F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Android 11 / 12 /13 HU discussion
ARMA SPEED

11-30-2021, 06:31 PM   #155
Cam70
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G01 x3 xDrive30i M

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradinthisbitch View Post
youve seen there's fake blue anti glare units in the android 10 thread?
No, I bought mine from AutoTec Pro in Canaqda...how do you identify the fakes?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 03:26 PM   #156
bradinthisbitch
Rep
Drives: bmw e71 bmw e60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam70 View Post
No, I bought mine from AutoTec Pro in Canaqda...how do you identify the fakes?
look at the android 10 HU discussion. its in the first post
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 11:49 AM   #157
7ambrion
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X

looks like bt connection to devices works little bit simpler on sd662 )

same steps like on sd625, but dont need to reboot, and no timelimit to connect new devise )) in search need to write "bt" and go directly to bt connection )

so obd2 devises works fine via bt )
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 11:24 AM   #158
anant210
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Hi Folks,

Just order my first unit (12.3, Android 11, 6/128) via Kanor for BMW X3 F25. Not sure how much others are paying for the unit but I got it for USD 405 with an addition $55 for shipping to Canada. Avin had a good deal going but they didn't have the NA version ready yet.

While talking to the lady at Kanor, I got the list of LTE bands supported by the unit. Not sure if this is helpful but attaching it anyway.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 4G_3G(4+64) 2019 10 10.zip (21.4 KB, 345 views)
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 02:11 AM   #159
Kri
Major
Austria
Rep
Drives: E87

Quote:
Originally Posted by anant210 View Post
Hi Folks,

Just order my first unit (12.3, Android 11, 6/128) via Kanor for BMW X3 F25. Not sure how much others are paying for the unit but I got it for USD 405 with an addition $55 for shipping to Canada. Avin had a good deal going but they didn't have the NA version ready yet.

While talking to the lady at Kanor, I got the list of LTE bands supported by the unit. Not sure if this is helpful but attaching it anyway.
They sent you the list of the "old" SD625 Headunits, but if they say its the same it prooves only that the hardware itself is pretty the same except of the CPU/RAM.

Kri
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 04:55 AM   #160
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E63 645Ci

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by anant210 View Post
Hi Folks,

Well I don't want to stress you out too much, it's more of a warning to others seeking a new unit, but Kanor has been just confirmed to be another scam.

They send some of the good stuff (genuine units) and mix that up with fakes. Chances are that you might be ordering a genuine unit and receiving a fake. Once confronted about that, they claim that the fake unit isn't theirs and tend to block further communication. Then the only hope to get any money back is to open a formal dispute, but platforms (AliExpress and Alibaba) are not very good and don't always protect buyer as western counterparts. In result, one can expect a refund of 60% of the original purchase value.

Just save yourself time and hassle and don't buy from Kanor.
Appreciate 1
Kri1083.50
      12-05-2021, 03:31 PM   #161
resatayvaci
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 525d xdrive lci 2013

I have purchased Android HU 11 from this guy. I got annoyed by him/her because there is no manual. The person did not explain anything to me about connection and wiring or settings to change.

https://autotop-navi.aliexpress.com/...5c954c4dXvK2Xp
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 01:11 PM   #162
xbladr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Sold 1995 M3 with LS1 T56 Swap

I did pick up the external mic as I heard if you are using carplay/android auto for a phone call it uses the mic in the actual headunit and not the mic from the original radio. Does anyone have any recommendations on where to mount the external boom mic?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 02:16 PM   #163
7ambrion
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbladr View Post
I did pick up the external mic as I heard if you are using carplay/android auto for a phone call it uses the mic in the actual headunit and not the mic from the original radio. Does anyone have any recommendations on where to mount the external boom mic?
i have connected original mic on e83 to headunit, much better voice
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 07:05 AM   #164
xbladr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7ambrion View Post
i have connected original mic on e83 to headunit, much better voice
How did you go about doing this? I have heard the Android headunit will not use the original mic from the F30.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 09:32 AM   #165
7ambrion
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbladr View Post
How did you go about doing this? I have heard the Android headunit will not use the original mic from the F30.
Just soldered aux cable to mic ))) after, its ok to plug it to headunit )
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 10:17 AM   #166
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Just soldered aux cable to mic ))) after, its ok to plug it to headunit )
Hang on... what did you do exactly?
1. I'm not sure about Android 11 units but Android 10 unit would provide a different voltage for the mic than OEM system - therefore OEM mic couldn't be used with Android. As far as I can tell Android 10 and Android 11 units are nearly identical - the SoC, RAM and storage are different but the rest is the same so I don't see how that would work.
2. Not all cars have microphones wired via the quadlock to the headunit direct. Some go through COMBOX, MULF or similar so there is nothing to grab at the quadlock.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 11:43 AM   #167
7ambrion
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedErik View Post
so I don't see how that would work.
it works same as with chineese mic )

Quote:
I'm not sure about Android 11 units but Android 10 unit would provide a different voltage for the mic than OEM system - therefore OEM mic couldn't be used with Android
mics themselves use same voltage, but oem mic have filter inside ) need to diseble it )

Quote:
Not all cars have microphones wired via the quadlock to the headunit direct. Some go through COMBOX, MULF or similar so there is nothing to grab at the quadlock.
yes, so you need to made new cable to connect HU to mic directly )

looks like this (not my photo)

