F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 440i MPPSK - 1st impressions
ARMA SPEED

08-29-2019, 03:29 PM   #1
MarkH13
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 CP, SMB

440i MPPSK - 1st impressions

Picked up my new (to me) 2018MY 440i MPPSK with 6k miles on the clock this morning, and thought I'd share my initial thoughts on the car.

Firstly, although I wasn't 100% sure about the colour (Melbourne Red), it's grown on me, and I think it looks fantastic, definitely stands out as there's not too many on the roads that colour. I'm also planning on getting it detailed, and I think it will come up really well after that.

Setting up the online services and BMW app was pretty painless and quick - once I'd entered the VIN, the car started to transfer its data to my phone, all sorted in less than 30 minutes, and being able to control certain functions from my phone seems quite useful.

Most importantly though, the driving experience - wow!!! This really is two cars in one - drive it sedately in Comfort mode, and it's quiet, smooth, and very easy to drive. But when you put the power down, it's indecently fast (possibly even quicker than the M240i I test drove recently).

I played around with the driving modes: Eco isn't as bad as I expected, and still gives enough power to make decent progress; Comfort is great, plenty of power when you need it, but the engine settles down when you ease off. Sport/Sport + is really where the fun is though, as the MPPSK exhaust valve opens and you get all sorts of crazy noises from the back, as well as a sharper throttle response.

I didn't expect the car to have adaptive suspension (it wasn't on the car spec), but playing with the iDrive menus, Sport gave me the option to put either the drivetrain, chassis, or both into Sport mode, so this seems to suggest the car maybe does have it? I did experiment between Comfort and Sport, but couldn't feel much difference in the suspension between the two...

Power builds very smoothly and strongly from 1500 rpm, but once you get to around 4k there's a ferocious surge, and the car bullets forward, changing up rapidly at around 7k, ready for the next sprint. It's massively addictive, especially with the splendid noise from the exhaust - but finding a long enough stretch of road to really exploit the car was a bit of a challenge!

I was also pretty impressed with the handling - I didn't expect it to be the last word in roadholding, but it goes round corners fast and fairly flat, and (at least in the dry) with very little drama. The ride is also much smoother/better than I expected, especially with the stock Bridgestone Potenza RFTs fitted. The steering is nicely weighted, although I couldn't feel much feedback from the wheels.

Seats and the rest of the interior are all fine, typical BMW, functional but not flashy. The upgraded HK system also seems fine (haven't tested it out fully yet), although the surround sound mode sounded awful!

So after Day 1, I'm really delighted with the car - it's really comfortable, super fast, and great fun to drive, especially when you flick it into Sport mode... I'm very excited about spending more time getting to know it better!
Appreciate 2
Rbrown2758.00
      08-29-2019, 04:00 PM   #2
gippy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 440i, pre-LCI, w/MPPSK

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=10

see here re: adaptive suspension query.

if you do have it, you'd Definitely notice the change in ride quality between comfort and sport, i would have thought
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 04:45 PM   #3
MarkH13
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gippy View Post
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=10

see here re: adaptive suspension query.

if you do have it, you'd Definitely notice the change in ride quality between comfort and sport, i would have thought
Thanks very much, that's really helpful - will have another play with the two modes and see if it makes a difference...
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 05:12 PM   #4
TaranF32
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 4 Series

Congrats on the pickup!

When looking at cars I'd stay away from Melbourne Red but now that I've seen some examples after being detailed and treated to some M performance goodies I think they look really good! Definitely a nice colour and much more exclusive as you don't see many of them.

I've never had the pleasure of driving a 440i with the MPPSK pack, I heard a friends and they sound unbelievable, I was really surprised at how throaty they are.

Now let's see some pics
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 01:13 AM   #5
un1eash
Captain
Rep
Drives: M235i

They all have the drivetrain and chassis option in sport mode. Chassis is the steering weight only if you don't have adaptive suspension.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 01:37 AM   #6
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by un1eash View Post
They all have the drivetrain and chassis option in sport mode. Chassis is the steering weight only if you don't have adaptive suspension.
Mine doesn't have Adaptive, but the ride quality changes noticeably in Sport - as well as steering weight. Don't ask me how or why - it just does. Even the wife noticed!!
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 02:52 AM   #7
SO8
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i xdrive

The performance sounds great. I wanted more at the top end on my M240i convertible ... have now changed to an X3 which has 355hp (like your 440i MPSSK) as opposed to the 240's 335hp ... but also the extra weight.

