F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > F30 Aftermarket Headlight Upgrade
proTUNING Freaks

07-20-2017, 09:49 AM   #23
nWinter
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i xDrive Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehatchblack View Post
With the correct wiring harness, it really is plug and play with a bit of coding. A way better alternative to HID projectors. Here's a long thread on it. http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1191601 I've read it a couple times and it seems like the best choice for OEM.

USR Depos are never in stock. I just happened have my name on the notification list a few months back.
Where would one be able to find out more info and get their hands on such a harness? As far as coding, it shouldn't be too involved right...code out warm/cold checks and maybe the turn signals always on. Hopefully you wouldn't have to mess with DRL code that much but I can't say for sure.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 11:55 AM   #24
nWinter
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nWinter View Post
Where would one be able to find out more info and get their hands on such a harness? As far as coding, it shouldn't be too involved right...code out warm/cold checks and maybe the turn signals always on. Hopefully you wouldn't have to mess with DRL code that much but I can't say for sure.
Man was I wrong, this would be a headache project. Contacted the seller, see below:

Hello,
1.Will these headlights fit and work with a 2014 BMW 328i xDrive?
Last 7 of VIN#: NS08537
2. Is any coding or splicing required for these headlights to function or are they plugnplay?
3. Do the headlights include all parts, pieces, bulbs, wires, adapters, etc. for a full installation or are there any other items that need to be purchased separately?
Thank you.

Hello,

1. It can be fitted - but it is very difficult task.
2. Rewiring, connectors replacement, reprogramming is required. Sometimes you need to change some more components in car (light ECU).
3. You will get complete headlights only. Nothing more. No wires, no adapters or any other part, which you need for retrofit.
Your previous message
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 04:19 PM   #25
nWinter
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehatchblack View Post
With the correct wiring harness, it really is plug and play with a bit of coding. A way better alternative to HID projectors. Here's a long thread on it. http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1191601 I've read it a couple times and it seems like the best choice for OEM.

USR Depos are never in stock. I just happened have my name on the notification list a few months back.
Checked the eBay headlight price this morning and by lunch it went up $300...so $2300 for new headlights, I don't think so. Fate would have it that USR has Depo back in stock and Schniedmann is on vacation until July 30th, so I just placed an order. I'll post updates, let's hope for the best!
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2017, 04:27 PM   #26
d_a_m
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i

Lightbulb

Quote:
Checked the eBay headlight price this morning and by lunch it went up $300...so $2300 for new headlights, I don't think so. Fate would have it that USR has Depo back in stock and Schniedmann is on vacation until July 30th, so I just placed an order. I'll post updates, let's hope for the best!
Awesome. You were destined to wait for USR. I got their email too, but luckily, I already have them. Post pics when you get them installed. You'll love them!
      07-20-2017, 06:22 PM   #27
eddiehatchblack
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F31 x-Drive Wagon

Of course the seller isn't going to tell you it's easy. Read that thread I quoted earlier, it's easier than you think. But I did also receive the USR email, so get that if you want to save some money.

Quote:
Man was I wrong, this would be a headache project. Contacted the seller, see below:

Hello,
1.Will these headlights fit and work with a 2014 BMW 328i xDrive?
Last 7 of VIN#: NS08537
2. Is any coding or splicing required for these headlights to function or are they plugnplay?
3. Do the headlights include all parts, pieces, bulbs, wires, adapters, etc. for a full installation or are there any other items that need to be purchased separately?
Thank you.

Hello,

1. It can be fitted - but it is very difficult task.
2. Rewiring, connectors replacement, reprogramming is required. Sometimes you need to change some more components in car (light ECU).
3. You will get complete headlights only. Nothing more. No wires, no adapters or any other part, which you need for retrofit.
Your previous message
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 09:29 PM   #28
nWinter
Rep

Just picked up my Depos today and a bunch of new tools to do this project. Did some coding the other week and wow was it so simple, shout out to Billfitz. I'm like 50% thru bimmertech MMI back up cam install and also my matte black kidney grills arrived. Man am i pumped for this weekend! I'll throw some more info up soon and maybe get a new thread going if other ppl have not covered these topics recently. Anyone know off hand the torque (foot pounds or Newton meters) to apply on lug reinstall?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2017, 10:59 AM   #29
atam1980
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30

Quote:
Just picked up my Depos today and a bunch of new tools to do this project. Did some coding the other week and wow was it so simple, shout out to Billfitz. I'm like 50% thru bimmertech MMI back up cam install and also my matte black kidney grills arrived. Man am i pumped for this weekend! I'll throw some more info up soon and maybe get a new thread going if other ppl have not covered these topics recently. Anyone know off hand the torque (foot pounds or Newton meters) to apply on lug reinstall?
103 ft -lbs. I have my wife stand on a 12 inch breaker bar while holding the dog.

Take off the wheels and fender liners when you're installing the headlights and you'll thank yourself later.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2017, 09:26 AM   #30
classyfast
Banned
Rep
Drives: e36m/e46m/E92 LCI 335/f30 335

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
I hated the halogens too, but no way do I pay $1700 to get LEDs. I did the highs, lows and fogs for less than $200.
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1377259
You're right, the price is substantial. Those lamps are a good find and pretty economical, however I really want to avoid coding at (almost) any cost. I know I could code if determined but do not want to mess with car's computer from a warranty stand point. Plus, the aftermarket headlight aesthetics look incredible.

I'm also planning on changing the fog lights out with these:

http://www.mteclightingusa.com/MTEC_...s_p/mt-471.htm
Why do you want to avoid coding? Makes no sense man, it doesn't interfere with any warranty anything and it's reversible. Most folks can do it remotely and it's pretty simple now. Nobody has ever permanently damaged anything every while coding.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2017, 10:20 AM   #31
nWinter
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atam1980 View Post
103 ft -lbs. I have my wife stand on a 12 inch breaker bar while holding the dog.

