F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > ACS Springs Upgrade F30 330d
Extreme Powerhouse

07-16-2018, 04:21 PM   #1
denzo
Rep
Drives: F30 330d

ACS Springs Upgrade F30 330d

Car is a F30 330d Luxury, SE stock springs. This is kind of thread has probably been done to death but..

Everybody by now knows the wallowing drive of the stock F30 and ACS springs seemed the most most popular upgrade. After a nervous encounter on the motorway doing higher speeds, where the car wafted from right to left, I felt it was the right time. In the moment it felt as if though I had no control over the car and its scary to even think what could have happened.

I was going for it purely for handling reasons, and couldnt really care less about the lowering aspect of the springs. Another reason why I went for ACS they lower the car the least out of most competing brands.

Phoned up Lorcan and a date was set. I arranged to fit the springs through the Rossiters authorised garage Autoleys, which is about a 10 minture drive away. The actual day went really well, hospitality from Lorcan and his team was second to none. Very friendly and the coffee was on tap which always helps! Just want to say thanks again. Shout out to Ian from Autoleys also, he knows his stuff.

Took around 4 hours to install and this included new bump stops I decided to change over at the time. Car had done 70,000 + miles at this point and it couldn’t really hurt to change them over.

Once the springs were fitted what can I say, if you have been mulling over this go for it. You will not regret it one bit. Car handles mostly the same at lower speeds, except maybe you feel at bit more of the road. The car however really came into itself at higher speeds and when cornering. No more wallowing car felt more planted and actually drove in the direction you wanted it too. When cornering you have more confidence in what the car is doing and there is no uncertainty in what the car might do, this alone was worth it for me.

And this is just from the springs alone. I do plan on going for the full set up with the shocks, when funds allow and the current stock ones give in and cant even begin to imagine what difference that will make.

Can not recommend this upgrade enough
Appreciate 2
Lorcan3609.00
Soul_Glo13343.50
      07-16-2018, 05:19 PM   #2
Junebug85
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive - M Sport Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by denzo View Post
Car is a F30 330d Luxury, SE stock springs. This is kind of thread has probably been done to death but..

Everybody by now knows the wallowing drive of the stock F30 and ACS springs seemed the most most popular upgrade. After a nervous encounter on the motorway doing higher speeds, where the car wafted from right to left, I felt it was the right time. In the moment it felt as if though I had no control over the car and its scary to even think what could have happened.

I was going for it purely for handling reasons, and couldnt really care less about the lowering aspect of the springs. Another reason why I went for ACS they lower the car the least out of most competing brands.

Phoned up Lorcan and a date was set. I arranged to fit the springs through the Rossiters authorised garage Autoleys, which is about a 10 minture drive away. The actual day went really well, hospitality from Lorcan and his team was second to none. Very friendly and the coffee was on tap which always helps! Just want to say thanks again. Shout out to Ian from Autoleys also, he knows his stuff.

Took around 4 hours to install and this included new bump stops I decided to change over at the time. Car had done 70,000 + miles at this point and it couldn't really hurt to change them over.

Once the springs were fitted what can I say, if you have been mulling over this go for it. You will not regret it one bit. Car handles mostly the same at lower speeds, except maybe you feel at bit more of the road. The car however really came into itself at higher speeds and when cornering. No more wallowing car felt more planted and actually drove in the direction you wanted it too. When cornering you have more confidence in what the car is doing and there is no uncertainty in what the car might do, this alone was worth it for me.

And this is just from the springs alone. I do plan on going for the full set up with the shocks, when funds allow and the current stock ones give in and cant even begin to imagine what difference that will make.

I had mine done in May through Lorcan and Ian. As you said the upgrade was great and the hospitality I got was even better. Great day all round

Have you just bought your car or did you do the 70,000 on the original springs and then decide to change?

G30 540i xDrive / Stage 3 via BM3 / xHP Stage 3 / Pure 800 Cast Turbo / 5" Catted Downpipe / MST Intake / Remus Exhaust / MSS Springs / 19" JR SL01 & Conti SC7 / 20" BBS CI-R & Michelin PS4S / F90 Sway Bars & Braces / Lots of Gloss Black
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 12:36 AM   #3
330XDave
Major
Rep
Drives: 330d xDrive Touring

Having just done a 350 mile round trip on 90% motorway in my F31 330d xDrive I really can't fathom where all of this negativity against the so called awful handling on stock suspension comes from.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 01:12 AM   #4
denzo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junebug85 View Post
I had mine done in May through Lorcan and Ian. As you said the upgrade was great and the hospitality I got was even better. Great day all round

Have you just bought your car or did you do the 70,000 on the original springs and then decide to change?
Drove about 10k miles since purchase before deciding to go for the springs
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 01:14 AM   #5
denzo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330XDave View Post
Having just done a 350 mile round trip on 90% motorway in my F31 330d xDrive I really can't fathom where all of this negativity against the so called awful handling on stock suspension comes from.
Comming from an e90 there is a massive difference for me personally. I guess it comes down to what you find acceptable. Having driven a 335d xdrive for a while I can say the same for the stock set up on that also.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 05:30 AM   #6
1966-TR4
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F31 330D xDrive MPPK ACS

