F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Creaking/noisy door seals
proTUNING Freaks

09-12-2018, 12:25 PM   #67
nuthall1862
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i MSport Shadow Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuthall1862 View Post
Took my 340i into Sytner today having highlighted the tape fix. Had a call back saying that they've had a number of cars in with the same issue and BMW no longer recommend the tape fix. There are now revised door seals which I am having fitted to my car. Can't wait to have this fixed as the creaking is really annoying in what is otherwise a superb car.
Picked up my car from the dealer today. All of the door seals replaced under warranty. The drive home was completely creak free. Yay!

I didn't take before and after pics, so no demonstrable difference in the seals. The creaks have ceased for now (previous cleaning attempts only reduced rather than resolved).

Will be cleaning my car at the weekend, so will soon know for sure if updated seals have fixed the issue.
Appreciate 1
Tengocity8566.00
      09-12-2018, 04:05 PM   #68
onstat
Second Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: 335d Touring

I had the tape fix done again in July. 3 weeks later the creak was back and I hadn't washed it during this time so it was nothing to do with shampoo. Ive booked it back in again for October
      09-12-2018, 05:17 PM   #69
ian332isport
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i Shadow Edition

I'm hoping these revised seals are standard fit on new builds.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 06:22 PM   #70
jasonjo
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 Comp

The dealer came back to me and claims my car already has the "new" seals - my car is a Sept 2016 build and hence they were factory fitted with the "fixed" seals already

They aren't aware of any newer seals apparently...looks like I'm back to regular lubrication as they won't do any more than the tape fix if you already have the "fixed" factory fitted door seals

Be interested if people are finding different after talking to their dealers - a recent PUMA article number or updated warranty fix/ref info would be handy...
      09-12-2018, 06:32 PM   #71
jasonjo
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Also, after the tape fix the dealer showed me how to lubricate the door seals (and gave me some special lube spray) by pulling them away from the door frame and lubricating underneath near where they meet the metal of the door - e.g. not on the actual felt itself as the tape should prevent the felt from rubbing on the shadowline trim

To give them their due, this does seem to work but it seems to dry out again 3/4 weeks later

The dealer claims their isn't, and never will be, a complete fix - the tape plus regular ongoing lubrication is the only way to combat it...I'm now thinking they are probably being pretty honest, but who knows...
      09-14-2018, 05:24 AM   #72
Cleybrooke
Private
Rep
Drives: F31 335d xDrive

Had tape applied. Bliss for 3 weeks. Now back to driving a wooden galleon ship.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 07:42 AM   #73
djcowlin
Captain
Rep
Drives: G21 330e

This is really interesting. I had the tape fix last autumn but the creak is now back on the front passenger's door. Unfortunately my car was also built in September 2016...
      09-14-2018, 08:25 AM   #74
nuthall1862
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich9600 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktemplar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff123 View Post
As I have mentioned before, I have tried virtually everything, but now I just oil/grease the felt at the top of each door. Lasts ages and quick to reapply.

I tried washing up liquid, it works, but the creaking soon comes back.
I've stopped using snow foam as that seems to cause the issue, and have gone through the whole degrease/Gummipfledge cycle a couple of times, but the creaking always comes back to some degree.

It's worst when there's some body flex - i.e. going up onto or off pavements when parking, not too bad in general driving.

Car's going in for a service on Monday so will ask about the replacement seals.
My 14 plate F30 creaked. Washed with with DoDo Apple iFoam (Snow foam) and DoDo Supernatural shampoo.

My 66 plate F31 doesn't creak. Washed from new by me only using the same DoDo Apple iFoam then DoDo Born To Be Mild shampoo. This shampoo has no waxes or sheeting agents.

So, gentle snow foams can be fine...

Anybody know when the seals were updated?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich9600 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktemplar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff123 View Post
As I have mentioned before, I have tried virtually everything, but now I just oil/grease the felt at the top of each door. Lasts ages and quick to reapply.

I tried washing up liquid, it works, but the creaking soon comes back.
I've stopped using snow foam as that seems to cause the issue, and have gone through the whole degrease/Gummipfledge cycle a couple of times, but the creaking always comes back to some degree.

It's worst when there's some body flex - i.e. going up onto or off pavements when parking, not too bad in general driving.

Car's going in for a service on Monday so will ask about the replacement seals.
My 14 plate F30 creaked. Washed with with DoDo Apple iFoam (Snow foam) and DoDo Supernatural shampoo.

My 66 plate F31 doesn't creak. Washed from new by me only using the same DoDo Apple iFoam then DoDo Born To Be Mild shampoo. This shampoo has no waxes or sheeting agents.

So, gentle snow foams can be fine...

