F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Stock Exhaust -> Dinan Axleback -> Dinan Catback Progression Video
Studio RSR

04-23-2018, 06:59 PM   #1
Alarmin
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp xDrive

Garage List
Stock Exhaust -> Dinan Axleback -> Dinan Catback Progression Video

Hi all,

I've recently gone through the process of upgrading my stock exhaust. I started with the Dinan Axleback exhaust. After a 2 weeks of just the Axleback, I decided to order and install the Midpipe as well. I made a little video showing the transition from stock to Axleback to Catback in hopes that it could help people out in their exhaust decision process. Check it out: https://youtu.be/15bBQtsFRUk

My thoughts: The Axleback really has this beautiful deep tone. It adds a bit more volume but its not extremely noticeable within the cabin. You do get to hear some more of that bass note within the cabin, but coming from someone who didn't want drone - it's very pleasant to hear. If the Axleback tone could be maintained with a bit more volume, I probably wouldn't have upgraded.

After a couple weeks of sitting with the Axleback, I came to terms with the fact that I always wanted more of a growl note for the exhaust and decided to lock-in the Midpipe. I had the Midpipe installed last week and holy shit, the sound is glorious! The cold start is pretty loud and has more of a 'wild' idle tone. However, that mellows down pretty quickly. In daily driving, I wouldn't say the noise inside the cabin is much louder than the Axleback - but there is much more of a midrange note to it so it feels a bit more present. Still very enjoyable. However, when you pop that baby in sport and go to WOT - I truly believe that this is the way the B58 should always sound. A beautiful, refined growl that truly matches the power and elegance of the 340i and the B58 engine. It is definitely much louder than stock but I don't think you'll make the neighborhood hate you (unless the neighborhood is super uptight). As far as power goes, I really can't say if its made much of a difference. I'm running the AA tune and with the added noise of the exhaust, it certainly feels like I'm going faster. But that also might just be a placebo effect. Anyways, let me know if you guys have any questions!
Appreciate 5
      04-24-2018, 05:33 PM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 07:48 PM   #3
jdang9
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i 6MT M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
I believe I just placed a AWE catback order on your site. I'm really excited about it
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2018, 08:10 PM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdang9 View Post
I believe I just placed a AWE catback order on your site. I'm really excited about it
Thank you for the support

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 09:32 PM   #5
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
Great review!
I went for the Dinan axleback and the midpipe at the same time, I didn't know what either/or would sound like, it's nice to see a writeup that explains the difference.
B58 really sounds great.

Charles
      04-24-2018, 11:40 PM   #6
Alarmin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Shout out to Mike for helping me through the purchase process!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2018, 11:48 PM   #7
Alarmin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ421 View Post
Great review!
I went for the Dinan axleback and the midpipe at the same time, I didn't know what either/or would sound like, it's nice to see a writeup that explains the difference.
B58 really sounds great.

Charles
The Dinan full exhaust really lets that B58 sing and I’m so happy I had it installed. The whole process of deciding on which exhaust I wanted was difficult as all I had was different people’s videos with different overall builds. I figured one video where you could see the transition of stock to full exhaust on the same car in the same location recorded on the same device could help some others on the board
Appreciate 1
CJ4211510.00
      04-25-2018, 12:06 PM   #8
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarmin View Post
Shout out to Mike for helping me through the purchase process!
My pleasure

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 06:42 PM   #9
Sea-Tac
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2108 X3 xDrive30i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alarmin View Post
Hi all,

I've recently gone through the process of upgrading my stock exhaust. I started with the Dinan Axleback exhaust. After a 2 weeks of just the Axleback, I decided to order and install the Midpipe as well. I made a little video showing the transition from stock to Axleback to Catback in hopes that it could help people out in their exhaust decision process. Check it out: https://youtu.be/15bBQtsFRUk

My thoughts: The Axleback really has this beautiful deep tone. It adds a bit more volume but its not extremely noticeable within the cabin. You do get to hear some more of that bass note within the cabin, but coming from someone who didn't want drone - it's very pleasant to hear. If the Axleback tone could be maintained with a bit more volume, I probably wouldn't have upgraded.

After a couple weeks of sitting with the Axleback, I came to terms with the fact that I always wanted more of a growl note for the exhaust and decided to lock-in the Midpipe. I had the Midpipe installed last week and holy shit, the sound is glorious! The cold start is pretty loud and has more of a 'wild' idle tone. However, that mellows down pretty quickly. In daily driving, I wouldn't say the noise inside the cabin is much louder than the Axleback - but there is much more of a midrange note to it so it feels a bit more present. Still very enjoyable. However, when you pop that baby in sport and go to WOT - I truly believe that this is the way the B58 should always sound. A beautiful, refined growl that truly matches the power and elegance of the 340i and the B58 engine. It is definitely much louder than stock but I don't think you'll make the neighborhood hate you (unless the neighborhood is super uptight). As far as power goes, I really can't say if its made much of a difference. I'm running the AA tune and with the added noise of the exhaust, it certainly feels like I'm going faster. But that also might just be a placebo effect. Anyways, let me know if you guys have any questions!
Any vids or audio clips...would love to hear it.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 03:36 PM   #10
Alarmin
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea-Tac View Post
Any vids or audio clips...would love to hear it.
Here you go: https://youtu.be/15bBQtsFRUk
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 01:02 PM   #11
gdgraph
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xDrive

So with the axleback and mid pipe, no issues with drone, especially when cruising on the highway?
Appreciate 0