F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Clonk turning wheel right low speed over a bump
proTUNING Freaks

10-10-2020, 02:45 AM   #1
Pbdeed
Private
Rep
Drives: M240i

Clonk turning wheel right low speed over a bump

Recently I had Bilstein B14 installed in my car. After installing it I didnīt notice any strange noise.

After two weeks, I went to a track day and returning home I started to hear a clonk noise when I turned the wheel to the right (almost maximum turning). For reproducing the noise I had to turn left the steering like half of the travel and then turning right again. I could reproduce it even stopped.

Then, driving with the car in the city, I realized that when the clonck happened, I feel something in the brake pedal and if I brake while turning the wheel, it didnt sound (at least that was I remember). After pressing the brake hard several times, it seemed that the sound dissapeared.

But the thing is that now I am not able to reproduce it stopped or driving in the city EXCEPT when, at a low speed, I turn right wheel (almost maximum turning, like when I heard it first time) and I go over a bump.

Unfortunately for exiting my parking place I have to turn left and then turn right in an irregular floor so I hear it every day and its a bit annoying.

Not always I am able to reproduce it but I found a pattern when I could. I have to almost full turn left, then full turn right and then forward or reverse, slow with a bump, it appeared. I hear it from the front left side of the car.

But for example, if I hear the clonk going reverse, with same steering input, going forward over the same bump doesnt reproduce the noise. And trying to going reverse again neither.

I had to, for example, going reverse (clonk), same input, going forward (nothing). Stop, turn left, turn right, going reverse (clonk).

So it seems that something has to be "reset" to a position.

I went to the garage which installed B14 and they checked joints, silenblocks, suspension mount, retorqued bolts, etc. They say they didnt find any loose part but I still hear the clonk.

Other than that the car is OK and normal driving I donīt hear anything

I wonder if it could be "brake pads" movement in the calliper. O something related with steering rack (I hope the former)

Any advice?

Thank you
Appreciate 0