F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Sport mode +
Studio RSR

12-11-2018, 01:56 PM   #45
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer456 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Werke View Post
I mostly use Sport because I don't like the orange dash light that Sport+ puts on in my pre-lci. But if someone creeps next to me at a light, and it looks like they might attempt some overtake shenanigans then I will not hesitate to engage SPORT+ (and slam the shifter to the left)
Yes I've left a few cars in the dust doing that.
And they didn't even know y'all were racing.
      12-11-2018, 02:15 PM   #46
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_f30 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I mostly use Sport because I don't like the orange dash light that Sport+ puts on in my pre-lci. But if someone creeps next to me at a light, and it looks like they might attempt some overtake shenanigans then I will not hesitate to engage SPORT+ (and slam the shifter to the left)
Yes I've left a few cars in the dust doing that.
And they didn't even know y'all were racing.
Someone was trying to race me in a Ford Fusion just now. He didn't speed up till I we were moving and I was in front then he tried to catch up to me.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 02:16 PM   #47
SmoothStyle1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 340i, 6MT

Quote:
If you don't have adaptive suspension, nothing changes. EcoPro, Comfort, Sport, Sport+...all the same.
Yes, but that's not what I'm asking...

I'm asking how stiff the suspension is in an F30 in Sport Mode with Adaptive Suspension as compared to non-adaptive suspension F30 with the M-Sport package.

I have adaptive suspension and I feel likes it's stiffer in sport mode than non-adaptive M-Sport suspension.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 02:19 PM   #48
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothStyle1 View Post
Quote:
If you don't have adaptive suspension, nothing changes. EcoPro, Comfort, Sport, Sport+...all the same.

I'm asking how stiff the suspension is in an F30 in Sport Mode with Adaptive Suspension as compared to non-adaptive suspension F30 with the M-Sport package.
Oh my bad. I must defer. Haven't driven an F30 with adaptive to compare.
      12-11-2018, 02:26 PM   #49
Hammer Werke
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328d Touring

Quote:

I have adaptive suspension and I feel likes it's stiffer in sport mode than non-adaptive M-Sport suspension.
Does the M-Sport package include stiffer springs? I thought it was just wheels, seats, sills and bumpers/skirts.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 02:29 PM   #50
egoflux
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xdrive

Quote:
Does the M-Sport package include stiffer springs? I thought it was just wheels, seats, sills and bumpers/skirts.
That's what I thought but are the springs made to match comfort, sport or sport+?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 02:44 PM   #51
SmoothStyle1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by egoflux View Post
That's what I thought but are the springs made to match comfort, sport or sport+?
Exactly. This is my question. What mode in an F30 M-Sport with Adaptive Suspension is most close to the suspension you get in an F30 M-Sport without Adaptive Suspension.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 02:48 PM   #52
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Exactly. This is my question. What mode in an F30 M-Sport with Adaptive Suspension is most close to the suspension you get in an F30 M-Sport without Adaptive Suspension.
I don't know that there's many people that have driven both and can answer that question.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 03:08 PM   #53
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Stiffness order:

Adaptive Suspension - Comfort
M-sport (non-Adaptive)
Adaptive Suspension - Sport / Sport+
      12-11-2018, 03:40 PM   #54
SmoothStyle1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
Stiffness order:

Adaptive Suspension - Comfort
M-sport (non-Adaptive)
Adaptive Suspension - Sport / Sport+
This seems about right. I do think that adaptive suspension sport mode is stiffer than non-adaptive M-Sport suspension.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 04:27 PM   #55
movietub
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330d M-Sport Touring, Black.

The msport springs are the same with or without adaptive damping. The damping makes all the difference though.

So on a normal drive the adaptive is softer as although it rides on the same springs, it softens the damping and let's the car float a little. The moment you build any sort of dynamic forces, it will tighten up the damping.

I have real life experience of this, my old adaptive f31 was softer on the daily drive and more taught in the bends than my standard f36! Both m sport. Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2018, 09:25 PM   #56
cefiro8701
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 328i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleod7 View Post
What does sport mode + do exactly. I know it turns off DTC but are there any other changes?
It makes the car sound alot bettter at the cost of a few mpg's.

Last edited by cefiro8701; 12-11-2018 at 09:29 PM.. Reason: not enough coffee today.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 06:59 AM   #57
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

What do you mean by "sound a lot better"? Better than what (Sport?) and in what way?
      12-12-2018, 11:19 AM   #58
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
As there is a compromise around spring rate with adaptive damping, it is logical that Comfort will be softer, Sport will be firmer, than a passive damper tuned to the M-sport spring rate. (Sport + is not relevant to the damping rate).
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 12:01 PM   #59
movietub
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330d M-Sport Touring, Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
As there is a compromise around spring rate with adaptive damping, it is logical that Comfort will be softer, Sport will be firmer, than a passive damper tuned to the M-sport spring rate. (Sport + is not relevant to the damping rate).
I believe the springs are identical across all m-sport models 3/4 series.

Spring rate is always a compromise, but adaptive damping can do a lot to stop the car feeling too firm or soft at the wrong time.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 02:07 PM   #60
harperium
Major
Rep
Drives: G80 M3cx

My '17 340i xDrive with MPPSK -

Sport+ in D and S modes does hold the gears longer and downshifts more aggressively than Sport. Because of this, there are more pops and crackles from the exhaust.

But in M mode, manually shifting, Sport and Sport+ are basically the same - the only difference being DSCOff for Sport+. The suspension, steering and throttle mapping are identical. The engine noises are identical.

As far as I can tell...
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 02:15 PM   #61
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by harperium View Post
My '17 340i xDrive with MPPSK -

Sport+ in D and S modes does hold the gears longer and downshifts more aggressively than Sport. Because of this, there are more pops and crackles from the exhaust.

But in M mode, manually shifting, Sport and Sport+ are basically the same - the only difference being DSCOff for Sport+. The suspension, steering and throttle mapping are identical. The engine noises are identical.

As far as I can tell...
Off the line throttle response is better in sport+ than sport. Less noticeable once you're moving. How's the xdrive on your car?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 02:23 PM   #62
harperium
Major
Rep

Quote:
Off the line throttle response is better in sport+ than sport. Less noticeable once you're moving. How's the xdrive on your car?
Interesting about the throttle - will have to try it out

I got a couple tickets this summer, so I've toned down my ... spirited driving a bit. Less Sport+ mode for me.

xDrive is OK. It does raise the car some, which doesn't look great. And it takes some getting used to being able to hammer the throttle mid-corner and just power out of the turn. I generally put All Seasons on in the winter rather than Winters. I think tires like Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ have better cold dry/wet traction than winters, just less traction on actual snow & ice, which I rarely drive on. Plus I go on road trips in the winter that take me south into temps well into the 50s and 60s.

If I could wave a magic wand and go back to RWD I would.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 02:26 PM   #63
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Interesting about the throttle - will have to try it out

I got a couple tickets this summer, so I've toned down my ... spirited driving a bit. Less Sport+ mode for me.

xDrive is OK. It does raise the car some, which doesn't look great. And it takes some getting used to being able to hammer the throttle mid-corner and just power out of the turn. I generally put All Seasons on in the winter rather than Winters. I think tires like Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ have better cold dry/wet traction than winters, just less traction on actual snow & ice, which I rarely drive on. Plus I go on road trips in the winter that take me south into temps well into the 50s and 60s.

If I could wave a magic wand and go back to RWD I would.
Ok yeah I know the suspension isn't that great and the turn radius is worse, just trying to see if it's worth the compromise for improved cornering ability.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 02:32 PM   #64
harperium
Major
Rep

Quote:
Ok yeah I know the suspension isn't that great and the turn radius is worse, just trying to see if it's worth the compromise for improved cornering ability.
well, it's "easier" to drive, certainly... there have been MANY times where I'm driving on cold wet roads, through intersections, and my habit of jack-rabbit starts actually make the wheels spin/slip a bit. In a RWD car this would be a lot worse. With xDrive, I notice it, but the car powers ahead without going sideways.

In a lot of cases, I have more usable power off the line than an M3 or M2.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 02:39 PM   #65
bimmer456
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
well, it's "easier" to drive, certainly... there have been MANY times where I'm driving on cold wet roads, through intersections, and my habit of jack-rabbit starts actually make the wheels spin/slip a bit. In a RWD car this would be a lot worse. With xDrive, I notice it, but the car powers ahead without going sideways.

In a lot of cases, I have more usable power off the line than an M3 or M2.
Yeah I believe it starts off as rwd then the transfer case engages when slippage is detected. Looking forward to when the M3 has x drive.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 02:57 PM   #66
5mall5nail5
Not stock
United_States
Rep
Drives: E34 525i Turbo

Quote:
Yes there is a chassis mode you can select in sport mode. You can also select drivetrain only.
Right but what I mean was that turning off chassis mode for sport only affected "Sport", not "Sport+"
1987 325e
Appreciate 0