F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Car behaves as 2 different vehicles
Extreme Powerhouse

12-20-2018, 12:30 AM   #23
dimammx
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i M-Sport

A lot of good questions will try to answer.
Car is RWD, 90% driving in comfort mode never in eco. Sometimes in sport but on slow days sport doesn’t help much.
Performance doesn’t change during driving if it is slow from get go it will stay slow; if it is fast it will remain fast.
On slow days there is almost no change in performance with increase of RPMs. On good days you can feel turbo waking up right around 2700 RPM.

Last edited by dimammx; 12-20-2018 at 12:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 02:06 PM   #24
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimammx View Post
A lot of good questions will try to answer.
Car is RWD, 90% driving in comfort mode never in eco. Sometimes in sport but on slow days sport doesn’t help much.
Performance doesn’t change during driving if it is slow from get go it will stay slow; if it is fast it will remain fast.
On slow days there is almost no change in performance with increase of RPMs. On good days you can feel turbo waking up right around 2700 RPM.
Try driving entirely in Sport+ for a full week and report back.

You live in CA where I assume it's decently warm (70+) most of the time.

It's my personnel experience after owning my M235 for nearly 3 years that the stability/traction control systems in this car are hyperactive and can kill power when they even PERCEIVE impending wheel spin. It's really noticeable to me in warmer weather, rather than colder. If it's above 60 degrees and I punch it hard in 1st or 2nd in Sport, there have been numerous occasions where I hardly get any boost and the car feels really slow. I can watch on my Torque App and see hardly any boost is being created (2 to 3psi). Why? Because the traction control system is trying to keep the wheels from spinning even if they're really not. I would imagine in Comfort mode things would be the same and possibly even worse.

I can then switch to Sport+ (which dials back traction and stability control a bit) and do the same exact run a minute later and the car will make the expected boost (~8 to 9 psi) and feel like a totally different car.

In Comfort mode and even Sport, it is clear that BMW is trying to deliver a much more smooth driving experience with a lot less abrupt power delivery.

If you really want to feel just how restrained these cars are, drive around in DSC Off (hold down the button for 5 seconds) and take note of the power delivery and responsiveness. You'd probably like it if you're driving around in Comfort as DSC Off has the more linear Comfort throttle you're accustomed to.

You can also try "Traction" mode which is a single push of the DSC Off button. This will give you the Comfort throttle, Comfort shocks, the reduced traction and stability control, and the Sport exhaust note/burbles.

Finally, make sure you're using a high quality 91+ octane fuel. Being in CA, you're stuck with crap ACN 91 fuel. Make sure to buy from places like Shell and the like and not a cheap store. If you buy fuel from the same store, try a different one.

Last edited by XutvJet; 12-21-2018 at 02:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 08:12 AM   #25
cm3_psx
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i 2015 435i x-drive

I have felt the same way about my 2015 435, but the way I would describe it is the car feels "inconsistent". Part of me thinks its xDrive that is doing this, but I am not really sure...
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 08:18 PM   #26
mclark2112
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW X3 M40i

I just replaced my 2011 335 RWD with a 2015 335 Xdrive. I too feel that sometimes the power just isn't there, but not to the level you describe. I am going to try driving around in sport plus and see how it feels. Haven't done that much as I have only had the car just over a month. I do miss my 2011, it was just perfect, but a deer took it out
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 01:12 AM   #27
dimammx
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Wow interesting to know this issue is more common. Also a little bit discouraging, such variance in performance and no detectable codes.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 10:40 AM   #28
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimammx View Post
Wow interesting to know this issue is more common. Also a little bit discouraging, such variance in performance and no detectable codes.
Wait till you tune the car. It only gets worse. The DME in these cars is very smart. If it detects a situation where it perceives or sees over-boost (especially in cold weather), knock, wheelspin (assuming you're in a nanny driving mode), and/or sensor values that seem wonky, it will reduce timing, open the wastegate, engage the brakes, etc. It's doing this to save your motor and/or keep an amateur driver from ending up in a ditch. It is annoying that power can occasionally be inconsistent but turbo cars need a lot of babysitting to keep them and their owners out of trouble.
      12-27-2018, 11:01 AM   #29
BMWILUVU
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340ix

Do you use the same gas every fill-up? I have noticed the same in my car. The temperature swings nowadays do not help.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 02:40 PM   #30
B58 parts
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 340ix 6MT

A couple times I've done a pull and have gotten brief to not-so-brief full on throttle closures when up-shifting. I wasn't sure what it was at the time but after some research I believe it was simply the computer cutting things off.

As such, I've been using DSC off mode exclusively and that has yet to occur. (stock tune, no overboost etc). I am used to cars without any of this nonsense...
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2018, 08:27 PM   #31
dimammx
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

I use same Chevron gas station, sometimes Shell. Outside temperature 40-60.
Now a lot of you mentioned DSC interfering. But on slow days you dont have to push it too hard to notice lack of power. Car just feels like parking brake is on heavy and unwilling to accelerate. On good days its just takes off and feels light. I don’t think DSC will trigger at such low power application.
Appreciate 0