F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Andream equivalent mmi for NBT EVO
ARMA SPEED

12-13-2020, 12:55 AM   #67
hotsnr
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW F30 330i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by muniz_ri View Post
Bimmertech..Do you have a copy of their latest update file?
No, I don't. Firmware version is v3.0.0.1.mmi.e and seems like we would need to wait for the first update to get it.
I see those squashfs partitions in old firmware (v2), do you update files in those and reassemble bin file?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 09:22 AM   #68
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320I

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsnr View Post
Quote:
Bimmertech..Do you have a copy of their latest update file?
No, I don't. Firmware version is v3.0.0.1.mmi.e and seems like we would need to wait for the first update to get it.
I see those squashfs partitions in old firmware (v2), do you update files in those and reassemble bin file?
You may want to ask BT for the file. What did they say when you asked them to correct the dpi?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 10:24 AM   #69
biomed27
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f30

Just installed Andream MMI. Works perfectly! Came updated with the latest files too. BT needs to reconsider their pricing. I don't justify charging double the price.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 07:20 PM   #70
hotsnr
Rep

Quote:
You may want to ask BT for the file. What did they say when you asked them to correct the dpi?
My conversation with them:
> I recently installed MMI Prime (Android Auto) and I see that resolution/dpi is set incorrectly as things seem to be too small for 8.8 inch screen (1280x480). I've tried to force 480p resolution in Android Auto developer mode but it didn't help (black screen, no image). Also It's not better over the cable.
> That's how the screen always looks like with Android Auto on an 8.8-inch display. There's no way to adjust the resolution. Let me know if you have any other questions.
> No way to adjust DPI? Could you please double-check with devs? UI elements look really small.
> *** no response for almost a week now ***

I'll ping them again soon and also ask for firmware files.

muniz_ri What HW do you have? Their previous generation or current?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 07:50 PM   #71
Shonky
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F31 320i, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by biomed27 View Post
Just installed Andream MMI. Works perfectly! Came updated with the latest files too. BT needs to reconsider their pricing. I don't justify charging double the price.
Would you mind posting which one you purchased please?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2020, 08:36 PM   #72
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
My conversation with them:
> I recently installed MMI Prime (Android Auto) and I see that resolution/dpi is set incorrectly as things seem to be too small for 8.8 inch screen (1280x480). I've tried to force 480p resolution in Android Auto developer mode but it didn't help (black screen, no image). Also It's not better over the cable.
> That's how the screen always looks like with Android Auto on an 8.8-inch display. There's no way to adjust the resolution. Let me know if you have any other questions.
> No way to adjust DPI? Could you please double-check with devs? UI elements look really small.
> *** no response for almost a week now ***

I'll ping them again soon and also ask for firmware files.

muniz_ri What HW do you have? Their previous generation or current?
PM me if you are able to get the file. I have a Carlinkit for NBT running the custom software.

To optimize the display they need to increase the "Density" and "RealDensity" values to 222 (that is the max allowed for wide-screen mode). They likely have it set to 200 currently.

They should also tweak a couple of other settings but the Density is the most important:

<Display><!-- Phone side configuration-->
<DisplayWidth value="209"/><!-- Physical width-->
<DisplayHeight value="79"/><!-- Physical height-->
<WidthMargin value="0"/>
<HeightMargin value="0"/>
<PixelAspectRatioE4 value="-1"/><!-- need use (Pixel Aspect Ratio Calculator.xlsx) to calculate, and result need multiply 10000-->
<Density value="222"/> <!-- -1 means will use standard resolution to auto calculate -->
<RealDensity value="222"/>
<ViewingDistance value="400"/>
<Resolution480P value="false"><!-- fps: 30 or 60-->
<fps value="30"/>
</Resolution480P>
<Resolution720P value="true">
<fps value="60"/>
</Resolution720P>
</Display>

Last edited by muniz_ri; 12-13-2020 at 09:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 12:22 PM   #73
MikE90
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i Gran Coupe

Garage List
2018 BMW  [10.00]
Finally installed my bimmertech unit. Works great but would definitely like the text and icons to be larger.

Does anyone know where to obtain Bimmertech's latest firmware?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 03:19 PM   #74
hotsnr
Rep

Update from Bimmertech:
> When it comes to the DPI specifically we haven't yet implemented any changes there. We're working on the first all around update for the EVO MMI including fixes for various bugs and inadequacies that we noticed, however it's not ready yet.

I think we should be able to roll it out in another week of time.
Appreciate 3
muniz_ri447.50
MikE9034.00
      12-22-2020, 05:15 PM   #75
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Update from Bimmertech:
> When it comes to the DPI specifically we haven't yet implemented any changes there. We're working on the first all around update for the EVO MMI including fixes for various bugs and inadequacies that we noticed, however it's not ready yet.