Quote:
Try and drive it quickly on a B road

Gone but not forgotten: 1967 Triumph GT6 Mk1 (6 pot 2 litre widowmaker) 1966 Triumph TR4A (4 pot 2.2 litre, huge torque, lovely car) 2004 Audi TT 3.2 DSG Quattro (weak springs & nose heavy) 2006 VW Golf GTI (brilliant on good tyres)
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 06:15 AM   #7
MATYAL330XD
MATYAL
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 530d xdrive

how much did it cost fitted?....
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 06:21 AM   #8
Dr Forinor
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 335d

Quote:
The motorway isn't enough to give you a good feel of what the suspension really lacks. You need to try it out on a B road and then you understand.
Coding. LED Front Fogs. DIY Driver Glovebox. KW Street Comfort. 15mm Rear ARB. Tarox SS Brake Lines. Motorwerks Remap. DIY Rear 12v Socket. M Performance Discs. Tarox Strada Pads. Spacers (10mm & 12mm). Head Unit USB Cable. Rear Diffuser. Rear Light Tints. Non RFTs.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 07:32 AM   #9
330XDave
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Forinor View Post
The motorway isn't enough to give you a good feel of what the suspension really lacks. You need to try it out on a B road and then you understand.
I was responding to the OP to be honest.

At 32 with 2 kids I think my days of thrashing my car around B roads are done. I can make quick enough progress in an enjoyable manner with my car as it is.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 07:47 AM   #10
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
Comming from an e90 there is a massive difference for me personally. I guess it comes down to what you find acceptable. Having driven a 335d xdrive for a while I can say the same for the stock set up on that also.
Is the SE suspension really that bad on an F30 compared to an E90? I never found the handling that bad even on the twisties with an E90 SE.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 07:56 AM   #11
330XDave
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooded View Post
Is the SE suspension really that bad on an F30 compared to an E90? I never found the handling that bad even on the twisties with an E90 SE.
No, it really isn't, unless you're expecting hot hatch beating agility.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 08:29 AM   #12
denzo
Rep

Quote:
Yes imo the e90 stock SE was more planted and sure footed, granted the ride was noticeably firmer.. I think BMW really dropped the ball on the f30 suspension set up
Appreciate 1
Hooded1669.00
      07-17-2018, 08:33 AM   #13
denzo
Rep

Quote:
No, it really isn't, unless you're expecting hot hatch beating agility.
Why is it hot hatch beating agility or a wollowy wafting drive. I think there is happy medium and thats the ACS springs
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 08:56 AM   #14
MATYAL330XD
MATYAL
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

Took around 4 hours to install and this included new bump stops I decided to change over at the time. Car had done 70,000 + miles at this point and it couldn’t really hurt to change them over.

it would be good to know how much you payed for it all as i really want to get this done but has the be the right price...
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 10:58 AM   #15
Lorcan
The artist formerly known as AC Schnitzer UK
Rep
Drives: The Yellow Peril

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATYAL330XD View Post
it would be good to know how much you payed for it all as i really want to get this done but has the be the right price...
The springs including fitting at ours or another good independent comes to around £700 inc vat and wheel alignment etc. We've sold around 2000 sets in the UK now (90% for xDrive cars) so clearly a significant number of 3 and 4 series drivers feel they are worth it.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 02:19 PM   #16
Junebug85
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive - M Sport Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATYAL330XD View Post
Quote:

For the price they cost to have them on the car, its definitely worth it for the benefits they bring.

As many have said before and I now agree.... It's how the car should of left the factory.

Also consider spacers.... Just for the visual enhancements alone!

G30 540i xDrive / Stage 3 via BM3 / xHP Stage 3 / Pure 800 Cast Turbo / 5" Catted Downpipe / MST Intake / Remus Exhaust / MSS Springs / 19" JR SL01 & Conti SC7 / 20" BBS CI-R & Michelin PS4S / F90 Sway Bars & Braces / Lots of Gloss Black
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 02:31 PM   #17
MATYAL330XD
MATYAL
United Kingdom
Rep

I was quoted end of last year just over £600. I would have thought maybe it would get cheeper but i guess not :

I want to get it done as i am keeping the car but too much Monies!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 03:25 PM   #18
Lorcan
The artist formerly known as AC Schnitzer UK
Rep
Drives: The Yellow Peril

Deutschtech in Milton Keynes were offering a fitted deal at £495 not long ago. Shop around!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 03:49 PM   #19
MATYAL330XD
MATYAL
United Kingdom
Rep

I will do thanks Lorcan
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 04:15 PM   #20
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Quote:
I doubt the suspension is in any way lacking.

But the OP does say that they were doing 'higher speeds'.

I suspect it's more that a case of excessive speed, lack of attentiveness, and an over-correction being far more to blame than the suspension setup.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 04:36 PM   #21
denzo
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post

I suspect it's more that a case of excessive speed, lack of attentiveness, and an over-correction being far more to blame than the suspension setup.
Instead of assuming what I meant let me explain. By higher speeds, I mean b roads and motorway driving, basically anything other than in town driving. If a small bump or uneveness in the road can cause you to change direction I would call that lacking.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 04:46 PM   #22
Hooded
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbiep View Post

What the OP describes and how many other members of this forum have described the F30 SE suspension is not how the suspension was on the E90 SE that I used to own, .. that could push on quite well on the B roads.

This is why I asked the question .. is it really so much worse on the F30 (I've never driven an F30 with SE suspension)... it appears that it is.
Appreciate 0