It seems freer than my M240i but sadly not hugely. That said it is big so doesn't need to be as quick as it is.

Last edited by SO8; 08-30-2019 at 03:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2019, 03:09 AM   #8
MarkH13
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaranF32 View Post
Congrats on the pickup!

When looking at cars I'd stay away from Melbourne Red but now that I've seen some examples after being detailed and treated to some M performance goodies I think they look really good! Definitely a nice colour and much more exclusive as you don't see many of them.

I've never had the pleasure of driving a 440i with the MPPSK pack, I heard a friends and they sound unbelievable, I was really surprised at how throaty they are.

Now let's see some pics
Ha ha, will try and organise pics once the detailing has been done

And yes, in Sport mode the sound is ridiculous, but it does pretty much revert to normal in Comfort mode, so nice to have the option!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 05:07 AM   #9
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Congrats, sounds like you have a nice example there and +1 for Melbourne Red, my previous 328i was MR and you have to see it in the flesh to really appreciate it. In the sun it has this fantastic metallic sparkle, going to look good when detailed.

MPPSK is really the choccy sprinkles with these cars giving you the best of all worlds, and you even have the option of the quiet startup trick to minimize neighbour annoyance. In Comfort yes you can fool the mother-in-law into believing it's a sedate cruiser but if you take it up to 4K rpm in Comfort you'll still get a nice fierce growl. Sport mode, well that just releases the inner child For me the whole thing about the B58 engine is just how effortless and relaxing the drive is - you don't bust speed limits to enjoy it either as acceleration is more accessible (and enjoyable imho) than huge speeds. What's more, the car will surprise you with decent mpg figures if you let it.

Looking forward to the pics.

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 07:43 AM   #10
MarkH13
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobUK View Post
Congrats, sounds like you have a nice example there and +1 for Melbourne Red, my previous 328i was MR and you have to see it in the flesh to really appreciate it. In the sun it has this fantastic metallic sparkle, going to look good when detailed.

MPPSK is really the choccy sprinkles with these cars giving you the best of all worlds, and you even have the option of the quiet startup trick to minimize neighbour annoyance. In Comfort yes you can fool the mother-in-law into believing it's a sedate cruiser but if you take it up to 4K rpm in Comfort you'll still get a nice fierce growl. Sport mode, well that just releases the inner child For me the whole thing about the B58 engine is just how effortless and relaxing the drive is - you don't bust speed limits to enjoy it either as acceleration is more accessible (and enjoyable imho) than huge speeds. What's more, the car will surprise you with decent mpg figures if you let it.

Looking forward to the pics.
Thank you, agree with everything you say - I think the B58 engine must surely be one of the best in production at the moment
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 08:32 AM   #11
Machinebuilder
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 640 IX GT

I have recently installed MPPSK on a 440I X F32. I was told by the BMW dealer the new software is more subdued in regards to exhaust note. I suspect it is the same in Europe due to noise regulations. I only mention it to others as it is not nearly as loud as early versions which is fine with me. Still the car in sport makes you feel like a houligan.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 03:42 PM   #12
gippy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

small tip for you MarkH13 if you haven't already done so.... get the bimmercode app
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 03:46 PM   #13
gippy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwynMike View Post
Mine doesn't have Adaptive, but the ride quality changes noticeably in Sport - as well as steering weight. Don't ask me how or why - it just does. Even the wife noticed!!
.....nah, it won't do (the ride quality). I thought i'd reply to this as it may mislead a complete newbie looking at this (not that i'm an expert).
you must be experiencing a placebo, or you actually have adaptive suspension.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 01:43 AM   #14
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

