F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Best BMW speaker upgrade so far (new BimmerTech product)
Extreme Powerhouse

05-07-2018, 05:52 PM   #1
stxf30
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 335i MSport

Garage List
Best BMW speaker upgrade so far (new BimmerTech product)

I had the opportunity to participate in the BETA testing of BIMMERTECH’s new Alpha One speakers. What are they, let me explain. The Alpha One speaker set consists of (2) 8” under seat woofers, (3) 100mm midranges and (3) 25mm tweeters. These speakers will replace the factory under seat, door and dash speakers of your BMW. The fit and finish is absolutely amazing. Not only are these speakers aesthetically appealing, but the build quality and ease of installation is unreal. The design allows for larger magnets and voice coils than the factory speakers which creates a better sound. All of the speakers utilize OEM BMW connectors for ease of installation and install using the factory mounting points and hardware.

Sound Quality

Some of the most noted complaints with the OEM HiFi speakers are these: Muddy replication from the tweeters, Sibilance (exaggerated S’s), dull midrange and lack of bass. BIMMERTECH did an excellent job of R&D to ensure that all of the problems with the OEM speakers were addressed with the Alpha Ones. The bass is deeper and punchier, midrange replication is good and the tweeters…Wow! The tweeters are crisp and clear, but not harsh.

Testing

I tested the speakers with both the OEM HiFi amp and a JL Audio XD700/5v2. In both tests there was a drastic improvement in sound quality. With the JL amp, however, the ability to fine tune crossover points and individually adjust power to the components really made them shine. I would easily compare the Alpha One’s to some other High End name brands that I’ve owned in the past.

Overall

A high quality, precision engineered complete front stage upgrade. BIMMERTECH is a leader in aftermarket OEM integration and retrofits and they hit it right on the money with the Alpha Ones. The customer service and communication from the BIMMERTECH staff was awesome throughout the entire R&D (BETA) process. IMHO give these a shot and you will be impressed!
Attached Images

Last edited by stxf30; 05-08-2018 at 07:59 AM.. Reason: More pics
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 07:23 PM   #2
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 / AH3

What other BMW Speaker Upgrades did you test in your car to call this the Best BMW Speaker Upgrade So Far?

How did it compare to the other Speaker Upgrades that you state were not as good and what were the weaknesses of the other Upgrades?
Appreciate 3
ronanz1819.50
MONSTAR517.00
      05-07-2018, 07:33 PM   #3
MONSTAR
#gotboost
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

this sounds like an ad

2013 F30 328i (12/2015 - 09/2020) SOLD!
Appreciate 1
IK6SPEED4487.00
      05-07-2018, 07:47 PM   #4
stxf30
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by IK6SPEED View Post
What other BMW Speaker Upgrades did you test in your car to call this the Best BMW Speaker Upgrade So Far?

How did it compare to the other Speaker Upgrades that you state were not as good and what were the weaknesses of the other Upgrades?
Quote:

I think the title may have been taken out of context. It's the best upgrade so far for me. I didn't state that any other brands were not as good. I compared the faults of the OEM HiFi system to this set of speakers and gave my review.
      05-07-2018, 07:50 PM   #5
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stxf30 View Post
I think the title may have been taken out of context. It's the best upgrade so far for me. I didn't state that any other brands were not as good. I compared the faults of the OEM HiFi system to this set of speakers and gave my review.
Doesn’t say “FOR ME”. Suggest you edit.

And of course legit reviews always disclose if they were given product at a discount/free for their review.

If Beta, I doubt you paid full MSRP.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2018, 08:04 PM   #6
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Just from what I have read, it appears that BavSound and Bimmertech have similar product offerings for upgrading BMW sound systems. It would be great if someone with audio expertise could get their hands on both and do a comprehensive review of them against each other. It's tough to sift through product marketing information to figure out pros and cons.
Appreciate 2
stxf3094.00
      05-07-2018, 10:31 PM   #7
N26Ghost
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i M Sport

Exactly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Just from what I have read, it appears that BavSound and Bimmertech have similar product offerings for upgrading BMW sound systems. It would be great if someone with audio expertise could get their hands on both and do a comprehensive review of them against each other. It's tough to sift through product marketing information to figure out pros and cons.
I humbly volunteer. BAVSOUND and MEN@BimmerTech I own a 2014 BMW 328i M Sport with the Harman Kardon Hifi. I've been reading reviews for both of your products for months and much to my own dismay (and that of others) no one has taken the time to do a direct comparison between both of your offerings and sharing their experience, from installation to critical listening and overall improvement over the factory drivers/amplifiers.