Anybody know when the seals were updated?
I think the seals have been updated very recently because I was told that they'd had a few cars in recently and had been applying tape. BMW now advising replacement seals. Mine is still creak free but I haven't washed yet. I will be using Snow foam and shampoo so keeping my fingers crossed that the problem doesn't return.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 08:30 AM   #75
nuthall1862
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjo View Post
The dealer came back to me and claims my car already has the "new" seals - my car is a Sept 2016 build and hence they were factory fitted with the "fixed" seals already

They aren't aware of any newer seals apparently...looks like I'm back to regular lubrication as they won't do any more than the tape fix if you already have the "fixed" factory fitted door seals

Be interested if people are finding different after talking to their dealers - a recent PUMA article number or updated warranty fix/ref info would be handy...
Quote:

My car is a May 2018 build and had new seals fitted, so I doubt that the 2016 ones are the same. Unless of course the seals aren't any different and they're just replacing them. They're recognising the issue and aren't advising against using specific products known to introduce creaking. My service department (Sytner Nottingham) seemed clued up on the issue.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 10:23 AM   #76
r1cey
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: VW Golf R

Quote:
Also, after the tape fix the dealer showed me how to lubricate the door seals (and gave me some special lube spray) by pulling them away from the door frame and lubricating underneath near where they meet the metal of the door - e.g. not on the actual felt itself as the tape should prevent the felt from rubbing on the shadowline trim

To give them their due, this does seem to work but it seems to dry out again 3/4 weeks later

The dealer claims their isn't, and never will be, a complete fix - the tape plus regular ongoing lubrication is the only way to combat it...I'm now thinking they are probably being pretty honest, but who knows...
You believe that Bullsh!t??

My M140 is the first and only car I’ve owned (in all my 30 years driving) that’s creaked so bad, that it’s really got under my skin, and embarassed me with passengers!
My previous 3 series (F30) never, neither did my BMW X3, Audi A3, Merc CLK, or Audi A4 prior to that. To be honest several Fords, Vauxhalls and Fiats prior to that never either, and neither has any of the cars my wife has owned, including a recent Fiat 500 and now a Renault Captur, so for your dealer to expect you to regularly lubricate them on your premium brand car, and state you will never cure, is taking the p!ss in my opinion!

Thankfully this forum and the babybmw one arms me with all the info I need when I visit my local dealer, particularly with any conmon issues, and thankfully, they are very understanding and accommodating. Why wouldn’t they be, they claim the costs from BMW, when under warranty!

As soon as I quoted the tape fix, when I had my winter wheels swapped at the end of March, they obliged, and while that did help, was still getting creaking during the summer, but from the glass to seal interface within the door frames, which I mentioned when it was in for it’s first oil service last month. The seals were swapped under warranty, no quibbles, and likwise when I mentioned the (infrequent) rattling exhaust flap issue (common on a lot of x40i’s), they immediately tried the S/W fix for the back pressure. Not had that issue since, but will monitor, and if I do, will be back looking for the backbox swap (which is what I believe they are now doing, instead of giving people free MPE’s!). Also complained about the corroding black chrome exhaust tips, again replaced under warranty, no quibbles. All of which is why, I’ll continue to buy from them, simples!!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 03:47 PM   #77
jasonjo
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Interesting...time to try my luck at another dealer then maybe!
      09-16-2018, 04:20 AM   #78
pstainsb@hotmail.com
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335d x drive

Glad I’ve seen a lot of people having this problem, mine has been in twice now, dealer has not applied the tap. I think all they did was clean the seals, then 2 weeks later the creaking is back, driving me insane. I will be going in armed with this info, to see what they have to say.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 11:44 AM   #79
Blacktemplar
Brigadier General
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuthall1862 View Post
My car is a May 2018 build and had new seals fitted, so I doubt that the 2016 ones are the same. Unless of course the seals aren't any different and they're just replacing them. They're recognising the issue and aren't advising against using specific products known to introduce creaking. My service department (Sytner Nottingham) seemed clued up on the issue.
I would agree with that - my car is also a Sept 2016 build and has 'galleon syndrome' as well.

Unfortunately my local dealer is Harry Fairbairn who are owned by Arnold Clark. I fear they will be clueless about this......
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 11:53 AM   #80
nuthall1862
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1cey View Post
Quote:

My M140 is the first and only car I’ve owned (in all my 30 years driving) that’s creaked so bad, that it’s really got under my skin, and embarassed me with passengers!
My previous 3 series (F30) never, neither did my BMW X3, Audi A3, Merc CLK, or Audi A4 prior to that. To be honest several Fords, Vauxhalls and Fiats prior to that never either, and neither has any of the cars my wife has owned, including a recent Fiat 500 and now a Renault Captur, so for your dealer to expect you to regularly lubricate them on your premium brand car, and state you will never cure, is taking the p!ss in my opinion!

