F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F34 3-Series GT (Gran Turismo) Forum > Tuning B46 330i GT?
GetBMWParts

12-21-2023, 05:22 AM   #1
HotdogLegend
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i GT, BMW X3, BMW 320d

Exclamation Tuning B46 330i GT?

Hello fellow GT enjoyers. I'm currently looking at a list of engine & power mods to do for my 330i GT, and wanted to know what would be the best route. Here is my VIN: WBA8Z9C30HG826656

So far, I have done a full unlock via BimmerCode and upgraded my breaks to ECS R1's.

For reference, I want this build to be a little overkill just so that I prevent any issues down the line. I.e. many have told me I can run a stage 1 tune with stock internals, but knowing how garbage BMW is with reliability and all the plastic bits in the car, I'm not going to consider that at all. I've burst pipes in this car without a tune just driving hard for extended periods.

I'm now looking to make power. I know that past the 350WHP mark, B46 pistons start to go out the window. I have a friend who tunes B48's and has recommended a few parts:

- 21-879C AEM COLD AIR INTAKE SYSTEM
https://www.aemintakes.com/21-879c-c...ampaign=GS6003
This was cited as one of the only options that fit the F34 B46 variant. Speaking with K&N, they noted that this was a good option. I know an intake isn't always necessary, but I'd like one regardless.

- FTP BMW B48 B46 2.0T charge pipe V2
https://www.ftpmotorsport.com.tw/pro...46-charge-pipe
I'm not sure I need a charge pipe with a stage 1 tune, but I also just want to prevent any issues.

- Tuner said he runs a custom bootmod3 flash, so I'd have to buy a license.

- I'm looking for 10mm spacers all around. Does anyone have a link for 10mm's that would work on the F34 front and rear?

- xHP?

- X Delete?

What else do I need? People keep mentioning "1 step colder" spark plugs and other bits. What can I do to this car to make reliable power? Even if not super necessary, I'd like to make sure I'm set.

Thanks for the help, everyone!

Last edited by HotdogLegend; 12-21-2023 at 05:32 AM.. Reason: Wanted more info! :)
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2023, 08:11 AM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

IMO an intake is a waste of money. Are you aware that the stock intake is cold air? Are you aware that it provides all the air that the engine can make use of? Whatever air the engine needs the turbo supplies. There are slight gains to be had with the exhaust, but when you get down to it the best way to more power is via a tune. It also reduces reliability. That's a trade off one must accept. Spacers are purely cosmetic, their main effect is to extend the tires further out resulting in more road sand being tossed back at the fenders. X delete is fine if you think making doughnuts is sensible, but where performance is concerned AWD is better than RWD.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2023, 02:45 PM   #3
Oksamit78
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E39, F30 & F34

I totally see why the intake is considered as waste of money by a lot of people - simply because the gains you get in return are not really justified for people doing daily driving in their cars. Gains all come in RPM ranges starting after 2K for 6 cylinder engine and after 2500 RPM for 4 cylinder engines (talking about gas/petrol and not diesel). You should look at what RPMs is your car operating for most of the time and decide for yourself if this is worth the investment. Are you high revving your engine in Sport+ mode (if you have it) or not? - I surely don't.

Exhaust - as was said, too small of the gain in return for investment without aggressive tune.

Charge pipe - sure, update that along with Stage 1 tune. The plastic one might not last long. That's it.

If it is your daily - Stage 1 tune is plenty.

Spacers - plenty sold online. Same CB as regular F30/F31. eBay, Dinan, ECS/Turner, Ali... I run 10 mm at the front and 12.5 mm at the back with staggered 598M rims, but I also have mud flaps installed to deflect the debris.
2017 F34 340i XDrive w/ M Sport Pack, Azure II /Black, B58B30M0, Dinan Stage 1
Appreciate 2