F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > TCB/ATM Adapter
ARMA SPEED

12-18-2019, 11:51 PM   #1
DavidSTryk
Private First Class
Denmark
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D F34 Gran Turismo

TCB/ATM Adapter

Hey guys,

Long story short - my F31 LCI came with business navigation and tcb module. I have a NBT EVO retrofitted. chose the version which has the GPS connector as well as the OABR connector meaning gps works fine as i'm using the tcb module for that part.

However i'd like to get the connected Drive working as well and i read that it's possible to buy a TCB to ATM adapter on Ebay.. Does anyone have any experience with one such thing? Would it just require a new ATM module and the harness and connect the two? Or can i use a used ATM module and the harness to connect the used ATM to my current TCB ?

Please do spare me the flames and just comment if you actially have some useful info as i know this is doable from older posts but i just need more info ...

So here's hoping someone has actually done it and knows what's what...

Have a nice day guys..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 10:14 AM   #2
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSTryk View Post
Hey guys,

Long story short - my F31 LCI came with business navigation and tcb module. I have a NBT EVO retrofitted. chose the version which has the GPS connector as well as the OABR connector meaning gps works fine as i'm using the tcb module for that part.

However i'd like to get the connected Drive working as well and i read that it's possible to buy a TCB to ATM adapter on Ebay.. Does anyone have any experience with one such thing? Would it just require a new ATM module and the harness and connect the two? Or can i use a used ATM module and the harness to connect the used ATM to my current TCB ?

Please do spare me the flames and just comment if you actially have some useful info as i know this is doable from older posts but i just need more info ...

Have a nice day guys..
The TCB and the ATM (as well as newer ATM2) are all Telcom boxes. They essentially all do the same thing. Only one is used in the car at any time.

The TCB and ATM plugs/connections are totally different so it's not as simple as unplugging the TCB and plugging in the ATM. Even finding the connecting plugs for an ATM is a challenge as they are not listed in any BMW source.

The easiest solution is to buy a premade retrofit harness for roughly £150.

Several in USA have reported that they purchased a new ATM from their Dealer coded to their VIN. As their car was not factory wired for an ATM this seems suspicious in and of itself as the system should indicate that part is not compatible with their car. When questioned further about Connected Drive Services etc. none of the members would respond, drawing more doubt that they succeeded as they expected.

Considering Connected Drive Services are based on the the VIN along with the car options in the VIN Build, there seems to be no way that this would work to implement connected drive services.

There are other threads on buying a used ATM from a donor vehicle in the same Country that the original owner or dealer did NOT register the unit with BMW so that it can be registered by someone else.

If you can find these rare unicorns, it can be done. I know that for a fact, having assisted someone accomplish it earlier this month on a different thread.

The other way is to take the esim from your TCB and transplant into an ATM in your car (after wiring retrofit is done). This take a good amount of skill working and soldering miniature electronic circuits.

Again, the only Connected a Drive Services that would be available once again depends on your VIN, options and build. And the unit would only work for as long as the 2G or 3G service the TCB originally used was still activate.

For those reasons, and especially if you do not currently have a 4G TCB, I do not see that as a viable longer term solution, especially in USA, where many will lose their service over the next year or so.

Last edited by IK6SPEED; 12-19-2019 at 10:21 AM..
Appreciate 2
Poochie9104.50
      12-19-2019, 12:16 PM   #3
DavidSTryk
Private First Class
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
Quote:
Hey guys,

Have a nice day guys..
The TCB and the ATM (as well as newer ATM2) are all Telcom boxes. They essentially all do the same thing. Only one is used in the car at any time.

The TCB and ATM plugs/connections are totally different so it's not as simple as unplugging the TCB and plugging in the ATM. Even finding the connecting plugs for an ATM is a challenge as they are not listed in any BMW source.

Several in USA have reported that they purchased a new ATM from their Dealer coded to their VIN. As their car was not factory wired for an ATM this seems suspicious in and of itself as the system should indicate that part is not compatible with their car. When questioned further about Connected Drive Services etc. none of the members would respond, drawing more doubt that they succeeded as they expected.