That was good of them to at least respond but they should make the AA "Density" issue a priority since the screen would be hard to see at the current setting.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2020, 05:36 PM   #76
MikE90
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i Gran Coupe

Garage List
2018 BMW  [10.00]
Quote:
Update from Bimmertech:

Thanks for that info. Hopefully they focus on the DPI sometime soon.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2020, 02:28 PM   #77
mrberry
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 630i

hey
purchased the andream unit and when testing out got the dreaded no signal when trying to switch to mmi. saw two other people mention they had this issue. did you manage to sort it out ?

edit: PROBLEM FIXED SEE POST 80

Last edited by mrberry; 12-26-2020 at 08:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2020, 02:57 PM   #78
biomed27
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f30

Make sure switches 1-3 are set to on if you have 8.8 screen
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2020, 03:55 PM   #79
mrberry
Private First Class
Rep

they are. once powered on it shows the bmw idrive screen fine, its only when i try switching to mmi that the screen flashes no signal
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 08:23 AM   #80
mrberry
Private First Class
Rep

problem solved. not sure why this happened but i used the wire supplied with the evo box in the lvds in port and the original screen wire in the lvds out port.

i swapped this around so that the original bmw wire was used in the lvds inport port going from the carplay box to the headunit and then used their wire for the output from the carplay box to the screen and its working fine.

will update to let people know how i get along once ive played some more
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 05:06 PM   #81
desertspotter
Private
Rep
Drives: F22 coupe

Hi, I was reading for a solution for Andoid Auto in NBT Evo ID6 and found this great post. For sure BT MMI is expensive but I've read some good opinions on the product and support.

Just two questions for those with it.
- It's integrated with oem Rearview camera or park assistant?, the screen switch automatically if you are in AA view?
- It's integrated with other car funtions?, for example, if car status show and alarm it switch to the car status page?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2020, 07:40 PM   #82
hotsnr
Rep

> - It's integrated with oem Rearview camera or park assistant?, the screen switch automatically if you are in AA view?
Yes, once you get in R it switches to factory UI and goes back to MMI once factory UI returns to normal (either because you went to D or used button to exit that mode).

> - It's integrated with other car funtions?, for example, if car status show and alarm it switch to the car status page?
Are you talking about things like tire pressure warnings?

> For sure BT MMI is expensive but I've read some good opinions on the product and support.
At this point it works well for me except DPI settings (UI elements are somewhat small for me). I would refrain from buying BT MMI if you think that it might be a concern for you until they fix it.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 01:15 PM   #83
desertspotter
Private
Rep
Drives: F22 coupe

Quote:

> - It's integrated with other car funtions?, for example, if car status show and alarm it switch to the car status page?
Are you talking about things like tire pressure warnings?
thank you,

about the car functions, yes, for example tpms warning.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 04:46 PM   #84
floc
Second Lieutenant
Italy
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
2017 F87 M2  [0.00]
didnt have any so far, but I'm guessing it's not integrated. Opening a door triggers an alarm, not shown on mmi prime.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 12:58 PM   #85
Andry
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper S

So, if I read all correctly through the posts:
1) Both Andream and BT MMI don't support our Touch but only Idrive Knob (that's really a big minus)
2) BT is overall better for support and future reliability on upgrades but it costs almost the double
3) Better not to buy on .de website but on AliExpress due to insurance coverage.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 02:48 AM   #86
mrberry
Private First Class
Rep

yes to the above. id stick with aliexpiress alongside a credit card if possible so youve got protection if anything goes wrong

the touch screen isnt as big as you think as myself use the controller more than the screen although the screen does come handy hear n there. only alternative is to purchase the evo android screen but then i think you would loose touch with the bmw side of things
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2020, 08:37 AM   #87
Andry
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrberry View Post
yes to the above. id stick with aliexpiress alongside a credit card if possible so youve got protection if anything goes wrong

the touch screen isnt as big as you think as myself use the controller more than the screen although the screen does come handy hear n there. only alternative is to purchase the evo android screen but then i think you would loose touch with the bmw side of things
Ok, what do you mean for "Evo Android screen", the complete Android OS specific for BMW external screen? Yeah it could be an option (same $$ more or less) but I have doubts the 8.8" can fit my Mini 8.8" screen specifics. And again, as you say, don't know if it could pair with OEM HU too (only touch or whole system)

A perfect option would be the AI Box, but speakin' with KR guys it doesn't support BMW 'cause it relies on an "hack" of wired Carplay and BMW has it only Wireless.
Sadly, that was the best option for me. They told me they're developing a specific BMW version but all TBA.

I mean, yeah, I have terrible tastes: I need firstly an Android OS (want to link sometimes my Wifi Dashcam) so I need OS to run .apk or at least maybe it can work with AndroidAuto (run App via Developer option or Mirror link from Android Phone) and..if possible I want use my new Touchscreen
If Carlinkit/Andream let me run the DDPAI app for Dashcam or if I can at least Mirrorlinkining it from time to time I could cope with No-Touch.
Never had an Android Auto so I don't know the system limit Vs Android OS or what can user modify or so on
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2021, 04:16 PM   #88
gippy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 440i, pre-LCI, w/MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by biomed27 View Post
Which one did you get and what ID are you please?
Appreciate 0