F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion > I think Tesla will be gone in ten years
Extreme Powerhouse

09-24-2019, 02:18 PM   #2399
King_Leonard
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X2 M35i

Random thought:
He who controls the supercharging network will rule the future EV industry.
I surmise this is Elon's end game for Tesla??
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 11:39 AM   #2400
iconoclast
Self-Deprecating Narcissist
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi BMW Ferrari LR MB RR

https://www.zerohedge.com/technology...it-four-nearby
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2019, 12:15 PM   #2401
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconoclast View Post
Another day, another bad rap for Tesla...

Sorry, I see this as a good news for Tesla.
First, there's nothing indicating nor is anyone else insinuating that this has anything to do with any Tesla-specific feature, like auto-pilot. There are literally hundreds of fatal crashes every day all over the world, this is just one of them.
The Tesla could have continued going due to momentum, not auto-pilot. Is it that rare that a car crashes and continue going and hit pedestrians?
Second, the Honda gets hit head-on with such force that the engine and transmission gets pushed into the cabin and dislodges completely from the car. That probably contributed to killing the passenger.
OTOH, not having an engine at all, the Tesla's frunk worked as a crumple zone and completely absorbed the energy. The passenger cabin is relatively intact (look at the pictures).
Where's the bad news?

Last edited by MPBK; 09-25-2019 at 01:42 PM..
Appreciate 1
      09-25-2019, 01:35 PM   #2402
Mason Hatcher
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

From the article
Quote:
Police are now investigating whether or not impairment played a part in the crash.
As a former cop I investigated MANY accidents. It is not uncommon from cars to continue moving after the initial collision. I am not aware that brakes are automatically applied upon impact. If the operator is unconscious or unable to brake it is easy for any vehicle to keep moving.

Heck, just watch a few car crash you tube videos.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 08:27 AM   #2403
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

HAHAHA:
https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/09/...h-speed-chase/

HAHAHA:
https://elkodaily.com/news/local/tru...eadb8c378.html
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 12:18 PM   #2404
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

I was expecting a good laugh, but this doesn't qualify.

Quote:
How is this different from a cop picking up an ICE car that had an empty tank from the previous shift?

"The used 2014 Tesla Model S is considered part of a pilot program, to determine whether electric vehicles are suitable for police use on a larger scale.
“So far so good,” Washington said, noting there is usually about 40 to 50 percent battery life left after a normal shift. “We are easily able to make it through an 11-hour shift with battery power to spare.” "

Quote:
"According to a Tesla spokesperson, the cause of the fire was related to the carrier truck, not to the vehicles on the truck."
Appreciate 2
      09-26-2019, 07:54 PM   #2405
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '17 Nardo Grey M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiss'er View Post
It is inevitable though. In 10 years the ICE may very well be gone.
No way will that happen in a mere decade. It won't happen even before most of us are dead and gone.
Appreciate 3
      09-27-2019, 02:03 PM   #2406
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
"According to a Tesla spokesperson, the cause of the fire was related to the carrier truck, not to the vehicles on the truck."
Did you expect Tesla to say anything else? Every other news outlet has stated that the cause of the fire has not been determined yet.

In similar news:
https://www.latimes.com/business/sto...uck-ntsb-finds

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2019, 02:17 PM   #2407
eurekaa
Registered
Rep
Drives: suzuki

YES, they will survive 10 next years and they will continue to grow and innovate as they keep on updating themselves. It's like as we refer 192.168.0.10 guide for long life of router. As the model ... Co-author Super Thinking, Traction. Updated Jun ... Will Tesla as an automobile manufacturer still be in business.

Last edited by eurekaa; 11-22-2019 at 11:30 PM..
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2019, 04:21 PM   #2408
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

Sounds promising. You should invest in them based on that co-author's opinion but first check this out:

https://www.zerohedge.com/technology...6-sequentially
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2019, 10:48 PM   #2409
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
Quote:
Sounds promising. You should invest in them based on that co-author's opinion but first check this out:

https://www.zerohedge.com/technology...6-sequentially
I hate to go there, but you read zerohedge Way the fuck too much.
How can anyone take the non economic views of this website seriously?

https://www.zerohedge.com/
      09-28-2019, 10:49 PM   #2410
Captain Blood
Pirate and thief, avast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i DCT

Garage List
2012 135  [5.00]
I don't want to start a whole new thread on Elon musk, but his presentation of the starship tonight was very impressive. SpaceX is extraordinarily impressive!
      09-28-2019, 11:41 PM   #2411
vreihen16
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i3 BEV

