F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > INTAKE TESTING: Detailed Review, Data Analysis, & Comparison – MPPK vs. Dinan vs. CTS
proTUNING Freaks

10-12-2020, 11:24 AM   #23
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejeremyman9 View Post
I think this is the main concern of a dry filter in general. Usually the air filter oil is what helps capture very fine dust particles that may be small enough to pass through the actual filter media. In any case ill see how my OA looks when i do one. (Note, CTS is also a dry filter)
Yeah, I just don’t have the patience to mess with oiled filters anymore. They have to be cleaned every 3mo or their performance ends up being worse than the stock filter, and if you over oil them they get crap all in the intake.

The headache isn’t worth a couple more hp to me, but some guys run them correctly & successfully.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2020, 10:56 PM   #24
visionaut
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 435iX GC & 1976 2002

Quote:
I didn't know the dinan came with a part to block off the MPPK opening. That is not included in any of the instructions that i saw (I downloaded the Dinan instructions).
For the sake of testing i will plan to do this eventually and block both the snow flap and MPPK hole. That will happen when i want to remove the CTS.
Jeremy - here’s a pic of the MPPK block off plate kit (D763-0087) that came included with my Dinan High Flow Cold Air Intake kit (D760-0038). The snow valve block off plate kit was similar.

Thanks for being interested enough to test it as-designed (sealed box)!

Tom
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 05:58 PM   #25
Torquey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i GT | 550i 6MT

Very valuable thread, reinforcing some of the observations of N55 owners. I have the same MPPK setup with aFe Pro Dry drop-in and their behind-the-grill air scoop. For a mostly stock family hauler (MPPK + JB1), I am all for NOT sacrificing low to mid range torque and the stock intake seems to do that pretty well.

Your turbo inlet impressions have piqued my interest... as I am sucker for razor sharp throttle response, and anything that helps in that direction is worth a look in my book. I remember putting a COBB one on my WRX long time ago. How difficult is the install on the F30s?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 06:57 PM   #26
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquey View Post
Very valuable thread, reinforcing some of the observations of N55 owners. I have the same MPPK setup with aFe Pro Dry drop-in and their behind-the-grill air scoop. For a mostly stock family hauler (MPPK + JB1), I am all for NOT sacrificing low to mid range torque and the stock intake seems to do that pretty well.

Your turbo inlet impressions have piqued my interest... as I am sucker for razor sharp throttle response, and anything that helps in that direction is worth a look in my book. I remember putting a COBB one on my WRX long time ago. How difficult is the install on the F30s?
RE first comment above, I don't think any intake (that i tested) is sacrificing low to mid range torque. But i agree stock intake is more than adequate for your setup (and most FBO/stock turbo setups in general).

As far as the inlet goes, as i said in my OP, i do highly recommend the MST v2 if you are looking for improved throttle response. Install isn't too difficult, mostly annoying due to accessing the inlet to turbo bolt, the PCV bolt (at least on removal, MST modular construction makes it easier on reinstall), and just general hard-to-reach things. If you have done IC, CP, DP, TIC, etc, you shouldn't have a problem. In my post in the aftermarket inlet thread i have a album with a ton of photos including how i accessed things and tools i used. Kies also has a video, which i only deviated from slightly. If you have more questions about the inlet you can post in that thread. Oh, and if you are going to install an inlet, recommend replacing the PCV (aka CCV) hose at the same time.
Appreciate 2
Torquey92.00
///MPhatic13855.50
      10-14-2020, 09:13 PM   #27
paimon.soror
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 435x MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Oh, and if you are going to install an inlet, recommend replacing the PCV (aka CCV) hose at the same time.
This!

Actually, keep a second one on hand just incase ... the damn things split real nice after a solid year or so of heat cycling
      10-20-2020, 04:45 PM   #28
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Longer term reviews or thoughts? How is fuel consumption? Throttle response still sharp? Has it quieted down?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 05:06 PM   #29
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Longer term reviews or thoughts? How is fuel consumption? Throttle response still sharp? Has it quieted down?
Fuel consumption i don't really pay attention to lol. I do take a picture of the idrive every time i get gas before resetting, so i could look back, but i would chalk any changes up to driving habits. I doubt the intake had any impact.