Quote:
Android 10 and Android 11 units are nearly identical
do bt calls works on a10 hu with dac? )) in android mode )

Last edited by 7ambrion; 12-08-2021 at 12:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 12:25 PM   #168
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
so I don't see how that would work.
it works same as with chineese mic )

Quote:
I'm not sure about Android 11 units but Android 10 unit would provide a different voltage for the mic than OEM system - therefore OEM mic couldn't be used with Android
mics themselves use same voltage, but oem mic have filter inside ) need to diseble it )

Quote:
Not all cars have microphones wired via the quadlock to the headunit direct. Some go through COMBOX, MULF or similar so there is nothing to grab at the quadlock.
yes, so you need to made new cable to connect HU to mic directly )

looks like this (not my photo)

Quote:
Android 10 and Android 11 units are nearly identical
do bt calls works on a10 hu with dac? )) in android mode )
Ok, so in that case it's no different to using any aftermarket mic as in essence you have an external mic used with Android that happens to be the OEM mic. For that to work you need to disconnect the mic from OEM system so it cannot be used with iDrive anymore for voice commands and phonecalls. Furthermore not all units come with 3.5mm jack for external microphone so the solution is not universal.

I'm not sure if external mic works for Android BT phonecalls with E10K plugged in. I never bothered with Android BT as it was always a shit experience for me. If it doesn't you can try to use Lesser Audio Switch (or something like that that) app from Play Store to reroute audio and mess with audio driver to point.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 12:01 AM   #169
7ambrion
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Ok, so in that case it's no different to using any aftermarket mic as in essence you have an external mic used with Android that happens to be the OEM mic. For that to work you need to disconnect the mic from OEM system so it cannot be used with iDrive anymore for voice commands and phonecalls. Furthermore not all units come with 3.5mm jack for external microphone so the solution is not universal.
solution isnt universal, its tru )) but it is one of the steps for full android integration ))))
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 01:24 AM   #170
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
solution isnt universal, its tru )) but it is one of the steps for full android integration ))))
Unfortunately full Android integration is not possible either as it will never handle things that iDrive is currently handling - all your vehicle settings, alerts and error messages, condition based services... the list is long. Android was always meant to be an add-on to the OEM system, not a replacement. So what you did, in my opinion, is you crippled the OEM system but detaching the mic from it. But if you're happy with that solution more power to you.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 02:22 AM   #171
7ambrion
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately full Android integration is not possible either as it will never handle things that iDrive is currently handling - all your vehicle settings, alerts and error messages, condition based services... the list is long. Android was always meant to be an add-on to the OEM system, not a replacement. So what you did, in my opinion, is you crippled the OEM system but detaching the mic from it. But if you're happy with that solution more power to you.
thanks ) and it's good that someone finds the oem system acceptable)
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 02:32 AM   #172
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
thanks ) and it's good that someone finds the oem system acceptable)
I find Android system unacceptable in comparison to NBT EVO... but that's just me.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 10:21 AM   #173
7ambrion
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I find Android system unacceptable in comparison to NBT EVO... but that's just me.
what you mean by android? ) stock launcher that impossible to use?! )
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 10:39 AM   #174
RedErik
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2004 E63 645Ci  [0.00]
Quote:
what you mean by android? ) stock launcher that impossible to use?! )
No, Android headunit in general. I said that many times before but here it is again:
1. Display quality of 8.8" units is pure shit.
2. Software in general with infinite number of bugs that are never going to be fixed - no matter how good community apps are, you still interact with the core base of KSW shit. Besides Android was never meant to be operated with a controller. You have to touch the screen which is a massive inconvenience for me. I'm an app developer myself but I won't be redoing every single app that is there to make it work with a controller.
3. Audio quality makes my ears bleed. Sure you can get a DAC, but that's not the point.
4. CAN bus communication.
5. BT communication.
6. Boot time.
7. Integration with car in general.

That's why I don't use it anymore, instead I retrofitted NBT EVO.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 11:39 AM   #175
7ambrion
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
No, Android headunit in general. I said that many times before but here it is again:
2. Software in general with infinite number of bugs that are never going to be fixed - no matter how good community apps are, you still interact with the core base of KSW shit. Besides Android was never meant to be operated with a controller. You have to touch the screen which is a massive inconvenience for me. I'm an app developer myself but I won't be redoing every single app that is there to make it work with a controller.
3. Audio quality makes my ears bleed. Sure you can get a DAC, but that's not the point.
5. BT communication.
6. Boot time.

its tru ) but with android i mean just screen and android ) 10.25" 1920x720 not so bad ) mcu - garbege and must be deleted, communication with car can use another hardware and software, its possible to show graphics and code ) sound - dac ) load time - not critical ) bt - maybe can work, on sd622 its little bit better ) idrive - i dont like it and have cupholder on this place, maybe possible to use too ))

so android is not so bad, for guys with a lot of time )))
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 11:10 PM   #176
xbladr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
5. BT communication.
6. Boot time.

If I had an Iphone I would have gone this route with the retrofit but, I am Android. The lack of any android auto in the EVO killed it for me. I have the NBT pre Evo and it lacks a lot. My biggest concern is how this android unit will sound but, will cross that road when the time comes. I will be installing mine next week.
Appreciate 0