Take off the wheels and fender liners when you're installing the headlights and you'll thank yourself later.
Thanks for confirming...now I just need to buy a wife :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by classyfast View Post
Why do you want to avoid coding? Makes no sense man, it doesn't interfere with any warranty anything and it's reversible. Most folks can do it remotely and it's pretty simple now. Nobody has ever permanently damaged anything every while coding.
I was being overly cautious, now I know how easy it is.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 12:58 PM   #32
nWinter
Rep

The install is complete and damn what a pain it was. Even with everything out of the way, it still took over 6 hours from start to finish. Can't say that I am not pleased with how they turned out though. The car looks way more sporty and a huge improvement than before. I had to use the OEM turn signal bulbs in the DEPOs so the 'turn signal malfunction' wouldn't flash. Also, turned off the side markers always on. Looks better IMO. I did not adjust the cutoff beams on the headlights yet so that needs some tweaking. I'm going to change the headlight bulbs in the near future. Haven't decided to stay with H7's and a color temp to match the rings (about 5K) or explore an HID/LED relamp.

Before:

After:

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 01:05 PM   #33
nWinter
Rep

Having problems uploading, got this to work

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 10:51 AM   #34
nWinter
Rep

UPDATE

The USR headlights still work (knock on wood) and just recently I replaced the halogen bulbs w/ the LEDs in the link below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
I hated the halogens too, but no way do I pay $1700 to get LEDs. I did the highs, lows and fogs for less than $200.
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1377259
The LED bulbs work well but I still have to code off warm/cold checks. In order to get the bulbs to fit into the headlight socket, you will need an LED adapter retaining clip. Use this clip and swap out for LEDs before you install the headlight, otherwise you have to take the wheel off and get inside the wheelwell for enough hand space to install. There's two screws on both sides of the headlight socket which the clip secures into; loosen the screws, fasten the bulb, then re-tighten screws.

Retaining clip:
https://www.amazon.com/GZXY-Adapter-.../dp/B01HZ74Y5M
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 02:23 PM   #35
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

going to be installing mine tomorrow. plan to remove wheels and liners, even though i've watched several videos where the wheels were kept on, and the installer mainly worked from under the hood to remove and re-install.

Any last minute tips?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 07:45 PM   #36
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Well I installed my new headlights today. They were super inexpensive and I'm very pleased with no longer having halogen lights.

The hardest part was putting the bumper back on, mainly because I'm also sick and by that point in the process I was ready to be done .

I did not remove the tires, but a jack definitely helped.
Attached Images

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 1
FrankDK170.00
      12-05-2019, 10:43 AM   #37
F36GC_NYC
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EB 435GC xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridaorange View Post
Well I installed my new headlights today. They were super inexpensive and I'm very pleased with no longer having halogen lights.

The hardest part was putting the bumper back on, mainly because I'm also sick and by that point in the process I was ready to be done .

looks nice, link the item for anyone else interested
      12-12-2019, 07:07 PM   #38
jackr444
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: bmw 320d

Im not sure what lights i have. Just bought a 2016 320d sport does any1 know what lights are standard? daytime running are white but headlights are yellow
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2019, 05:47 PM   #39
cray101
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

Quote:

Looks nice. Which ones did you get? It's hard to tell, do they have a dotted LED look to them?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 08:12 AM   #40
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cray101 View Post
Looks nice. Which ones did you get? It's hard to tell, do they have a dotted LED look to them?
These are the smoked spyder headlights - I got at auction on ebay. I've installed Philips Diamond Vision H7's and H8's. Yes there is dotting, but they are WAY better than the horrendous halogens. With the low beams on at night they are much less dotted. I will post more pics soon. For $200 it was a great upgrade for my f30. The bulbs are pretty inexpensive too if you search around. They are super bright white just like LED.

I bought LED low beams too, but I'm concerned they will do damage to the projector bulbs, get too hot or be too bright.

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 09:37 AM   #41
John in VA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackr444 View Post
Im not sure what lights i have. Just bought a 2016 320d sport does any1 know what lights are standard? daytime running are white but headlights are yellow
Put your VIN into the decoder & see what options your car came with:
https://www.mdecoder.com/
2015 BMW 228i in EstorilBlau II Metallic / Terra Dakota Leather - 6-speed manual, M Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Lighting Package, Premium Package, Harman Kardon premium sound, Anti-theft alarm system, Blue Metallic Matt Accent Moldings, Aluminum Hexagon Interior Strips, Anthracite Headlining
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2019, 11:10 AM   #42
Profet
Rep
Drives: 2015 328D, 2015 x5

Quote:
Thanks for confirming...now I just need to buy a wife :P.
Off topic but pro tip. It’s cheaper to rent. The wife that is.......🤣
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 12:10 PM   #43
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
I bought LED low beams too, but I'm concerned they will do damage to the projector bulbs, get too hot or be too bright.
LEDs produce far less heat than incandescents. The heat is created in LEDs in the drive circuitry in the bulb base, which is dissipated by the bulb heatsink. The actual lighting element creates almost no heat, unlike an incandescent filament, which creates light by becoming very hot. BTW, Diamond Visions are halogen incandescent with a tinted envelope that imitates, but doesn't duplicate, a 5000-6000k LED color temperature, and has no more than half the lumens output of LED.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2019, 01:15 PM   #44
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Thank you Bill - installing the LED's now - it's daytime but already seem brighter.

Quote:
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 0