F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > RoadTop MMI Install - 2013 F30
proTUNING Freaks

07-31-2021, 10:24 AM   #1
Eddie Cement
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Xdrive M-Sport

RoadTop MMI Install - 2013 F30

Just got the RoadTop CarPlay MMI and a backup camera, and am hoping to install this weekend. I'm unsure of a few things though, so here's the setup...

I've got a 2013 335i Xdrive M Sport, has the tech package, pro nav, tele services, music interface for smartphone, apps, phone cradle, etc. HU is HK CIC-High [688]. Weird that there's no parking sensors or cameras, but whatever.

I'm planning to run power to the camera from the MMI - the camera's long video cable has the third wire for trigger, but is unused on the camera end of the cable. I want to use that for +12v, and connect the ground in the trunk. Anyone tried running power for rear camera this way? I really don't want to molest the taillight wiring.

I also plan to remove the phone cradle from the armrest, but am unsure what effect this will have on the USB port and Aux In jack that's in there.

Thanks for any tips!
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2021, 03:03 PM   #2
Eddie Cement
Rep

I just re-read the entire phone cradle removal thread here: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1051389

It's a separate USB connection - which got me thinking that the cradle's USB might provide more than 500mA to keep a phone charging (unlike the other port).

Also waiting on a reply from RoadTop support re: camera power via MMI.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2021, 09:12 PM   #3
Homersbud
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

I used the 12v coming off my mmi (andream) for my rear camera power and works perfectly. No need to tap into rear taillights, the 12v off the mmi box is more than enough to power the camera.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 07:40 AM   #4
alex0607
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 & E60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Cement View Post
Just got the RoadTop CarPlay MMI and a backup camera, and am hoping to install this weekend. I'm unsure of a few things though, so here's the setup...

I've got a 2013 335i Xdrive M Sport, has the tech package, pro nav, tele services, music interface for smartphone, apps, phone cradle, etc. HU is HK CIC-High [688]. Weird that there's no parking sensors or cameras, but whatever.

I'm planning to run power to the camera from the MMI - the camera's long video cable has the third wire for trigger, but is unused on the camera end of the cable. I want to use that for +12v, and connect the ground in the trunk. Anyone tried running power for rear camera this way? I really don't want to molest the taillight wiring.

I also plan to remove the phone cradle from the armrest, but am unsure what effect this will have on the USB port and Aux In jack that's in there.

Thanks for any tips!
I am using a Roadtop MMI as well for my car. You can see how the cable connects as per the post here.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...5#post27154505

Post #6207
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 10:42 AM   #5
Eddie Cement
Rep

@Homersbud - I was initially thinking I'd do that, too, but wondered about the long-term effects of keeping the camera powered up at all times when the car is running... so I'm going to try something a little different.

@alex0607 - thinking along these lines, with one significant difference. The video run in my kit for trunk-to-dash (yellow box in attached diagram) has a third conductor in there. They've labeled it a trigger wire (which we don't need), so I'm going to use that for my +12v. I'm a video guy by trade... running power through the video signal will likely degrade the image to some degree, and I just can't have that.

Here's what I'm gonna do:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 05:37 PM   #6
Homersbud
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
@Homersbud - I was initially thinking I'd do that, too, but wondered about the long-term effects of keeping the camera powered up at all times when the car is running... so I'm going to try something a little different.

@alex0607 - thinking along these lines, with one significant difference. The video run in my kit for trunk-to-dash (yellow box in attached diagram) has a third conductor in there. They've labeled it a trigger wire (which we don't need), so I'm going to use that for my +12v. I'm a video guy by trade... running power through the video signal will likely degrade the image to some degree, and I just can't have that.

Here's what I'm gonna do:
camera will only power on when you flip the gear to R. Will not do anything else when you're in any other gear.

i'm almost a yr into my install and zero issues with this setup.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 10:51 PM   #7
Eddie Cement
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homersbud View Post
camera will only power on when you flip the gear to R. Will not do anything else when you're in any other gear.

Got everything installed (mic, aux, antenna) and I think I just have a little configuring to do. Got the MMI next to the glove box, just need to figure out how to 'mount' the thing so it's not flopping around back there.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2021, 07:38 AM   #8
Homersbud
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homersbud View Post

Got everything installed (mic, aux, antenna) and I think I just have a little configuring to do. Got the MMI next to the glove box, just need to figure out how to 'mount' the thing so it's not flopping around back there.
try some dbl sided tape.

congrats on the install!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 06:38 PM   #9
Eddie Cement
Rep

Install seems to be working, mostly quite well. I've still got 2 issues though.

When activating Siri via the steering wheel button, I still get the car's voice command system through the speakers and in the HUD, and I also see Siri's animation on the CarPlay screen waiting for voice input. Giving Siri a command works in this state, but the car hears it too, and prompts for further input.

Also, using the Aux In jack in the center console - volume is pretty low, and I've adjusted it in the RoadTop's setup interface to 9 (max for music).

I remember seeing some things that can be coded to fix or change some aspects of these issues, but can't recall where exactly. I've got Bimmercode and I'm not afraid to use it!

RoadTop unit purchased through Amazon…
SDK Version: 25.0.0.7.0.0.2.0
CUST Version: B2R156
MCU Version: 21.6.7.116
HW Version: BMW_NBT2_1_G

Last edited by Eddie Cement; 08-04-2021 at 06:43 PM.. Reason: Tech details added.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 08:13 PM   #10
Homersbud
Captain
United_States
Rep

adjust the aux vol in the idrive to a higher vol - should help increase the vol - the mmi has a separate vol control but you need increase the aux vol.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2022, 04:09 AM   #11
Meza
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW m140i

I think there is a way to code-out the BMW voice commands to disable that system.

On mine (CIC High) if you hold the voice button both BMW and MMI box respond, but then a short second tap on the button dismisses the BMW voice input leaving the MMI listening.

Still need to sort my MMI microphone splitter wire out though, as currently I've got no mic being picked up.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2022, 04:11 AM   #12
Meza
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW m140i

Also, I think there is a way to code-out the armrest aux-in, so that the MMI uses the aux-in lines on the quadlock instead, straight to the head unit. Not sure if that will make much difference to sound level / quality?

Alternatively you might leave your phone connected to the BMW bluetooth and have audio come via bluetooth from your phone instead of from the MMI box analogue aux out.
Appreciate 0