F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Tracking / Racing / Autocrossing > Race prep 335i
GetBMWParts

09-30-2019, 07:24 AM   #111
Brady154
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by EstorilMSport View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady154 View Post
I've been tracking my car and realized I'm getting fuel starvation at higher boost levels, so I thought it might be the LPFP or fuel filter. So I bought a new LPFP, but I'm still having the issue. I'm curious what, if any, fuel pump upgrades y'all have done. I'm not sure if I need to upgrade the LPFP or the HPFP. I'd love to upgrade both, but they are very expensive.
What tune/fuel are you running? I run bootmod3 stage 2 ots 93 when I track the car and no issues at all. When I drag race I have a custom E30 tune and have run into issues where my hpfp would crash (felt like a misfire) if I didn't get the ethanol mix right (too much E85). I can't get E85 near Sebring (where I track my car) so I just run the 93 tune and honestly it's plenty of power for my skill level and have plenty of fun.

The guys that run big boost, speed tech or PS2 turbos with full E85 on N55's usually have upgraded LPFP (Bmp4 module needed to run them), upgraded hpfp to XDI or port injection which requires a separate controller (aic split second or JB4). You are in it for thousands at this point which is why I haven't pulled the trigger on anything myself.
I'm running JB4 on map5 (absolute target 11-17 psi based on conditions) with 93 pump fuel.
Appreciate 1
      09-30-2019, 11:16 AM   #112
EstorilMSport
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I've been tracking my car and realized I'm getting fuel starvation at higher boost levels, so I thought it might be the LPFP or fuel filter. So I bought a new LPFP, but I'm still having the issue. I'm curious what, if any, fuel pump upgrades y'all have done. I'm not sure if I need to upgrade the LPFP or the HPFP. I'd love to upgrade both, but they are very expensive.
What tune/fuel are you running? I run bootmod3 stage 2 ots 93 when I track the car and no issues at all. When I drag race I have a custom E30 tune and have run into issues where my hpfp would crash (felt like a misfire) if I didn't get the ethanol mix right (too much E85). I can't get E85 near Sebring (where I track my car) so I just run the 93 tune and honestly it's plenty of power for my skill level and have plenty of fun.

The guys that run big boost, speed tech or PS2 turbos with full E85 on N55's usually have upgraded LPFP (Bmp4 module needed to run them), upgraded hpfp to XDI or port injection which requires a separate controller (aic split second or JB4). You are in it for thousands at this point which is why I haven't pulled the trigger on anything myself.
I'm running JB4 on map5 (absolute target 11-17 psi based on conditions) with 93 pump fuel.
I'd consider running a flash tune (mhd or bootmod3). Lots of threads about pros/cons of piggyback vs. flash in the N55 Turbo Mod section of the forum https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ght=JB4+vs+BM3
2014 335i M Sport: bootmod3 Stg 2 E30 Custom, AA CP, CSF FMIC, GFB DV , VRSF catless DP, aFe stage 2 intake, KW Clubsport coilovers, MP LSD, aFe sway bars, F80 LCAs, monoball thrust arms, Delrin rear subframe bushings, xHP Stage 3.
IG: German_car_connection
Appreciate 2
      10-02-2019, 04:18 PM   #113
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
I'm looking into options for a harness and there are none that do not require a harness bar or half cage which lose the backseat and I still daily my F30 so not a good option. Schroth makes one for the E90 and supposedly have one under development for the F30. I sent them an email am waiting to hear back...
Yup, a harness is a must to keep you planted and more relaxed at the wheel. Even after running race seats and harnesses for a while now, I still sometimes catch myself planting my left foot hard on the dead pedal to brace myself unnecessarily...tough habit for me to break, it seems!

I'm planning to install a rear half cage (I don't use my rear seats anymore), so I'll be passing along my Brey-Krause bolt-in harness bar to someone... : )

Quote:
Studio RSR supposedly makes a bolt in roll bar that might work. Requires some modification to the seat bolsters, but I believe the back seat is still usable. I don't see the F30 listed on their page now, but I was told they make one to fit it.
https://studiorsr.com/pages/bmw-tuning
Not sure why people bother leaving the rear seats in when installing a half cage...I guess just for aesthetics, as the rear seats are completely unfit for human occupants with a cage back there. For someone who wants to retain relatively easy use of the rear seats, better to go with a harness bar, which bolts in and out fairly quickly.
      10-03-2019, 09:11 AM   #114
lens
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Run BM3 or MHD, your fuel starvation issues isn't actually fuel starvation, but rather your fuel pump crashing as JB4 is trying to take more fuel to make up for the high boost as it cannot control timing.

Normally if you run BM3 or MHD, you'll have much smoother power delivery and if your octane is crap, it'll pull timing slightly to make sure you won't have knock.

