away, whereas some people will just drive them. I know the more I dug in to the car, the more basic things I wanted to do.

Did you go to Tech? Class of 08 myself. Check out the license plate frame
+1. Exactly. There is lots that I want to do but it still runs great so I haven't gotten to it yet. Plus not having a garage makes things a little more difficult.

And yes I graduated in 2013 and live in Roanoke now. Haven't gone too far yet. What did you get your degree in?

And I love your car too
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 02:30 PM   #18
Gle8
Private
11
Rep
99
Posts

Drives: 2007 Z4Mc
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Philadelphia

iTrader: (0)

I picked up a 2000 CR-v with 130k miles a few months ago. Paid $1,500, put about $1K into struts/exhaust/radiator/etc. Runs like a top now for minimal investment. May not be as big as your other choices, but it's big enough to haul most things, and small enough to still park in the city. One of the best all-around dailies I've owned, and I've owned quite a few. Might be worth looking into a CR-v.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 03:11 PM   #19
W///
Lieutenant General
W///'s Avatar
4171
Rep
10,846
Posts

Drives: 08 E92 M3 /07 Z4MR / 99 E36 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10splaya22 View Post
+1. Exactly. There is lots that I want to do but it still runs great so I haven't gotten to it yet. Plus not having a garage makes things a little more difficult.

And yes I graduated in 2013 and live in Roanoke now. Haven't gone too far yet. What did you get your degree in?

And I love your car too
That's the beauty of these beaters. I haven't washed my 4Runner in like almost 2 years, but it just keeps trucking along

I studied mechanical engineering. Last time I went back to Blacksburg, got a 55 in a 35 mph right outside of Blacksburg.
__________________
Current: E92 M3 Sparkling Graphite/Bamboo Beige/6MT. E36 M3 Techno Violet/Dove/5MT. E85 Z4MR Alpine White/Imola Red/6MT
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2015, 03:46 PM   #20
drewnel22
Captain
drewnel22's Avatar
United_States
137
Rep
989
Posts

Drives: 2016 Subaru WRX
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Roanoke, Va

iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
That's the beauty of these beaters. I haven't washed my 4Runner in like almost 2 years, but it just keeps trucking along

I studied mechanical engineering. Last time I went back to Blacksburg, got a 55 in a 35 mph right outside of Blacksburg.
Yea I did mechanical too. And yes those cops will get you if you don't watch out lol. The VT parking police are even worse though!
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:25 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST