F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Noobie Question about brakes and tracking the car
Extreme Powerhouse

08-02-2018, 11:24 AM   #1
FazAttack
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3

Noobie Question about brakes and tracking the car

Hello Everybody. I own a 2016 340ix with the m sport package and track package (blue brakes). The car has about 18k miles half of which is consists of some pretty hard back road driving on the original pads and rotors. I was going to order a fresh set of pads and high temp oil fluid for a two day track event. ( first time tracking this car ). Anyway, before I did this I wanted to see if I could get new brakes from BMW. They said the brakes were within spec ): .... But now that I am looking at the Tech sheet it seem that the rotors may be pretty worn down too. Im looking for an opinion if I should 1. just go ahead and order the new pads and brake fluid or 2. just use the brakes stock that are on the car now or 3. not track the car b/c I dont feel like spending 4k on car still under maintenance and warranty. Thanks! - the tech notes are as follows:

LF rotor is at 24.56mm RF rotor is at 24.78mm - min spec of 22.4
Front brake pads are at 7mm, min spec of 3.7mm

RR rotor is at 20.46mm LR is at 20.53mm with a min spec of 18mm
Rear pads are at 5mm with a min spec of 3.7 mm

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 11:56 AM   #2
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Many drivers choose to track their vehicle with stock brakes but I would not recommend it. Tracking places tremendous demands on brakes (especially calipers) and to manage heat dissipation properly requires ... well properly designed brakes.

My favorite brakes for tracking: AP Racing Radi-CAL, now available in a newer upgraded version as Radi-CAL 2. Do some research first ...
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 07:49 PM   #3
zinner
Major
Rep
Drives: `17 X5 35d/`15 335i/`18 M550IX

I would keep the rotors as long as they are in good shape. Get some new pads and fluid. If it's your first go on the track just take it slow and work up to doing the late braking etc. The brakes are very capable and the rotors are huge (370mm). Get into a HPDE with good instructors (BMW CCA) and they will be able to guide you very well in the capabilities of your car. Also take your car to be inspected at a shop that deals with track cars so they can head off any issues. The dealer isn't the place to deal with these issues.
Appreciate 1
kern4174442.00
      08-02-2018, 08:01 PM   #4
FazAttack
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
I would keep the rotors as long as they are in good shape. Get some new pads and fluid. If it's your first go on the track just take it slow and work up to doing the late braking etc. The brakes are very capable and the rotors are huge (370mm). Get into a HPDE with good instructors (BMW CCA) and they will be able to guide you very well in the capabilities of your car. Also take your car to be inspected at a shop that deals with track cars so they can head off any issues. The dealer isn't the place to deal with these issues.
Yep I think that's what I'm gonna do. I'm doing a two day track event at Watkins glen with PCA and I'm sure they have good drivers too. Just hope I can make the drive home on the the rotors :
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 10:19 PM   #5
zinner
Major
Rep
Drives: `17 X5 35d/`15 335i/`18 M550IX

Quote:
Originally Posted by FazAttack View Post
Yep I think that's what I'm gonna do. I'm doing a two day track event at Watkins glen with PCA and I'm sure they have good drivers too. Just hope I can make the drive home on the the rotors :
I am still on original rotors and 3rd set of pads @ 45k miles. I think Polo08816 is at 90k stock rotors.
Appreciate 1
Polo088161593.50
      08-03-2018, 11:00 AM   #6
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Many drivers choose to track their vehicle with stock brakes but I would not recommend it. Tracking places tremendous demands on brakes (especially calipers) and to manage heat dissipation properly requires ... well properly designed brakes.

My favorite brakes for tracking: AP Racing Radi-CAL, now available in a newer upgraded version as Radi-CAL 2. Do some research first ...
Dude, he's a beginner, no way he needs a BBK. If he had extensive track experience he wouldn't even be asking the questions he is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
I agree with this. New fluid will definitely help. I used the OE fluid my first track day and got a longer pedal as the day went on. Higher boiling temp fluid will prevent that (I use SRF now).

Your brake pad thicknesses are getting to the point where they're fine for the street, but for the track you might consider getting new pads (although you could probably run them on the track and be fine). The rotors are definitely fine. Your pad choice will depend if you want a dedicated track pad or looking at a dual-use compromise.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 08:27 PM   #7
EDWYER
Yoda of mods
Rep
Drives: X5 RWD

Garage List
2015 X5 RWD  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
Use what you have, beat the hell out of it and get experience. Then upgrade the pads and rotors later.
YT: https://www.youtube.com/@DWYERGARAGE/videos
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2018, 07:55 AM   #8
kern417
Cheapskate
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i |2016 340i | 2010 X5

Definitely upgrade the pads and fluid. The most annoying thing is to go to your first track day, feel the car getting faster, and then be limited by brakes or tires. You don't need to upgrade to something aggressive, but at a minimum make sure you're running something that can handle the additional heat. This is coming from someone that enjoyed a fun-filled first day, but had several scary moments the second day with a mushy pedal. Especially frustrating when they give you the go ahead to run solo and you try to start pushing the car by yourself.
Youtube/Instagram/TikTok: @kern417
Appreciate 0