If you have any interest in finding out whose solution offers the better value, experience and quality, I'd be willing to document the process on this forum and via YouTube.

I just started a channel where I'll be reviewing strictly factory audio systems, and in some instances, wholistic upgrades to factory audio systems.

I mean, the only reason why you might shy away from such a comparison would be if you were concerned that your competitor may emerge victorious...
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2018, 07:43 AM   #8
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
The amp is identical. The speakers are different and I believe the Bimmertech speakers are less than half the cost of the Bavsound option but I have not really dug into the exact specs because I am not currently in the market.
Appreciate 1
stxf3094.00
      05-10-2018, 11:18 AM   #9
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
I have installed Bavsound into 4 different cars and thoroughly enjoyed the upgrade, which was SIGNIFICANT over the HK systems that were there before. The biggest change (also makes sense considering number of speakers alone) was the X5.. just amazing.

All of that said, I will be installing and reviewing the Bimmertech Alpha One setup in my F32 within the next couple of weeks and cannot wait!!

The challenge will be in the review honestly.. my camera will *NOT* do the change justice because of the mic in the camera itself, so much of it comes down to the human ear. I do know that moving from my upgraded E46 to my (stock HK speaker) F32 was a dramatic sound quality downgrade, and just sounds muddy. The previous owner installed *ludicrous* under-seat subs and huge amp upgrade (without anything else *facepalm*) that I will be either modifying or tearing out entirely as I do the other upgrade. I will figure that out once I am into those speakers directly, and everything else is stock.

I will post my review here on the forums, but without expensive measuring mics and gear, its going to come down to opinion and ear of the listener. I cannot WAIT though for this upgrade.. the mids and tweaters are so so so so muddy by comparison to my previous car and the other cars in the garage.
'Lillith' F87 M2 Competition Build Thread
Appreciate 2
stxf3094.00
Bestia64.50
      05-10-2018, 11:37 AM   #10
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW DIY Guy View Post
I have installed Bavsound into 4 different cars and thoroughly enjoyed the upgrade, which was SIGNIFICANT over the HK systems that were there before. The biggest change (also makes sense considering number of speakers alone) was the X5.. just amazing.

All of that said, I will be installing and reviewing the Bimmertech Alpha One setup in my F32 within the next couple of weeks and cannot wait!!

The challenge will be in the review honestly.. my camera will *NOT* do the change justice because of the mic in the camera itself, so much of it comes down to the human ear. I do know that moving from my upgraded E46 to my (stock HK speaker) F32 was a dramatic sound quality downgrade, and just sounds muddy. The previous owner installed *ludicrous* under-seat subs and huge amp upgrade (without anything else *facepalm*) that I will be either modifying or tearing out entirely as I do the other upgrade. I will figure that out once I am into those speakers directly, and everything else is stock.

I will post my review here on the forums, but without expensive measuring mics and gear, its going to come down to opinion and ear of the listener. I cannot WAIT though for this upgrade.. the mids and tweaters are so so so so muddy by comparison to my previous car and the other cars in the garage.
Would be very interested to hear your thoughts vs Bavsound. The Bimmertech is much less money.
Appreciate 2
stxf3094.00
      05-10-2018, 11:46 AM   #11
stxf30
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I look forward to your review. I'm confident you will enjoy Bimmertech's Alpha Ones.
      05-10-2018, 12:17 PM   #12
dr.roro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G01 X3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Would be very interested to hear your thoughts vs Bavsound. The Bimmertech is much less money.
Actually, the Bimmertech (all speakers plus under seat woofers) comes out to slightly more than the Bavsound package... at least when I priced it out for the F32 HK upgrade.