Throttle response is solid, yes. No complaints there. Over the last two weekends, I went to BMWs 2020 ultimate driving experience event twice. You get to test drive various cars, and autocross the 2020 M340i (rwd) and 2020 M235 gran coupe xdrive. The 2 series uses the 4cyl (B48?) whereas the M340i uses the B58 obviously. I had already driven the M340i at least years event, so this was my 3rd time autocrossing it. Last year i drove it when my car was stock (did IC+CP+stage 1 a few weeks after, just a coincidence though as i had already ordered parts). This year i drove them with my current setup as a comparison. As i experienced when i had a 2020 330i as a loaner car a couple months ago, the 4cyl throttle response/"turbo lag" is absolutely awful. I mean seriously, you floor it and it takes a full 2-3 seconds before you even feel like you are moving. Its strange. The M340i is better, but no doubt it still feels "laggier" than my current setup (and slower overall). Of course this is a stock to modded comparison, but just providing as a point of reference.

And no, it has not quieted down lol. I'm hoping its like an acquired taste and i like it more over time. But if the opposite turns out to be true, i'll just sell it. Really the only sound that seems to get old is the 'sigh' you can hear from inside the cabin at freeway speed when you just lightly accelerate in high gear and let off. It's not a "cool" sound, and it just seems like something that is unnecessary to hear, and it lasts longer than a quick 'whoosh'.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 07:21 AM   #30
Dinan_Engineering
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by visionaut View Post
Jeremy - here’s a pic of the MPPK block off plate kit (D763-0087) that came included with my Dinan High Flow Cold Air Intake kit (D760-0038). The snow valve block off plate kit was similar.

Thanks for being interested enough to test it as-designed (sealed box)!

Tom
Quote:
I didn't know the dinan came with a part to block off the MPPK opening. That is not included in any of the instructions that i saw (I downloaded the Dinan instructions). In any case, i am also pretty confident that, while such a design may be beneficial for a NA engine and is widely used on motorcycles for example, i highly doubt it going to make a difference on a turbo car like ours. All testing i have ever seen on turbos car (dyno videos, flow bench data, etc), all shows that going from a more restrictive to a less restrictive intake/filter setup provides the greatest benefit. That could be everything from testing different intakes to going removing the filter with the same intake in place, or going from turbo with only filter (no intake tube) to turbo with no filter at all (just open turbo). There's a reason why lots of drag cars run no intake and no filter at all, just a turbo guard or the 'velocity stack' attachments to force air in. Note, I did delete the snow flap bot the dinan testing.

For the sake of testing i will plan to do this eventually and block both the snow flap and MPPK hole. That will happen when i want to remove the CTS.
Not going to pretend to be able to wade into the minutia of flow dynamics and all the techno babble personally but I thought I would note that from what I remember from testing for this specific intake was that the MPPK porthole was a critical component. As in it shouldn't be there. The addition of that hole actually lost power compared to a sealed bottom box and caused some drivability nuances (the surginess you described). Our conclusion was that the MPPK intake was essentially the engine tune (what you were actually paying for), a sticker on the intake tube, and a hole in the box to create additional sound. That way the factory MPPK kit could satisfy all the senses creating more "value."

Would be curious to see that additional test done for all with that hole patched up as if what I recall is accurate you would see improvement on all setups, not just Dinan.
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2020, 11:00 AM   #31
kitchener
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335xi M-Sport

This jibes with my thinking the additional porthole is what messed with Ozy's MAF readings with the air scoop.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 11:44 AM   #32
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Not going to pretend to be able to wade into the minutia of flow dynamics and all the techno babble personally but I thought I would note that from what I remember from testing for this specific intake was that the MPPK porthole was a critical component. As in it shouldn't be there. The addition of that hole actually lost power compared to a sealed bottom box and caused some drivability nuances (the surginess you described). Our conclusion was that the MPPK intake was essentially the engine tune (what you were actually paying for), a sticker on the intake tube, and a hole in the box to create additional sound. That way the factory MPPK kit could satisfy all the senses creating more "value."

