F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Bimmertech Apple Carplay MMI install DIY
ARMA SPEED

10-27-2018, 08:29 PM   #1
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Bimmertech Apple Carplay MMI install DIY

Hey yall!

I just finished up my latest project and installed the Bimmertech carplay MMI interface into a F30 today!

EASY install if you are familiar with taking your dash apart, with the single most time consuming element being getting all the cables and head unit back into place. That said, its not hard, and if you are lucky can do the whole install in 30min or less EASY.

Thank you to Bimmertech for yet another awesome product!

This is just for install, as the Carplay walkthrough is already posted by Bimmertech, so what it does, you should be good to go!

Any questions give me a shout!

'Lillith' F87 M2 Competition Build Thread
Appreciate 5
      10-28-2018, 04:08 AM   #2
peikko
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D Sport

I bought a unit from a U.K. company and will fit it next week in a 2015 GT which came with prof nav so possibly less cables to cope with!!

My biggest wonder is the USB cable location... I would love to find the trim cover below the heat controls with the usb outlet that the newer cars have as this would be the best location...

Where did you run yours to?
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2018, 04:55 AM   #3
devil84
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G30

Quote:
Originally Posted by peikko View Post
I bought a unit from a U.K. company and will fit it next week in a 2015 GT which came with prof nav so possibly less cables to cope with!!

My biggest wonder is the USB cable location... I would love to find the trim cover below the heat controls with the usb outlet that the newer cars have as this would be the best location...

Where did you buy this
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2018, 05:14 AM   #4
peikko
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil84 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by peikko View Post

Where did you buy this
https://unique-ad.co.uk £375.99 and uses car mike
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2018, 06:22 AM   #5
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY14 328xi - Sportline

Great walk-through video. Two questions: Do you happen to display CarPlay in full-screen resolution without the right docked icon?

I raised a question to BimmerTech who mentioned the possible option to use the central console USB port.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2018, 10:03 AM   #6
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by theblues View Post
Great walk-through video. Two questions: Do you happen to display CarPlay in full-screen resolution without the right docked icon?

I raised a question to BimmerTech who mentioned the possible option to use the central console USB port.
I haven't worked with it very much yet.. if I figure that out, definitely will mention it. Cool on using the USB port.. maybe moving the plug over or the like?
'Lillith' F87 M2 Competition Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2018, 04:44 PM   #7
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY14 328xi - Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW DIY Guy View Post
I haven't worked with it very much yet.. if I figure that out, definitely will mention it. Cool on using the USB port.. maybe moving the plug over or the like?
My bad for not making sense on the second part of the reply. My question was if it was mentioned to you when you received the instructions from Bimmertech as per VIN reference?
Appreciate 0