Thankfully this forum and the babybmw one arms me with all the info I need when I visit my local dealer, particularly with any conmon issues, and thankfully, they are very understanding and accommodating. Why wouldn’t they be, they claim the costs from BMW, when under warranty!

As soon as I quoted the tape fix, when I had my winter wheels swapped at the end of March, they obliged, and while that did help, was still getting creaking during the summer, but from the glass to seal interface within the door frames, which I mentioned when it was in for it’s first oil service last month. The seals were swapped under warranty, no quibbles, and likwise when I mentioned the (infrequent) rattling exhaust flap issue (common on a lot of x40i’s), they immediately tried the S/W fix for the back pressure. Not had that issue since, but will monitor, and if I do, will be back looking for the backbox swap (which is what I believe they are now doing, instead of giving people free MPE’s!). Also complained about the corroding black chrome exhaust tips, again replaced under warranty, no quibbles. All of which is why, I’ll continue to buy from them, simples!!
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1cey View Post
Quote:

My M140 is the first and only car I've owned (in all my 30 years driving) that's creaked so bad, that it's really got under my skin, and embarassed me with passengers!

Thankfully this forum and the babybmw one arms me with all the info I need when I visit my local dealer, particularly with any conmon issues, and thankfully, they are very understanding and accommodating. Why wouldn't they be, they claim the costs from BMW, when under warranty!

As soon as I quoted the tape fix, when I had my winter wheels swapped at the end of March, they obliged, and while that did help, was still getting creaking during the summer, but from the glass to seal interface within the door frames, which I mentioned when it was in for it's first oil service last month. The seals were swapped under warranty, no quibbles, and likwise when I mentioned the (infrequent) rattling exhaust flap issue (common on a lot of x40i's), they immediately tried the S/W fix for the back pressure. Not had that issue since, but will monitor, and if I do, will be back looking for the backbox swap (which is what I believe they are now doing, instead of giving people free MPE's!). Also complained about the corroding black chrome exhaust tips, again replaced under warranty, no quibbles. All of which is why, I'll continue to buy from them, simples!!
I've been very impressed with Sytner. They knew about the issue and sorted it. They had the car for 2 days (apologising because replacing the seals on all 4 doors was time consuming and the rear set didn't arrive until 15:00 on day 1). I had a call a couple of days later asking if I was happy with the modified seals and a further apology for the time it took. I'm yet to wash the car (due to the weather), but I've no reason to believe that the problem will reoccur.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 01:48 PM   #81
jasonjo
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Cool - wish my local dealer was so well informed and customer service savvy!
      10-12-2018, 05:47 PM   #82
onstat
Second Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: 335d Touring

I had my car in again for the creaky seals this week (the tape fix hadn't worked)

They've replaced all the seals and also gave me a bottle of BMW silicon remover to use after washes. They also they showed me the areas to apply it which was mainly on the felt.

Its been pissing down ever since so I'll need some dry weather before I know if its fixed this time (fingers crossed)
      11-13-2020, 04:50 PM   #83
Swift211
Rep
Drives: Bmw f30

Hello all, been following this and a few more threads closely. I have a 2017 f30 which had the dreaded creaks which were driving me nuts.
I've contacted and been into the dealership (Sytner) the mechanic road tested the car and agreed.
Dealership quoted 600 for changing the seals but Bmw did it as a good will gesture for free.
I didn't check the old seals so can't confirm they have been changed over, but going from the forum as it is a 2017 I should have already had a revised set.
The seals have yellow writing on them with 2016 printed on them can't say I paid much attention to the old ones to know if they were the same ones.
The interesting part is they have also used the tape on thy car which makes me think they are not very confident in these new seals, or as they are dirty they haven't been swapped out.
I'll update after a few hundred miles if they work and after a few washes.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 01:50 PM   #84
fuzzybunny
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Orange F33 435dx Convertible

Having had several folding hard top convertibles, VW, Merc and now BMW, squeaky seals on roof and frameless windows are always an issue. WD40 is not recommended as it degrades the rubber. The best solution is "gummi pflege," expensive but you don't need much.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 08:17 AM   #85
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Try this

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...6#post27756776

Lube between top seals with KSP 105 after cleaning with silicone remover
      07-01-2021, 03:05 PM   #86
Steve_M_Sport
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: U06 230e Active Tourer

My 68 plate F31 has creaking door seals - I just turn the radio up so I can’t hear the squeaking

Previous : 2019 F31 340i : 2017 F31 335D M-Sport
Appreciate 0