I run OTS map on the track and it runs great when you have the octane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC View Post
Yup, a harness is a must to keep you planted and more relaxed at the wheel. Even after running race seats and harnesses for a while now, I still sometimes catch myself planting my left foot hard on the dead pedal to brace myself unnecessarily...tough habit for me to break, it seems!

I'm planning to install a rear half cage (I don't use my rear seats anymore), so I'll be passing along my Brey-Krause bolt-in harness bar to someone... : )

Not sure why people bother leaving the rear seats in when installing a half cage...I guess just for aesthetics, as the rear seats are completely unfit for human occupants with a cage back there. For someone who wants to retain relatively easy use of the rear seats, better to go with a harness bar, which bolts in and out fairly quickly.
Yeah, I was planning on swapping in racing seats in the front and installing a half cage for the harnesses but I do use my rear seats and plan to having a kid in the next couple years so I stuck to getting a harness bar instead.

Do you mind posting a pic of your harness bar? I'm interested in getting one.
      10-03-2019, 09:34 AM   #115
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaungo View Post
Do you mind posting a pic of your harness bar? I'm interested in getting one.

lens2066.50
Logicoeur988.00
      10-05-2019, 07:06 PM   #116
Brady154
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Run BM3 or MHD, your fuel starvation issues isn't actually fuel starvation, but rather your fuel pump crashing as JB4 is trying to take more fuel to make up for the high boost as it cannot control timing.

Normally if you run BM3 or MHD, you'll have much smoother power delivery and if your octane is crap, it'll pull timing slightly to make sure you won't have knock.

I run OTS map on the track and it runs great when you have the octane.

Interesting. I've been having my doubts that it's actually fuel starvation. I'd like to keep the JB4 as a water meth controller though. I guess I could just run a zero map on the JB4. Do you think that'd work? Any suggestions on which is better for straight track use—BM3 or MHD? I'm planning to put at Pure stage 2 turbo on later.
Appreciate 1
      10-05-2019, 07:11 PM   #117
lens
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Interesting. I've been having my doubts that it's actually fuel starvation. I'd like to keep the JB4 as a water meth controller though. I guess I could just run a zero map on the JB4. Do you think that'd work? Any suggestions on which is better for straight track use—BM3 or MHD? I'm planning to put at Pure stage 2 turbo on later.
Since you have a EWG, I would recommend you get BM3, they got great tuners and OTS maps for EWG, if you had PWG like I do, I would've recommended you go MHD as they seemed to have better PWG tuners and OTS maps.

You could use JB4 as a meth controller no problems.

I personally use BM3 for the track and it runs great, I was a PWG beta tester and OTS guinea pig so I'm really confident you'll have no problems with it.
      10-05-2019, 07:12 PM   #118
Brady154
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Since you have a EWG, I would recommend you get BM3, they got great tuners and OTS maps for EWG, if you had PWG like I do, I would've recommended you go MHD as they seemed to have better PWG tuners and OTS maps.

You could use JB4 as a meth controller no problems.

I personally use BM3 for the track and it runs great, I was a PWG beta tester and OTS guinea pig so I'm really confident you'll have no problems with it.
Awesome. I really appreciate the input.
Appreciate 1
      10-06-2019, 01:06 AM   #119
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97supratt View Post
Love this pic of your car. I actually saved it hahaha. Which recaros you run?
Thanks! I always look through the track photographer site to see how the photos turn out. Usually they're all pretty meh... but this one from Watkins Glen really stood out.

I'm running a pair of Recaro Profi SPG XLs. I'm 6'3", 200#, and they fit me very well. with Brey-Krause mounts, the seat ergonomics are outstanding; I have a ton of clearance for my helmet.

To answer your original questions, I'm running 265/35 RE-71R tires on 18x9.5 Apex ARC-8 wheels and H&R sway bars. The rear sway is fixed, and the front has two adjustment holes; I'm running the stiffer of the two settings. I've been very happy with them. The F30 got a lot of criticism for being too soft, but once the suspension is sorted out, the car is an absolute blast to track. The way I have it set up, the balance is exceptional, and it's incredibly sure-footed and stable.

