F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > F30 Climate panel swap for heated seats retrofit - help
Studio RSR

09-18-2019, 02:52 PM   #1
boltos12
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW f30 320d ED 2012

F30 Climate panel swap for heated seats retrofit - help

Hi,

I've upgraded my cloth seats to heated leather ones. My next step was to get the headed part of the seats working.

As far as i know I need to:

1. fit a new climate control panel with the heated seats buttons
2. Wire ups the seats
3. Code the new climate control panel.

I've purchased a new climate panel from ebay, when i've plugged this in and I expected the panel to work as before but without the heated seats lights working. Coding would just be a case of enabling the heated seat buttons

What it actually does, the rear demister LED flashes and the other buttons and knobs don't respond. The display only has a couple of things illuminated.

Is this because i've bought an incompatible panel for my car? Or does it need more 'Coding' to work? I can't find any posts on the forum that describe the symptoms i'm seeing.

My old panel doesn't have any part number stickers on it so I can be sure what i've got.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank,

Simon
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 04:41 PM   #2
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltos12 View Post
Hi,

I've upgraded my cloth seats to heated leather ones. My next step was to get the headed part of the seats working.

2. Wire ups the seats

I've purchased a new climate panel from ebay, when i've plugged this in and I expected the panel to work as before but without the heated seats lights working. Coding would just be a case of enabling the heated seat buttons

What it actually does, the rear demister LED flashes and the other buttons and knobs don't respond. The display only has a couple of things illuminated.

Is this because i've bought an incompatible panel for my car? Or does it need more 'Coding' to work? I can't find any posts on the forum that describe the symptoms i'm seeing.

My old panel doesn't have any part number stickers on it so I can be sure what i've got.

Thank,

Simon
Not enough info to diagnose
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 07:17 AM   #3
helix247
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 2013 328i

Quote:
Hi,

2. Wire ups the seats

Thank,

Simon
Search for the LCI climate panel retrofit threads. Some have pictures. Check if these match your new part. If it matches, there is a bit more to it then panel part.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 11:05 AM   #4
boltos12
Registered
Rep

My car is a 2012 so pre-LCI - The part number on the panel i've bought is BMW 641193541 46-02. There is what looks to be a date on it 01.05.15.

I had thought the LCI panels have a different lcd display which changes colour, when I plug this panel into my car the parts of the lcd that do light up look identical to my current one.

I was hoping to catch someone on here who has done the swap and can say if there is coding required or not.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 12:12 PM   #5
boltos12
Registered
Rep

The original panel and the new one.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-22-2019, 03:44 PM   #6
helix247
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 2013 328i

Quote:
The original panel and the new one.
Thats the new version. I think you need the panel for cars made 2014 or less. Search for the threads. Its all there.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 09:17 AM   #7
Michael340i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i Touring, Aston Martin

Garage List
Quote:
I was hoping to catch someone on here who has done the swap and can say if there is coding required or not.
I have done the swap and no coding was needed. Mine is an April 2018 car, and was lucky enough to find a January 2018 panel with the heated seat buttons, I swapped the panels and drove around with that for a few weeks whilst I sourced everything else needed. Everything worked, no faults were indicated at any time.

It looks like you need a panel from the same approximate date as your car
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 03:11 PM   #8
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

F30 retrofit IHKA to IHKA3 possible?

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1274250
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 03:12 PM   #9
sykesda
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael340i View Post
Quote:
I have done the swap and no coding was needed. Mine is an April 2018 car, and was lucky enough to find a January 2018 panel with the heated seat buttons, I swapped the panels and drove around with that for a few weeks whilst I sourced everything else needed. Everything worked, no faults were indicated at any time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael340i View Post
Quote:

I know this was a while ago but did you retrofit heated seats? I'm in the process of doing this but the wires I've just received don't seem to be long enough to reach from the seat module to the fuse box and rem? Any tips?
Appreciate 0