Considering Connected Drive Services are based on the the VIN along with the car options in the VIN Build, there seems to be no way that this would work to implement connected drive services.

There are other threads on buying a used ATM from a donor vehicle in the same Country that the original owner or dealer did NOT register the unit with BMW so that it can be registered by someone else.

If you can find these rare unicorns, it can be done. I know that for a fact, having assisted someone accomplish it earlier this month on a different thread.

The other way is to take the esim from your TCB and transplant into an ATM in your car (after wiring retrofit is done). This take a good amount of skill working and soldering miniature electronic circuits.

Again, the only Connected a Drive Services that would be available once again depends on your VIN, options and build. And the unit would only work for as long as the 2G or 3G service the TCB originally used was still activate.

For those reasons, and especially if you do not currently have a 4G TCB, I do not see that as a viable longer term solution, especially in USA, where many will lose their service over the next year or so.

Thanks for the great write up! It makes sense ... I guess I'll just live with the missing connected service then
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 01:52 PM   #4
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hey guys,

Have a nice day guys..

Thanks for the great write up! It makes sense ... I guess I'll just live with the missing connected service then
It can be done.

It's just a matter of how much you want Connected Drive Services.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 02:11 PM   #5
psyki
E36fiend
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i xDrive

Garage List
2014 435i xDrive  [0.00]
2014 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Or you can play the lottery buying used ATMs and hope that the one you buy hasn't been registered on the connecteddrive website yet. I purchased one from IK6SPEED that he had tested to be good, I believe he has another one for sale in the Electronics section of the members classified.

I just did this retrofit and it's sweet, I love the updated software and the connecteddrive services provide a lot more functionality than on my pre-ID4 NBT.
Appreciate 1
IK6SPEED4488.00
      12-19-2019, 02:40 PM   #6
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 BMW M3

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyki View Post
Or you can play the lottery buying used ATMs and hope that the one you buy hasn't been registered on the connecteddrive website yet. I purchased one from IK6SPEED that he had tested to be good, I believe he has another one for sale in the Electronics section of the members classified.

I just did this retrofit and it's sweet, I love the updated software and the connecteddrive services provide a lot more functionality than on my pre-ID4 NBT.
I have taken ownership of every single used ATM I have bought except one that came from a crashed rental car. As long as the donor vehicle was not a fleet car it can be easily done.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 04:55 PM   #7
psyki
E36fiend
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 435i xDrive  [0.00]
2014 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickco43 View Post
I have taken ownership of every single used ATM I have bought except one that came from a crashed rental car. As long as the donor vehicle was not a fleet car it can be easily done.
That may be, just stating for record that there is no way to know for sure if you'll be able to register an ATM online until you have it in your possession and have tried for yourself.
Appreciate 2
IK6SPEED4488.00
Poochie9104.50
      12-19-2019, 05:43 PM   #8
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I have a number of used ATMs I will happily sell you if you are so sure of that.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 06:22 PM   #9
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
I have a number of used ATMs I will happily sell you if you are so sure of that.
Send me a PM. As long as they were not deactivated or plugged into another car without a matching set of FSC codes, NBT Evo vin change and a emulator I can register them under my own account. I can check if the ATM is good with the VIN.

I actually need another one. I plugged in my evo instead of the matched evo and killed my nice M3 ATM. Thats what I get for rushing.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      12-19-2019, 06:24 PM   #10
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Send me a PM. As long as they were not deactivated or plugged into another car without a matching set of FSC codes, NBT Evo vin change and a emulator I can register them under my own account.

