F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Is this Hypocrisy?
Extreme Power House
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-16-2018, 08:29 AM   #23
Watsey
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
1639
Rep
3,850
Posts

Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Herts and Hants, UK

iTrader: (1)

I wouldn't say it's outright hypocrisy, more like evolution.

Go back 30 years and cars were basic, thirsty, running on leaded fuel. They've modernised and become more efficient, perhaps not always in terms of real-life mpg but certainly in terms of overall air quality (emissions). Except for, say, the US (a developed nation, not third world) where the improvements (adoption) in fuel efficient cars has been more recent (but the F150 pickup is still a massive seller).

30 years ago achieving orbit was in its infancy. It didn't bring much to the development of mankind, i.e. the masses, except for the realisation that we'd finally cleared the gravitational pull of our own planet and theoretically could travel to the stars. The bigger benefit of course comes through the technological leap in communications and information that springboards our way of life to a much more advanced level. That may be thx availability of HD porn to a mud hut, but what if it was you in that mud hut

To a large degree market forces will dictate how many times rockets and satellites are launched. Land, sea and air transport generates far more pollution - that's where the real problem lies.
__________________
Current : F31 330sD, DMS remap, Ohlins Road & Track, Vorshlag adjustable top mounts, SuperPro front caster adjustable bushes, Bird's ARBs, MPSS, Quaife LSD, StopTech BBK.

Previous : E91 330D M Sport; E91 330D SE; E46 320D M Sport Touring; E46 330D M Sport Saloon
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2018, 10:33 AM   #24
Mr Whippy
Lieutenant
101
Rep
461
Posts

Drives: Z4
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: North UK

iTrader: (0)

But things need transporting. People need resources to survive.

That means energy has to be exchanged.

That invariably causes pollution.

The solution is firstly to alter the way we access resources. Local = better.

Then trim the consumer count.
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2018, 12:32 PM   #25
Skwirrel
Private
26
Rep
58
Posts

Drives: 330d
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Herts

iTrader: (0)

Musk has a habit of using other peoples ideas and money and taking the credit for them.

Although often credited, he did not found Tesla or create Paypal, these were the result of some shrewd investments and mergers with other companies. Do not mistake control i.e. voting rights with ownership, or business acumen for squeezing out shareholders

His skills are seeing new trends early, popularising them, then checking out with a handsome profit
Online news in the 90's
Internet banking in the 00's
Electric Cars in the 10's

He is in the same magnitude as Trump, don't be surprised if he decides to run for president!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2018, 06:37 AM   #26
bodtwo
Lieutenant
191
Rep
556
Posts

Drives: F31 335D
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Sheffield

iTrader: (0)

Hypocrisy .... Yes.
Does he give a fuck .... No.

Whether you like it or not, welcome to the world of disruptive capitalism.
__________________
Received F31 335D EBII - with lots of toys, may need more.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 06:41 PM   #27
hudson012003
Second Lieutenant
hudson012003's Avatar
United Kingdom
143
Rep
242
Posts

Drives: 340i Msport Tanzanite blue
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Cheshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodtwo View Post
Hypocrisy .... Yes.
Does he give a fuck .... No.

Whether you like it or not, welcome to the world of disruptive capitalism.
Not attempting to cause a massive debate but what is ‘disruptive capitalism’? Sounds like something one of my daughters uni mates would say when we visit & when you ask them to explain it always ends up in a convoluted argument

Is it a case of Technology disrupt’s capitalism??
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 06:57 PM   #28
bodtwo
Lieutenant
191
Rep
556
Posts

Drives: F31 335D
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Sheffield

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudson012003 View Post


Not attempting to cause a massive debate but what is ‘disruptive capitalism’? Sounds like something one of my daughters uni mates would say when we visit & when you ask them to explain it always ends up in a convoluted argument

Is it a case of Technology disrupt’s capitalism??
Pretty common place these days. Pick a traditional industry that is very slow to react to change, throw together a new business model, with massive media, publicity campaign behind it and attract investors to the latest emperors shiny new clothes.

Often a loss making venture aimed at lowering share price or valuation or cash of said traditional company so new player can pick them up cheap. And then of course stiff punters.

Musk with PayPal, Tesla, space x and power walls. Apple good at this too. Sometimes can be good, more often a pile of wank dressed up.

All very catchy and in with the yooth, but absolutely no thought to people within industry, not that there ever has been of course.
__________________
Received F31 335D EBII - with lots of toys, may need more.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2018, 07:54 PM   #29
hudson012003
Second Lieutenant
hudson012003's Avatar
United Kingdom
143
Rep
242
Posts

Drives: 340i Msport Tanzanite blue
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Cheshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodtwo View Post
Pretty common place these days. Pick a traditional industry that is very slow to react to change, throw together a new business model, with massive media, publicity campaign behind it and attract investors to the latest emperors shiny new clothes.

Often a loss making venture aimed at lowering share price or valuation or cash of said traditional company so new player can pick them up cheap. And then of course stiff punters.

Musk with PayPal, Tesla, space x and power walls. Apple good at this too. Sometimes can be good, more often a pile of wank dressed up.

All very catchy and in with the yooth, but absolutely no thought to people within industry, not that there ever has been of course.
Thanks for that (seriously). Very interesting / disconcerting. Hopefully our Govt will feel same re. GKN & Melrose? But then as you accurately describe above it can all be taken away so quickly in the digital age...
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:51 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST