F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Leasing
ARMA SPEED

01-10-2019, 12:46 PM   #1
Hanchurch
Captain
Rep
Drives: tesla model 3 performance

Leasing

Do you, would you? Starting to think about what to get next and weighing the odds what are your thoughts guys?
Past - Mini Cooper S 7 5 door, BMW 120d m sport, Saab 9-3 2.8 V6 turbo, Mazda RX8 231, Mini Cooper S
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 01:22 PM   #2
NotGotABimmer23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340i touring - incoming

I'm very tempted next time. With leasing its all about being flexible though, if you want a specific car with a specific list of options it's not going to be for you.

Cracking deals available though if you are flexible and move quickly. Santander offer some crackers, often on volvos, quite fancy an xc60.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 01:38 PM   #3
N-W
oOOo
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M140i

As above, it's never floated my boat purely on the basis of the options I've wanted to spec on cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 01:48 PM   #4
thescouselander
Captain
Rep
Drives: G20 330i

Yeah, I would lease - as mentioned some of the deals can be ridiculously good. Mrs thescouselander leases a mid spec Seat Leon for only £130 a month with 6 months up front. It's not a bad car at all and at £5.5k to drive round in a new motor for 3 years you really can't argue with it.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 02:01 PM   #5
335d Rocco
Major
England
Rep
Drives: G01 BMW X3 30d M Sport Plus

Garage List
Leasing seems to have got more expensive over the last 18-24 months, used to be some great deals about, sub £200 PM golf Rs were one of the most popular, even a Passat for £120 pm, prices nothing like that now
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 02:05 PM   #6
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Better on cars with set options levels imho.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 04:26 PM   #7
un1eash
Captain
Rep
Drives: M235i

Leasing has definitely been getting more expensive over the last year, I go with what ever is the cheapest monthly. PCH leasing isn't as flexible as PCP, your tied into the lease for the whole term. I've had 3 leases now, current Nissan Qashqai Tekna is £220 on a 3+35.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 04:28 PM   #8
NotGotABimmer23
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 340i touring - incoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJawa View Post
Better on cars with set options levels imho.
Yeah agreed, something that doesbt have a list of "must have" options as you gain no residual benefit.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 03:50 AM   #9
SilverGrey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport

I lease my car. It's the 1st time I've done it, and I'd do it again.

I ordered the car as a factory build and it was delivered to my door (dealer was some 100 miles away) on the back of small transporter with delivery miles. It was about 8 weeks from order to delivery.

The handover was very professional - the guy spent about an hour going through the vehicle inspection, paperwork and controls. Not just the "here's the key".

Any options have zero residual value so you pay for them in full, so I didn't go overboard with them.

Before ordering the car, I visited a Mercedes dealer. He said the cars are sold cheaper to lease companies than franchise dealers so the lease brokers will always be able to offer better prices.

Previous BMW's:
F36 420i Gran Coupe M Sport; Z4 Coupe 3.0si M Sport; E46 325i Sport coupe;
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 04:03 AM   #10
Lynxi2k
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 335d

Looking at Leasing for the next car as Mrs wants a SUV. Looked at Merc GLC and at one point the Urban edition was £350 per month and cheapest PCP £374. As Merc uses packs rather than options list it has everything you would need. Includes Tax in that cost too, and you can bolt on Maintenance which includes unlimited tyres, can be very cheap motoring.

I guy I work with has a 420i M-sport Coupe with Maintenance for £340 per month and nothing down.

You don't have the flexibility as above though, and the GLC deals seem to have gone, I guess due to the new model coming out.

Still can't decide between keeping the 335d or going lease. That's another story though...
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 04:31 AM   #11
Alice Coupe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F36 430dX M Sport

The thing that puts me off leasing is how easily it is to complete one lease and seamlessly get in to the next new car. Timing must be critical for vehicle delivery?

Can anyone who leases clarify how that transition works in practice?
Appreciate 1
Lynxi2k268.00
      01-11-2019, 05:07 AM   #12
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxi2k View Post
Looking at Leasing for the next car as Mrs wants a SUV. Looked at Merc GLC and at one point the Urban edition was £350 per month and cheapest PCP £374. As Merc uses packs rather than options list it has everything you would need. Includes Tax in that cost too, and you can bolt on Maintenance which includes unlimited tyres, can be very cheap motoring.

I guy I work with has a 420i M-sport Coupe with Maintenance for £340 per month and nothing down.

You don't have the flexibility as above though, and the GLC deals seem to have gone, I guess due to the new model coming out.

Still can't decide between keeping the 335d or going lease. That's another story though...
Have you YouTube "GLC Crabbing"?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 05:26 AM   #13
SilverGrey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice Coupe View Post
The thing that puts me off leasing is how easily it is to complete one lease and seamlessly get in to the next new car. Timing must be critical for vehicle delivery?

my lease company said they will contact me 6 months before my current lease ends.

My friend recently swapped and it was painless enough. You're right though, it's all about timing.

Previous BMW's:
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 05:31 AM   #14
doncarlyon
Captain
Rep
Drives: Megane RS 300 Trophy

Mine is a lease. First lease car and it was fine... easy to sort out.