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blood View Post
I don't want to start a whole new thread on Elon musk, but his presentation of the starship tonight was very impressive. SpaceX is extraordinarily impressive!
As much as I love what SpaceX is doing with the Falcon stuff, Musk looked confused bordering on stoned during the Starship webcast tonight IMHO. I have never heard him speak for more than sound bites before today, so maybe he just isn't the most fluid/polished speaker on a big stage? He seemed to have an excellent grasp on all of the technical details and design decisions even if he couldn't communicate them smoothly, but have to question his ambitious timelines when government approvals are still a hurdle.....
      09-30-2019, 08:40 AM   #2412
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

"People Are Already Reporting Collisions With Tesla’s Driverless Smart Summon Feature"

https://www.thedrive.com/news/30074/...summon-feature

"Frightening Videos Surface Of Tesla's "Smart" Summon Feature"

https://www.zerohedge.com/technology...summon-feature

https://twitter.com/MelaynaLokosky/s...896192/video/1
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2019, 09:28 AM   #2413
joshuastein55
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mercedes-Benz/BMW

Quote:
"People Are Already Reporting Collisions With Tesla's Driverless Smart Summon Feature"

https://www.thedrive.com/news/30074/...summon-feature

"Frightening Videos Surface Of Tesla's "Smart" Summon Feature"

https://www.zerohedge.com/technology...summon-feature

https://twitter.com/MelaynaLokosky/s...896192/video/1
I'm not even at all a little bit shocked about this is already happening. When did walking to your car become such a chore?
iconoclast3455.00
Robin_NL4941.00

09-30-2019, 10:30 AM   #2414
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

It has nothing to do with necessity but novelty. I've had the auto-parking and adaptive cruise control on many vehicles outside of when I first got them to test the feature I never used it again. I can't imagine a time I would use this except to show to people who don't care.
Appreciate 2
530iDriver1022.50
Robin_NL4941.00

10-03-2019, 04:00 PM   #2415
iconoclast
No_Country
Rep

NHTSA & Tesla Summon Feature:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...k-about-safety

"TESLA IS A TECH COMPANY THAT MAKES CARS!" Apparently they cant even make tech either. Well done. Another MUStake in the books.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 07:39 PM   #2416
AlpineX
Captain
Rep
Drives: Diesel

Additional fees for hybrid and EV https://komonews.com/news/local/wash...-electric-cars
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2019, 09:43 PM   #2417
arkie6
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
In Arkansas on Oct. 1, the annual tag renewal fee increased from $25 to $200 per year for plug-in electrics and $100 for hybrids. They also raised the gasoline tax $0.03/gallon and the diesel tax $0.06/gallon, but our total gasoline tax per gallon is less than half of Pennsylvania or California or Washington.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 10:17 PM   #2418
IK6SPEED
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sq86 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
My point is simple....that what you claim to be a BMW failure was not.

No Corporate Head of a Public Company would dare continue full steam ahead on a program that was seen as a Company "failure".
Reread my second to last post and maybe you'll understand. I'm not going to debate this further.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sq86 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by trey100 View Post
Nice try at turning this into "changing to stay ahead of the competition". How about addressing his lack of creating a beautiful and different design rather than what we have which is different and ugly design?
Those are all subjective statements. We all find different things beautiful or ugly......tasty or nasty.....etc. There are no definitive answers when it comes to subjective things.
Right… just like Jennifer Lawrence, Scarlett Johansson, or Jennifer Lopez are "subjectively" attractive. There are underlying themes which cause us to see "beauty." One may be more important to you than I but there's certain shared commonalities. I understand what you're trying to get at but you have to call a spade a spade when you see one. And this is a Fugly one.

The most poignant line I took away from his commentary was this: "If you are no longer successful, people will immediately start saying you need to make changes, but then you are in panic mode." This is where they're at right now, or about to be. The poop is about to hit the fan in Munich. They're already under pressure considering their failed (in their eyes) EV/hybrid rollout. Seems like a bad time to start messing with design language at this point but we've seen failures happen before. It's just a hard pill to swallow for those of us who enjoyed those shared design commonalities for so long before this.
Let's remember that you were the first to bring up the EVs and call them a failure in this thread.

So quit telling me I took the thread off topic.