I actually need another one. I plugged in my evo instead of the matched evo and killed my nice M3 ATM.
Oh....so all the sudden you admit that there are all kinds of conditions that might keep these from being registered
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 06:30 PM   #11
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Oh....so all the sudden you admit that there are all kinds of conditions that might keep these from being registered
I don't know what you did with them. I never had issues with untouched ATM'S from the junkyard.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 06:31 PM   #12
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I don't know what you did with them. I never had issues with untouched ATM'S from the junkyard.
Again, you've just been lucky. Eventually the odds will catch up to you.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 06:48 PM   #13
Nickco43
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Again, you've just been lucky. Eventually the odds will catch up to you.
If I am not too busy over my break I will make a DIY.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 09:10 PM   #14
psyki
E36fiend
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 435i xDrive  [0.00]
2014 X5  [0.00]
Quote:
It happened in my own car when I bought it used. I wasn't able to register online on my own, the car never received the confirmation code. I had to call BMW and send in proof of registration and insurance before they connected my car to my account.
Appreciate 1
IK6SPEED4488.00
      12-22-2019, 03:02 AM   #15
DavidSTryk
Private First Class
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

IK6SPEED

Do you have a used atm that could be used in my car?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 07:50 AM   #16
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

IK6SPEED

I do not think an NBT EVO works with a TCB, especially as you own a LCI with Navigation. I believe you already have an ATM. However you do state you have a TCB and have better details than most about the unit.

EDIT: I see the F31 LCI has been available since 2014 before NBT EVO was available so it must be that you do NOT have an ATM. I have never dealt with a F31 so I was unaware it was available as a LCI in 2014. Obviously you are using a GPS plugged directly to the NBT EVO HU that was available in the early NBT EVO ID4 units.

I do have a working/transferable USA ATM for sale in the classifieds, however, I would not be comfortable selling it to an owner outside the USA. You really need an ECE ATM that works with the EU Data Providers and not ATT (that is if you do not already have an ATM). I prefer to sell items that I know will work for the end user which is why I have good iTrader feedback on the forum.

As you have a TCB, you would also need an ATM retrofit harness and VIN emulator as well (roughly €225) as well as an ECE ATM.

Last edited by IK6SPEED; 12-22-2019 at 10:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2019, 12:29 PM   #17
DavidSTryk
Private First Class
Denmark
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

IK6SPEED

I do not think an NBT EVO works with a TCB, especially as you own a LCI with Navigation. I believe you already have an ATM. However you do state you have a TCB and have better details than most about the unit.

EDIT: I see the F31 LCI has been available since 2014 before NBT EVO was available so it must be that you do NOT have an ATM. I have never dealt with a F31 so I was unaware it was available as a LCI in 2014. Obviously you are using a GPS plugged directly to the NBT EVO HU that was available in the early NBT EVO ID4 units.

I do have a working/transferable USA ATM for sale in the classifieds, however, I would not be comfortable selling it to an owner outside the USA. You really need an ECE ATM that works with the EU Data Providers and not ATT (that is if you do not already have an ATM). I prefer to sell items that I know will work for the end user which is why I have good iTrader feedback on the forum.

As you have a TCB, you would also need an ATM retrofit harness and VIN emulator as well (roughly €225) as well as an ECE ATM.
The NBT evo unit I have is a sort of a cross breed ... there is a specific where the NBT evo's cake with both the Blue GPS connector as well as the OABR connector for the ATM.. so I can use my existing tcb unit for the gps antenna but not for the connected drive...

I understand your concern regarding selling to me and I'm glad you're not risking anything instead of just thinking it would be an easy sale ! Thanks for being fair about it

I'll see if I can find something on my side of the pond
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 12:31 PM   #18
coupedream
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: San Marino blue 435i Gc

Garage List
Quote:

Do you have a link for a good vin emulator?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2020, 12:39 PM   #19
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupedream View Post
Quote:

Do you have a link for a good vin emulator?
This one was recommended to me.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-F10-F25...r/262689576496
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 07:46 AM   #20
nemanja
Rep
Drives: bmw 320d

Quote:
Hey guys,

Have a nice day guys..
Hello,

I am in the same situation at the moment. Could You please tell me how did You connect TCB module with EVO HU? And what did You do with the green connector?
Any help or info will be appreciated.

Kind regards
Appreciate 0