F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Thrust arm bushings shot - $1,000
Extreme Powerhouse

06-16-2021, 07:08 AM   #23
hollovoid7
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 428xi Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bt1339 View Post
Cool and what did you pick for a replacement? OEM or something else?
Just did mine finally at 93,000 miles, and it made a pretty ridiculous difference. Like mentioned before it was the lemforder kit from FCP euro. Took me a while because I've never done em before, plus I had to change the driver side axle as well. Definitely not bad to do if you have worked on cars before.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 09:53 AM   #24
khj24
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Just noticed mine are leaking, anybody have any luck getting the Meyle ones recently? FCP Euro has them listed as no ETA with nothing on eBay for a reasonable price.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2021, 10:20 AM   #25
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrlten View Post
There's tons of information in this thread: Darn Thrust Arm / Control Arm Bushing - Replaced with Turner Monoball - Oh yesssss!

I have the Millway street monoballs on my car for about half a year now. I like the increased steering precision but it comes at the cost of extra noise and vibrations below ~30 mph.
Just put the Millways on yesterday followed by 100km of driving. While there is indeed an increase in road noise the feel is excellent. It’s not a dramatic difference in steering but it is noticeable. I’m sure at the next track day it will help as well. For those curious about the increase in NVH, in my opinion it’s much like a change in tires. Some are a little noisier than others but it’s never unbearable for most
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 12:03 PM   #26
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

i have recently installed VAC monoball thrust arms. substantial improvement in on-center, steering feel/weight and precision, compared to the OEM which i found numb and "feeless". tbh, have not noticed any increase in NVH.

thx to johnung for hooking me up with Bryan_KiesMotorsports. If going with VAC monoball thrust arms, i recommend doing the same since the RWD and X-drive arms are different, Bryan can be sure you get the proper VAC part.

if your budget permits VAC has LCA's as well which would complete the set.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 02:55 PM   #27
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualDIYer View Post
Quote:
There's tons of information in this thread: Darn Thrust Arm / Control Arm Bushing - Replaced with Turner Monoball - Oh yesssss!

I have the Millway street monoballs on my car for about half a year now. I like the increased steering precision but it comes at the cost of extra noise and vibrations below ~30 mph.
Just put the Millways on yesterday followed by 100km of driving. While there is indeed an increase in road noise the feel is excellent. It's not a dramatic difference in steering but it is noticeable. I'm sure at the next track day it will help as well. For those curious about the increase in NVH, in my opinion it's much like a change in tires. Some are a little noisier than others but it's never unbearable for most
Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post
i have recently installed VAC monoball thrust arms. substantial improvement in on-center, steering feel/weight and precision, compared to the OEM which i found numb and "feeless". tbh, have not noticed any increase in NVH.
I am jealous of you guys and the minimal nvh change from the mono balls. I had the turner ones and they brought out all sorts of buzzes in my car. Got tired of chasing them with felt tape and listening to complaints from the family. Maybe I just have a car more prone to vibration. Or terrible roads for high frequency vibration. Who knows.

I wonder if the VAC ones are worth a try. I miss the feel but don't know if I wanna go down that buzz box road again.
Appreciate 2
Jvac432.00
      08-05-2021, 03:25 PM   #28
Jvac
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i rwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealm3 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Just put the Millways on yesterday followed by 100km of driving. While there is indeed an increase in road noise the feel is excellent. It's not a dramatic difference in steering but it is noticeable. I'm sure at the next track day it will help as well. For those curious about the increase in NVH, in my opinion it's much like a change in tires. Some are a little noisier than others but it's never unbearable for most
Quote:
I am jealous of you guys and the minimal nvh change from the mono balls. I had the turner ones and they brought out all sorts of buzzes in my car. Got tired of chasing them with felt tape and listening to complaints from the family. Maybe I just have a car more prone to vibration. Or terrible roads for high frequency vibration. Who knows.

