F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > F34 water in amp and battery compartment
proTUNING Freaks

01-30-2021, 04:58 PM   #1
Olliehh
Rep
Drives: BMW f34

F34 water in amp and battery compartment

So a few days ago I turn my car on and my music starts playing via blue tooth I hear a few pops come out of the speakers then it all sound goes. Now there’s a message on my I drive saying ‘no warning tones’

First thing I did was disconnect and reconnect the battery to see if a reset would solve the issue but it didn’t.

I noticed some water in the battery compartment (a few inches) and cleaned out, it had rained heavily the night before but I have no idea how water got in there without the trunk lining being wet? I then plugged in my Carly adapter and some new codes relating to something in the MOST system failing to start came up.

I go back in the trunk remove the boot lining on the left hand side which also showed no sign of being wet and sure enough. The amp compartment was also wet and there was water in the amp.. so I’m now certain this is what’s failed. I’ve removed it and its currently drying in my airing cupboard (hoping there’s no permanent damage).

Does anyone know if there’s anything I need to reset when re installing the amp? (Especially if I have to replace it with a new one). And also does anyone know how water could’ve gotten into both the amp and battery compartment? The night it rained heavily I had my rear spoiler in the up position because it kept getting frozen and stuck in the down position in the cold weather. Could that be why water somehow seeped into both compartments?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2021, 07:22 PM   #2
madjetey
Ghana
Rep
Drives: 328xi

Garage List
2014 F30  [0.00]
  [0.00]
I had this exact problem in my F30. You might have to replace not only the amp but the ASD module as well. You'll need both for the sound to work. Thanks to BMW's design; even with a fully working amp, if you've not got a working ASD, you'll still get no audio (I don't know if the bypass also works). I opened both up when it happened to my car & dried them out extensively and even did a final wipe down with an anti-static cloth & 90% alcohol but they never came back. Which was broken, I don't know. TBH I found out months later that a BMW scanner higher level than bimmercode (ISTA+, ESYS, FSC Tools, etc) could have told me which component was actually dead. I'm not sure about the ASD because it passes through the amp and if that's dead, would it block signals to the ASD as well? Anyway, I swapped the amp 1st, then the ASD later before my audio came back. Luckily there's no re-coding necessary. Well, aside the ASD if you get a model from a non-F34 in your case. I got mine from an F10 M5 so before I reprogrammed it back to F30, I had (fake) V8 noises whenever I put my foot down.

While the international mailing system made sure I took the scenic route in sorting out my amp & ASD, it gave me time to address the leaks. I filled up a spare gallon with water & food coloring opposite to my car color. Then I removed as much of the interior trim blocking views to both my battery & amp wells. I poured while I had someone look and I even managed to see a few leaks myself. In my F30's case I could do it with the boot open so I could pour right alongside the water runoff channels around the boot lid and brake lights. Turns out it was shoddy patch work from a rear end collision, so after much squeezing around and 2 gallons of water, I used a tube of sealant to block all leaks. Tested with the last of the gallon & subsequent heavy rains and by the the time my replacement amp & ASD came in, I was watertight.

Hope this helps you out. It took me nearly a year to clear this issue, I hope yours is much quicker & smoother.
Appreciate 3