Would be curious to see that additional test done for all with that hole patched up as if what I recall is accurate you would see improvement on all setups, not just Dinan.
Thanks for the response. I would note that adding the MPPK porthole was a tangible improvement both subjectively (i.e., improved throttle response and reduced 'lag') and quantitatively (i.e., reduced WGDC all else being equal) when i tested it on the stock intake with drop-in filter (after adding turbo inlet). I'm happy to dive into the fluid mechanics aspect of things if there is theory and technical support for not having the MPPK opening on either the Dinan or the stock intake because that is my background. In any case, even if the addition of the porthole in the MPPK airbox bottom is mostly for sound when installed by BMW, i find it hard to believe they would do this if there was any negative impact on performance. As i have elaborated on in the inlet thread, I do believe that adding the porthole is going to provide little to no benefit on a car with stock inlet, because the point of maximum resistance in the intake system is the inlet and not the airbox bottom. But if you have an upgraded inlet, i do believe based on my own testing and the data that adding the porthole makes a difference and is an improvment with the stock intake still in place. I will eventually test the dinan with the snowflap and porthole completely sealed off. I could test the stock intake again in that configuration, but i already did that, and both my subjective opinion and the data showed that adding the porthole with the stock intake setup was an improvement. (Also CTS doesn't use airbox bottom so its not relevant there).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchener View Post
This jibes with my thinking the additional porthole is what messed with Ozy's MAF readings with the air scoop.
Not accurate because i literally tested the exact same thing as Ozy. In the tests i did i ran MPPK porthole, no snowflap, no scoop. This is exactly what Ozy ran - literally the same intake too because it came off his car. And there are additional data points in the dinan intake threads where others running BM3 show a similar impact on MAF readings. And when someone posted a YouTube video from ThicF30 i could see during the video in his BM3 dash that his MAF wasnt reading correctly. The common denominator in all of these is BM3.
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2020, 11:58 AM   #33
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

I haven’t followed all those conversations, but the MAF on the M2 maxes out at 43.4-lb/min and won’t read higher.

Is that what you’re talking about, or some weird fluctuations?
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 12:06 PM   #34
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
I haven’t followed all those conversations, but the MAF on the M2 maxes out at 43.4-lb/min and won’t read higher.

I’ve seen upwards of 46lb/min for BM3.

All this tells me is that what I noticed with my Dinan + MMPK (inconsistent throttle at times) wasn’t my imagination. I just don’t want to deal with the noise of the CTS.

I’m assuming the AFE is likely the same as the Dinan, so it’s either stock or CTS.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 12:07 PM   #35
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

All this tells me is that what I noticed with my Dinan + MMPK (inconsistent throttle at times) wasn’t my imagination. I just don’t want to deal with the noise of the CTS.

I’m assuming the AFE is likely the same as the Dinan, so it’s either stock or CTS.
M2 is 43.4. Other N55’s have sensors that read higher.

Doesn’t really matter for making power, tho, only if you’re trying to diagnose issues when the air is really pushing hard—which may be the case here and what I was trying to clarify.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 12:31 PM   #36
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post

No, we aren't talking about maxing out the MAF readings in the logs. We're talking about (1) erratic MAF readings with the dinan (jumping up and own while accelerating while it should be a smooth continuously increasing curve, worse with some people than others), and (2), the magnitude of the MAF values being lower than they should be. For example, do some logs with stock intake, see a peak of 41 lb/min (just an example number). Then put on dinan, change nothing else, do a log again and see a peak of 34 lb/min -- and the entire curve while following the same general shape shows lower MAF readings throughout the RPM range with the Dinan, suggesting the MAF isnt reading correctly in the dinan intake tube since there is no dedicated 'MAF' housing and the size/shape is different than stock (true even when VD results and other data suggests the car is making the same power and flowing the same air). The strange thing is that this only seems to happen for people running BM3.