I wonder if the VAC ones are worth a try. I miss the feel but don't know if I wanna go down that buzz box road again.
I'm also a little bit jealous. I installed the Vac monoballs and there's a substantial increase in harshness over bumps, road reflectors, joints, imperfections etc. My car came with 19" wheels and therefore very low profile tires, and that may have something to do with it. Even on non-run flats there just isn't a lot of rubber on the wheel so it's never going to be plush, but the change was noticeable. However, the steering improvement is so dramatic that I don't see myself taking them out anytime soon. I can't go back to the sloppy unpredictable steering that the stock mushballs offer.
      08-05-2021, 03:34 PM   #29
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvac View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealm3 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

I'm also a little bit jealous. I installed the Vac monoballs and there's a substantial increase in harshness over bumps, road reflectors, joints, imperfections etc. My car came with 19" wheels and therefore very low profile tires, and that may have something to do with it. Even on non-run flats there just isn't a lot of rubber on the wheel so it's never going to be plush, but the change was noticeable. However, the steering improvement is so dramatic that I don't see myself taking them out anytime soon. I can't go back to the sloppy unpredictable steering that the stock mushballs offer.
I have 19" wheels as well running PS4S tires so no run flats, but maybe the wheel size is the issue as you note. It's nice to hear someone else with the same result as me. I was seriously considering trying vac ones. Maybe I'll go for some meyle HD when/if they ever come back in stock at FCP.
Appreciate 1
Jvac432.00
      08-05-2021, 06:09 PM   #30
Itogliano
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollovoid7 View Post
I'm gonna attempt this myself soon. FCP has a write up on it here.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/blog.fc...%3fhs_amp=true

Will let you know how I fare, unless some one else has any experience with it, looks pretty straight forward, I'll be using the esco flat top jack stands so no lift.
I just replaced my thrust arms on my F36. I basically just followed along with the FCP guide as well as watched a couple other independent videos beforehand. Honestly, it was super easy. By FAR the most difficult part was trying remove the old thrust arm. It was tough trying to get enough clearance around the axle. If you don't have xDrive I don't think this is an issue at all.

I just went with OE Lemforder arms. I don't plan on having the car too much longer so I decided to just opt for the comfort/OE part to help with resale/trade in down the road.

Also, since not everyone has the same background/prior know how, what's is easy for one person might be difficult for someone else. So you can gauge for yourself, but I thought it was pretty easy, and this was my first ever repair I've done on a road going car. I say that as someone with a degree in mechanical engineering who was very hands on during school and was part of my Formula SAE team. In addition to that I was basically raised in a machine shop so I've been comfortable using tools for a long time.

Take that for whatever it's worth, I just wanted to give some context to what I considered fairly easy.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2021, 08:02 PM   #31
khj24
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by khj24 View Post
Just noticed mine are leaking, anybody have any luck getting the Meyle ones recently? FCP Euro has them listed as no ETA with nothing on eBay for a reasonable price.
I was able to find a pair and my goodness what a difference that makes. It feel like a completely different car, everything is improved besides my wallet, but don't get my wrong it was completely worth it.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2021, 08:23 AM   #32
hollovoid7
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 428xi Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itogliano View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollovoid7 View Post
I'm gonna attempt this myself soon. FCP has a write up on it here.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/blog.fc...%3fhs_amp=true

Will let you know how I fare, unless some one else has any experience with it, looks pretty straight forward, I'll be using the esco flat top jack stands so no lift.
I just replaced my thrust arms on my F36. I basically just followed along with the FCP guide as well as watched a couple other independent videos beforehand. Honestly, it was super easy. By FAR the most difficult part was trying remove the old thrust arm. It was tough trying to get enough clearance around the axle. If you don't have xDrive I don't think this is an issue at all.

I just went with OE Lemforder arms. I don't plan on having the car too much longer so I decided to just opt for the comfort/OE part to help with resale/trade in down the road.

Also, since not everyone has the same background/prior know how, what's is easy for one person might be difficult for someone else. So you can gauge for yourself, but I thought it was pretty easy, and this was my first ever repair I've done on a road going car. I say that as someone with a degree in mechanical engineering who was very hands on during school and was part of my Formula SAE team. In addition to that I was basically raised in a machine shop so I've been comfortable using tools for a long time.

Take that for whatever it's worth, I just wanted to give some context to what I considered fairly easy.
I also have since done mine, I found getting the bolt to the frame out first helped getting the stud out of the steering knuckle. I have been in industrial maintenance for 16 years, so I thought this was pretty easy if you just take your time, and make sure you have everything on hand ahead of tome. Went with the lemforder kit from FCP as well. Seems good. Also since installed bilstien b6 struts and rear shocks. Had a
Shop do the struts as it needed a alignment with it but did the rear shocks myself and it took probably 30 mins per side. They were totally shot at 94,000 miles.
Appreciate 0