F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > General performance questions
ARMA SPEED

08-12-2018, 02:44 PM   #1
1zhp
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i ZHP Edition, 2016 M4

General performance questions

Hey guys, I have a few questions about where to start with performance upgrades. My local shop suggested active autowerkes tune, downpipe, and charge pipe. They're a sponsored dealer so i'm not surprised they suggested them over dinan. However, I know active is a good company, but i'm open to other suggestions.

What was the order of your add ons?
Any mods I should do instead of the aforementioned?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 03:16 PM   #2
E90705
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90/F25 M-sport

Start off with a flash ots tune, when you start adding bolt on hardware ( DP, FMIC, fueling, etc ) you can reflash to match hardware. MHD and Bootmod3 are at the top rn in terms of best flash tune choices.

I'm sure this topic has been covered many times as I would just "search" the forums.

I started out with stage 1 tune and added hardware here and there.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 03:39 PM   #3
jh_f30
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sportline Auto RWD

AA's tune is fine. I have it on my car, but if I'm being honest, BM3 and MHD seem to have much more activity and traction on this forum. So if I had to do it all over again, I'd probably go with BM3. I went with AA because they were one of the earlier options for an OBD flash tune and I was an impatient monkey.

That said, I don't have any issues with the tune. The others just seem to offer more flexibility with the ability to flash with a phone/tablet and to control certain options like cold start delete and burbles on the fly, whereas my AA tune requires me to bust out my laptop and the cold start delete and burble tune are written into the map.

As far as hardware, I went with VRSF solely for the value and have had no issues. The way I see it, they're just open pipes...there are probably not a lot of differences between brands compared to say, an exhaust where design and materials can completely change how it sounds.
1zhp20.50