However I did have a nightmare with an Audi order via Multileasing so would avoid those rip off merchants... financial ombudsman here i come.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 05:34 AM   #15
SilverGrey
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doncarlyon View Post
Mine is a lease. First lease car and it was fine... easy to sort out.

However I did have a nightmare with an Audi order via Multileasing so would avoid those rip off merchants... financial ombudsman here i come.
I used Fleetprices.co.uk - very professional and came recommend to me by a friend.

Previous BMW's:
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 06:24 AM   #16
ashenfie
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 Auto 320d

I suspect the these schemes will be the PPI of the future. Every thing right now is great, but...

1) If you enter into an agreement you find it hard to exit early. You will under the SGA be able to exit, but you basically have to pay up all the hire element of the deal. So you loose out if you can't afford the car anymore or start a family.

2) if interest rates go up, you have no deposit and next time around you can't afford on new like for like deal.

Have said that 80% new car are purchased this way and if you sure you situation is not about to change then it's an option.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 06:36 AM   #17
un1eash
Captain
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:

As above I get reminders when my current lease has 6 months to go, I can then start looking for my next lease and get it ordered with a set delivery date in mind, most dealers will hold a car for a few weeks/months unless its a register before date offer.
There's always a problem of delays, I ordered a VRS 245 black edition in november for a march delivery, it got to march and no delivery dates so decided to cancel and got an in stock car.

Come delivery I like to arrange pickup one day and delivery the next,
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 06:58 AM   #18
Lynxi2k
First Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitster View Post
I have now...

Not great, but seems to only effect full lock on a cold tyres in cold weather, seems to be solved by all-weather or winter tyres. Think MB even offer all-weather replacements due to known fault cause by diff placement on the axle on a RHD(I assume the weight is normally balanced by the driver and steering?).

Still, not what you expect from a £30k plus, but with unlimited tyres on a maintenance pack the issue won't hit the pocket(assuming they actually replace them).
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 06:59 AM   #19
Lynxi2k
First Lieutenant
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashenfie View Post
I suspect the these schemes will be the PPI of the future. Every thing right now is great, but...

1) If you enter into an agreement you find it hard to exit early. You will under the SGA be able to exit, but you basically have to pay up all the hire element of the deal. So you loose out if you can't afford the car anymore or start a family.

2) if interest rates go up, you have no deposit and next time around you can't afford on new like for like deal.

Have said that 80% new car are purchased this way and if you sure you situation is not about to change then it's an option.
No difference to any finance agreement for a car, as you quite rightly point out.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 08:22 AM   #20
kitster
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynxi2k View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitster View Post
I have now...

Not great, but seems to only effect full lock on a cold tyres in cold weather, seems to be solved by all-weather or winter tyres. Think MB even offer all-weather replacements due to known fault cause by diff placement on the axle on a RHD(I assume the weight is normally balanced by the driver and steering?).

Still, not what you expect from a £30k plus, but with unlimited tyres on a maintenance pack the issue won't hit the pocket(assuming they actually replace them).
There is a webpage dedicated to this issue. Crabbing still occurs on the replacement tyres and dealers now asking buyers to sign a waiver acknowledging the they understand that crabbing is a known/accepted. I would not be signing that!
Appreciate 1
Quantox308.50
      01-11-2019, 10:14 AM   #21
335d Rocco
Major
England
Rep
Drives: G01 BMW X3 30d M Sport Plus

Garage List
Quote:

I know with VWFS that they will extend your current lease until your new lease turns up if you’re staying within the VW brand
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2019, 11:13 AM   #22
4WDriver
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31/F-Type 3.0

Quote:

I'm tight so when I discovered leasing was cheaper than PCP and knowing I'd very likely return the car at the end for another I started leasing. I am a skeptic and never assumed GMFV on a PCP would be beaten.

Startiing with your question, if you keep with the same finance house they will generally very readily extend your lease if a new car is inbound. I actually extended an Audi lease for 2 months waiting for my 335 with no issues.

Returning the car was another concern of mine but they are realistic about condition and have charged less for kerbed wheels and bumper scuffs than it would have cost me to have repaired.

Returning early isn't an issue if your 6 series comes available early. Generally you pay 50% of the remaining lease payments LESS the VAT. So if you lease for £400pcm then it's only £160 per month early to hand it back. Doing the real maths and seeing a service and 2 tyres on the horizon can make a 2 month early return very atractive!

The only issue I have had is mileage. On my last car I moved offices almost as soon as I'd signed a 2 year 15,000 mile a year deal. I handed it back with under 24k. Far better to underestimate your miles but check excess miles charge. BMW (Network Leasing) want 26.5p +VAT per mile for my 335.

You also are legally obliged to be offered to buy the car at the end of the lease should you so wish, you just have to ask the price. Sometimes as they don't make an offer unless you ask. So all in all like a PCP only cheaper.

I've used several leasing brokers and the only one I have had problems with was Select Car leasing in Reading. From beginning to end they were awful with dire communication. I ended up contacting the finance Co direct to hand the car back as Select just went silent on me. However one customer does not make a statistic and others on this forum haven't had trouble with them. Bit like dealers I suppose.
Appreciate 1