You can see more in the Dinan thread, scroll down a little and see someone else with a graph independently confirming what i saw in Ozy and a few other people's logs: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1486248&page=2
Appreciate 1
ZM22810.50
      10-21-2020, 12:32 PM   #37
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:

Curious to see what you think (subjectively, driveability) and what your logs show if you were to block off the MPPK porthole with the dinan...
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 12:36 PM   #38
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
No, we aren't talking about maxing out the MAF readings in the logs. We're talking about (1) erratic MAF readings with the dinan (jumping up and own while accelerating while it should be a smooth continuously increasing curve, worse with some people than others), and (2), the magnitude of the MAF values being lower than they should be. For example, do some logs with stock intake, see a peak of 41 lb/min (just an example number). Then put on dinan, change nothing else, do a log again and see a peak of 34 lb/min -- and the entire curve while following the same general shape shows lower MAF readings throughout the RPM range with the Dinan, suggesting the MAF isnt reading correctly in the dinan intake tube since there is no dedicated 'MAF' housing and the size/shape is different than stock (true even when VD results and other data suggests the car is making the same power and flowing the same air). The strange thing is that this only seems to happen for people running BM3.

You can see more in the Dinan thread, scroll down a little and see someone else with a graph independently confirming what i saw in Ozy and a few other people's logs: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1486248&page=2
All very interesting! Will stay tuned to hear what folks figure out.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 12:44 PM   #39
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

I have MHD - but I’ll grab some Logs today
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 06:17 PM   #40
LA1Z24
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i M Sport

I just ordered an airflow straightener for the Dinan housing. Should be here this weekend. When it comes I will do some pulls with it.

https://performancemrp.com/i-3049781...tegory:1389190

Do you want 4th gear only pulls, or full pulls from 1st?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 06:26 PM   #41
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA1Z24 View Post
I just ordered an airflow straightener for the Dinan housing. Should be here this weekend. When it comes I will do some pulls with it.

https://performancemrp.com/i-3049781...tegory:1389190

Do you want 4th gear only pulls, or full pulls from 1st?
4th gear pulls will be more important for this comparison. I recommend at least 2 before, and 2 more after installation. On the same day/tank of gas ideally. 3 before and 3 after pulls is ideal to have a nice dataset.

Also, are you running BM3?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 10:48 PM   #42
Seba77W
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i Xdrive Coupe

Great write up! I've had the CTS intake on my car 435i for over 3 years now and I love it. What do you mean too loud!? . I've never had any CELs or drivability issues. Also running MHD Stage 2+ tune. And definitely thinking of maybe adding the upgraded inlet and air scoop like you mentioned.
Attached Images

10-24-2020, 11:12 AM   #43
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seba77W View Post
Great write up! I've had the CTS intake on my car 435i for over 3 years now and I love it. What do you mean too loud!? . I've never had any CELs or drivability issues. Also running MHD Stage 2+ tune. And definitely thinking of maybe adding the upgraded inlet and air scoop like you mentioned.
Nice, good to hear it hold up over time. I didn't say its too loud, just significantly louder than a closed intake, but as i said it comes down to person preference just like exhaust. I highly recommend the inlet. I have not tried an air scoop yet, but it probably cant hurt with these open intakes to get some more fresh air to them.
Appreciate 1
Seba77W401.00
      10-24-2020, 11:15 AM   #44
paimon.soror
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 435x MSport

Garage List
good call on the scoop. aside from getting the CTS some sort of semi-enclosure, i feel it would be a nice way to ensure fresh air is diverted through the intake box.

Agreed on the inlet (i went with PureTurbo but people seem to really like the MST) - and if your down there, might as well take care of the DV too