F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 335d cabin vibration
ARMA SPEED

01-05-2020, 06:22 AM   #1
Richie35d
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

335d cabin vibration

Hi have recently bought a 335d f31 I've noticed in idle I feel small vibration inside car , it doesn't get any worse or any better weather the car is hot or cold , it doesn't idle rough ,pretty smooth actually
Had it in getting serviced and ask mechanics to have look , he said there is a small bit but quiet normal on 35d . Thoughts ?? Should I feel zero vibrations ? Or is it a characteristic of 35d ??
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 04:38 PM   #2
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Is it a physical vibration or an audible one ?

The engine covers and air intakes have been known to vibrate (cover), or even to not be interconnected properly (where the air intake pipe joins the back of the air inlet behind the front grille).

Apart from that, even though straight-6 engines are usually inherently well balanced these diesel engines are high compression which can cause some vibration.
Current : F31 330sD, DMS remap, XHPflashtune, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway Motorsports top mounts, SuperPro poly bushes, Quaife LSD, Stoptech Trophy front BBK / MSport rear discs and calipers, Pagid RSL1 pads all round, H&R/Eibach ARBs, Michelin P4S.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 04:42 PM   #3
Richie35d
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Is it a physical vibration or an audible one ?

The engine covers and air intakes have been known to vibrate (cover), or even to not be interconnected properly (where the air intake pipe joins the back of the air inlet behind the front grille).

Apart from that, even though straight-6 engines are usually inherently well balanced these diesel engines are high compression which can cause some vibration.
Thanks for reply , it's a physical vibration, it's not earth shattering or anything but compared to my diesel Passat it's more noticeable , funny enough I did have a look at the inlet pipe today and even though it clipped in probably there is a lot of movement on it
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 06:47 AM   #4
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

The air inlet connection can benefit from a few turns of insulating tape on top of the OEM foam tape - this increases the overall diameter and helps the two components mate more sunugly to reduce vibration.
Current : F31 330sD, DMS remap, XHPflashtune, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway Motorsports top mounts, SuperPro poly bushes, Quaife LSD, Stoptech Trophy front BBK / MSport rear discs and calipers, Pagid RSL1 pads all round, H&R/Eibach ARBs, Michelin P4S.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 06:50 AM   #5
Richie35d
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
The air inlet connection can benefit from a few turns of insulating tape on top of the OEM foam tape - this increases the overall diameter and helps the two components mate more sunugly to reduce vibration.
Cool yeah I noticed the pipe is very loose
Appreciate 0