Looking forward to BMW DIY GUY, although it doesn’t sound like he actually has any direct experience with the F3x Bavsound system.
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2018, 12:21 PM   #13
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.roro View Post
Actually, the Bimmertech (all speakers plus under seat woofers) comes out to slightly more than the Bavsound package... at least when I priced it out for the F32 HK upgrade.

Looking forward to BMW DIY GUY, although it doesn’t sound like he actually has any direct experience with the F3x Bavsound system.
Correct.. I havent installed the F32 system from Bavsound, but have comparison cars in the garage, E46, E53 and E90 with their speakers. Unless Bav has significantly changed their speakers in the last 18 months, I suspect they would be the same speakers as what I have available.

Just being clear on making comparisons.. I hope to the Alpha One system installed in maybe two weeks.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 12:23 PM   #14
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Looking forward to BMW DIY GUY, although it doesn't sound like he actually has any direct experience with the F3x Bavsound system.
Oh ok. Maybe I misread the info on the site. I thought I saw all speakers and underseats for under $500. Bavsound is typically around a grand to do all the speakers.

Amp I am not including, those #s purely to swap speakers throughout.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 01:36 PM   #15
dr.roro
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 G01 X3

Garage List
Quote:
Oh ok. Maybe I misread the info on the site. I thought I saw all speakers and underseats for under $500. Bavsound is typically around a grand to do all the speakers.

You probably saw the per speaker price. When I priced it out it was ~1050 for the speakers and another $550 for the under seat “subs”.

In comparison, Bavsound is $900 for the speakers and $600 for the Ghost subs.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 01:39 PM   #16
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

You probably saw the per speaker price. When I priced it out it was ~1050 for the speakers and another $550 for the under seat "subs".

In comparison, Bavsound is $900 for the speakers and $600 for the Ghost subs.
Ok that makes much more sense. I did Bavsound throughout, Bimmertech 86DSP amp then an 8" Focal w JL amp in the trunk.

Was thinking Bimmertech might be a good budget option for GF car but it seems not.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 01:44 PM   #17
Tomo366
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328D

Garage List
2014 BMW 328D  [0.00]
Quote:

All 7 Alpha One speakers plus the under seat woofers are $1151 I am getting mine next week I had originally ordered the Bav Sound but changed my mind
So if you Ordered Bav Sound Phase one you pay $547 the Equivilent in Alpha One is $588 so there is little difference in price....
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 02:08 PM   #18
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Correct.. I havent installed the F32 system from Bavsound, but have comparison cars in the garage, E46, E53 and E90 with their speakers. Unless Bav has significantly changed their speakers in the last 18 months, I suspect they would be the same speakers as what I have available.

Just being clear on making comparisons.. I hope to the Alpha One system installed in maybe two weeks.

Different cars have different acoustic differences. It’s still not apples to apples.

And BavSound upgraded their underseat woofers this year. Perhaps they also upgraded other parts. Don’t know.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 02:22 PM   #19
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Different cars have different acoustic differences. It’s still not apples to apples.

And BavSound upgraded their underseat woofers this year. Perhaps they also upgraded other parts. Don’t know.
I had the v1 ghosts in my car then moved them to dad's car and got v2 for me. They are nicer def an upgrade. Would I do a rip and replace for v1? Probably not. But I needed another set so I kept the better ones.
Appreciate 1
IK6SPEED4487.00
      05-10-2018, 02:53 PM   #20
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:

Oh I completely agree.. upgrades into a E46 M3 cabrio, E46 330 coupe, E90 M3, and E53 X5 so far.. all significantly different in sound quality and environment for sure. Just saying they were all better for it.. the X5 is a bloody cathedral to music now, its amazing!
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 03:01 PM   #21
GatorF30
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: EBII F30

Oh good, because the BavSound ones are junk.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2018, 03:15 PM   #22
IK6SPEED
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorF30 View Post
Oh good, because the BavSound ones are junk.
Interesting.

Considering BavSound offers a 100 day return policy if unsatisifed, seems they would not be in business any longer if your post is to be believed

Does Bimmertech offer a 100 day full refund?
Appreciate 1