If you're curious about my other mods, they're all listed here.
I've got H&R sway bars on my F30 335. They are one of the heaviest sets of bars available but they are perfect. So many guys shy away from sway bars on this platform. They are buried so the labor cost is high to get to them. But it's well worth it. It's one of the first mods that I did.
Tried to attach photo to show stock versus H&R bar but this Bimmerpost app has had problems attaching photos recently
Appreciate 1
      10-06-2019, 01:18 PM   #120
lens
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
I've got H&R sway bars on my F30 335. They are one of the heaviest sets of bars available but they are perfect. So many guys shy away from sway bars on this platform. They are buried so the labor cost is high to get to them. But it's well worth it. It's one of the first mods that I did.
Tried to attach photo to show stock versus H&R bar but this Bimmerpost app has had problems attaching photos recently
Yeah, my next thing to do is to install Hotchkis sway bars, labour is ridiculous expensive for xDrive, but I was planning on saving up a bit more money to get the oil pan gasket changed and solid subframe bushings installed at the same time while the subframe is down.
      10-12-2019, 08:47 AM   #121
gfc47
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Comp., 2020 M2 Comp

Anyone using Solo-Werks1 coil over for track..Are Ohlins that much better?
Appreciate 1
      10-12-2019, 08:46 PM   #122
lens
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfc47 View Post
Anyone using Solo-Werks1 coil over for track..Are Ohlins that much better?

Ohlins is the best suspension coilovers you can get. Period.

They're used in all Koenigsegg hypercars.
      10-23-2019, 12:09 PM   #123
Brady154
Private
Rep

Quote:
So, I upgraded to a Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, and that fixed the problem. It pulled strong all the way down the straights, and I dropped 2 seconds off my lap times.

Does anyone know of a company who makes a full roll cage for the F30? RSR makes the roll bar, but that is all I can find.
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2019, 02:54 PM   #124
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So, I upgraded to a Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, and that fixed the problem. It pulled strong all the way down the straights, and I dropped 2 seconds off my lap times.

Does anyone know of a company who makes a full roll cage for the F30? RSR makes the roll bar, but that is all I can find.
That's great news!

Autopower makes a full roll cage for the F80, which should be the same as the F30. I'm planning to go with their rear cage ('Race Roll Bar'), but with some extra floor/chassis reinforcement to mitigate the risk of the feet punching through in the event of a roll over. You can pay 3-4x more for a fancy roll bar, but all of them have the same single, glaring weakness... a relatively small plate at the feet of the upright hoop, which could punch right through an unreinforced floor.
      10-25-2019, 05:36 PM   #125
Brady154
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

That's great news!

Autopower makes a full roll cage for the F80, which should be the same as the F30. I'm planning to go with their rear cage ('Race Roll Bar'), but with some extra floor/chassis reinforcement to mitigate the risk of the feet punching through in the event of a roll over. You can pay 3-4x more for a fancy roll bar, but all of them have the same single, glaring weakness... a relatively small plate at the feet of the upright hoop, which could punch right through an unreinforced floor.
I called Autopower, but we weren't sure if the F80 was the same or not. I just ordered the bolt-in 4 point from RSR. They offered me a nice little discount that made it hard to pass up.
Appreciate 2
DVC558.00
      11-15-2019, 06:03 PM   #126
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Bronze Metallic 335i

What spring rates is everyone running and if you had to do it again what would you run? Don't want too stiff for street use so I'm thinking 8k front and 14k rear?
      11-18-2019, 10:09 AM   #127
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52172 View Post
What spring rates is everyone running and if you had to do it again what would you run? Don't want too stiff for street use so I'm thinking 8k front and 14k rear?
My Ohlins came with 6kg 8" front springs, which I swapped for Swift 8kg 7" springs.... I've found this combo to be perfect for the F30; still compliant enough for the street, but very well balanced on track.
With 6kg front springs, the car was very prone to over steer.
      11-19-2019, 09:44 AM   #128
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52172 View Post
My Ohlins came with 6kg 8" front springs, which I swapped for Swift 8kg 7" springs.... I've found this combo to be perfect for the F30; still compliant enough for the street, but very well balanced on track.
With 6kg front springs, the car was very prone to over steer.
Do you have an lsd too?
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2019, 07:49 AM   #129
Brady154
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

My fueling issue returned, so I guess the stage 2 LPFP did not fix it. I ordered the XDI HPFP.
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2019, 09:03 AM   #130
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post
Do you have an lsd too?
Yes, I got the M Perf LSD before getting the Ohlins. (Pretty much the instant the released them)
      11-26-2019, 09:04 AM   #131
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
My fueling issue returned, so I guess the stage 2 LPFP did not fix it. I ordered the XDI HPFP.
That sucks.... the XDI is quite an investment, but hopefully it will be a final fix.
      11-28-2019, 09:49 PM   #132
Brady154
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
That sucks.... the XDI is quite an investment, but hopefully it will be a final fix.
Yes, now I need to decide which flash to get: BM3 or MHD. Looking for what will be most compatible with my JB4, since it will still be installed and controlling my WMI. Seems like MHD is most compatible, but I'd have to buy an Android device to use MHD. I'll probably go with Bootmod3.
Appreciate 1