And clearly you do not understand Corporations.
      10-11-2019, 11:28 PM   #2419
GrussGott
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4

Garage List
2011 E93 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Let's remember that you were the first to bring up the EVs and call them a failure in this thread.
Not to dump petrol on this battery fire, but BMW did indeed fail on BEVs, certainly by the numbers. Further, BMW's head of dev, Klaus Fröhlich is constantly saying stupid crap like this from June:
"There are no customer requests for BEVs. None. … There are regulator requests for BEVs, but no customer requests. … If we have a big offer, a big incentive, we could flood Europe and sell a million cars, but Europeans won’t buy these things."
We can see the failure if we take sales numbers from 1h2019 in the top European BEV markets - Norway, Sweden, and the Netherlands - where BMW sold ~4,100 i3s and Tesla sold ~13,000 Model 3s, a 3:1 loss in key markets against just Tesla. The only country where i3 sales come close is Germany and Tesla still beats BMW in sales. And keep in mind, this is JUST Tesla and JUST the 3, not other Tesla models or other BEVs.

So, yes, BMW's electric strategy is an absolute failure, however they have no choice but to proceed and double down, which is why Keuger is out. From Bloomberg:
As Krueger puzzled over how to reinvent BMW for the electric age, it was almost a year before he presented his strategic vision — which was a bust. He delayed BMW’s next major electric car, effectively squandering its leadership in the field. Key engineers quit to set up an electric-vehicle startup. And to help pay for the shift, Krueger doubled down on gas-guzzling, super-charged luxury cars such as the 8-Series sports car and full-size X7 SUV.

BMW took its head start in electric cars for granted and then failed to hit the accelerator again when needed,” said Christian Ludwig, an analyst at Bankhaus Lampe in Bielefeld, Germany.
Ironically, here's what Krueger said in June:
“We have taken numerous decisions that we are now bringing to the road. By 2021, we will have doubled our sales of electrified vehicles compared with 2019.”
Note that even if Krueger's prediction comes to pass they still lose in sales to just Tesla alone, not accounting for any other competitors.

Horrendous sales numbers, failed strategy, ousted CEO = failure.

Back on topic of the new g8x design: there's bravery, and then there's hold-my-beer stupidity ... which is this? Well, a lead designer usually doesn't put out a letter defending bravery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I thought the next M4 was going to be a flying car powered by bloomin' onions and a teaspoon of mayonnaise. At least that's what I read on the internet @ BimmerPoop.org.

Last edited by GrussGott; 10-11-2019 at 11:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2019, 11:33 PM   #2420
mfurse
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3 2016 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Quote:
Not to dump petrol on this battery fire, but BMW did indeed fail on BEVs, certainly by the numbers. Further, BMW's head of dev, Klaus Fröhlich is constantly saying stupid crap like this from June:
"There are no customer requests for BEVs. None. … There are regulator requests for BEVs, but no customer requests. … If we have a big offer, a big incentive, we could flood Europe and sell a million cars, but Europeans won't buy these things."

We can see the failure if we take sales numbers from 1h2019 in the top European BEV markets - Norway, Sweden, and the Netherlands - where BMW sold ~4,100 i3s and Tesla sold ~13,000 Model 3s, a 3:1 loss in key markets against just Tesla. The only country where i3 sales come close is Germany and Tesla still beats BMW in sales. And keep in mind, this is JUST Tesla and JUST the 3, not other Tesla models or other BEVs.

So, yes, BMW's electric strategy is an absolute failure, however they have no choice but to proceed and double down, which is why Keuger is out. From Bloomberg:
As Krueger puzzled over how to reinvent BMW for the electric age, it was almost a year before he presented his strategic vision — which was a bust. He delayed BMW's next major electric car, effectively squandering its leadership in the field. Key engineers quit to set up an electric-vehicle startup. And to help pay for the shift, Krueger doubled down on gas-guzzling, super-charged luxury cars such as the 8-Series sports car and full-size X7 SUV.

"BMW took its head start in electric cars for granted and then failed to hit the accelerator again when needed," said Christian Ludwig, an analyst at Bankhaus Lampe in Bielefeld, Germany.
Ironically, here's what Krueger said in June:
"We have taken numerous decisions that we are now bringing to the road. By 2021, we will have doubled our sales of electrified vehicles compared with 2019."
Not that even if that comes to pass they still lose in sales to just Tesla alone, not accounting for any other competitors.
I know it's off topic but if BMW come up with a sensibly priced Tesla Model 3 competitor (3 series sized full EV with strong performance and interior space - I'll chop my M3 in. Just can't quite bring myself to buy a Tesla, even though they tick a few boxes.
Appreciate 0