Quote:
.....nah, it won't do (the ride quality). I thought i'd reply to this as it may mislead a complete newbie looking at this (not that i'm an expert).
you must be experiencing a placebo, or you actually have adaptive suspension.
I was surprised too. I bought the car new, so unless BMW fitted it as standard to the GC, or as part of the towing pack, it shouldn't have Adaptive. The car is almost vanilla, with 6WB and towing pack as the only options.
I've never driven a car with Adaptive so I can't compare.
Some day I'll have a look at the shocks to find out!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 03:39 AM   #15
MarkH13
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
small tip for you MarkH13 if you haven't already done so.... get the bimmercode app
Thanks very much Gippy, yes I've got that on my list of things to do - what would you say are the essential re-codes to make?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 03:40 AM   #16
MarkH13
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinebuilder View Post
I have recently installed MPPSK on a 440I X F32. I was told by the BMW dealer the new software is more subdued in regards to exhaust note. I suspect it is the same in Europe due to noise regulations. I only mention it to others as it is not nearly as loud as early versions which is fine with me. Still the car in sport makes you feel like a houligan.
Interesting... And you're right, it's very hard not to drive the car to its maximum!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 04:52 AM   #17
gippy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkH13 View Post
Thanks very much Gippy, yes I've got that on my list of things to do - what would you say are the essential re-codes to make?
i just had to redo mine yesterday after the MPPSK install...
its a personal choice ain't it but i did the following:

- mirros fold on lock (without having to hold it down)
- mirror angle in reverse (by default its too obtuse for me)
- turn off idrive when driver door open so audio doesn't carry on
- stop-start default to off on start - yes i know the car has been built to handle stop-start over countless cycles but for me its unnecessary wear and doesn't add much to fuel economy
- interior ambient lighting disengaged from cluster illumination
- audible sound made when alarm pressed
- comfort close with no delay (so windows close on lock immediately if they're open)
- tyre pressure and temp monitor enabled in idrive
- digital speedo enabled
- start logo now M performance
- fold mirrors up to 30mph if i'm in a tight country road or something and theres a tractor

think thats about it for me!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 05:51 AM   #18
MarkH13
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
i just had to redo mine yesterday after the MPPSK install...
its a personal choice ain't it but i did the following:

- mirros fold on lock (without having to hold it down)
- mirror angle in reverse (by default its too obtuse for me)
- turn off idrive when driver door open so audio doesn't carry on
- stop-start default to off on start - yes i know the car has been built to handle stop-start over countless cycles but for me its unnecessary wear and doesn't add much to fuel economy
- interior ambient lighting disengaged from cluster illumination
- audible sound made when alarm pressed
- comfort close with no delay (so windows close on lock immediately if they're open)
- tyre pressure and temp monitor enabled in idrive
- digital speedo enabled
- start logo now M performance
- fold mirrors up to 30mph if i'm in a tight country road or something and theres a tractor

think thats about it for me!
Brilliant thanks, that's a really good list to start with
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 05:57 AM   #19
MarkH13
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkH13 View Post
I was also pretty impressed with the handling - I didn't expect it to be the last word in roadholding, but it goes round corners fast and fairly flat, and (at least in the dry) with very little drama. The ride is also much smoother/better than I expected, especially with the stock Bridgestone Potenza RFTs fitted. The steering is nicely weighted, although I couldn't feel much feedback from the wheels.
Quick update on this - I checked the tyre pressures this morning, and they were all 5-10psi lower than they needed to be.

Inflating to the correct pressures has really hurt the ride, which is now much harder and quite 'skittish'. I haven't had a chance to see how it's affected the cornering, but I'm not liking the ride, so it looks like non-RFTs are needed, sooner or later!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 06:06 AM   #20
Grant_7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Caterham 420R. Tesla Model 3

What are you putting your tyre pressure to?

I run around 33psi front and 36 psi rear (from cold).

But yes, changing from those rubbish Bridgestone RFT's will have a positive effect on ride. However I found it was traction that benefitted most.
F31 340i | GS with CR & Ash Grain Trim | M Sport+ Pack | Prof Media Plus Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Leather Dash | Folding Mirrors | Pano Roof | Elec Mem Seats with Lumbar | Adaptive Suspension | Comfort Access | Reverse Cam | Surround View | SLD | Rear Sunblinds | Folding Headrests | Model Designation Delete | Trim Designation Delete | MPPSK
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 06:22 AM   #21
MarkH13
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant_7 View Post
What are you putting your tyre pressure to?

I run around 33psi front and 36 psi rear (from cold).

But yes, changing from those rubbish Bridgestone RFT's will have a positive effect on ride. However I found it was traction that benefitted most.
I'm running 40 rear / 42 front, which sounds high, but is still a little below the fully laden recommended pressures. (I usually aim for fully laden pressures to minimise tyre wear and rolling resistance.)

I'll give it a week or so to see if I can live with it, and if not, I'll reduce the pressures.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 01:19 PM   #22
Grant_7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Caterham 420R. Tesla Model 3

That won't minimise tyre wear - it will just wear the centre of the tread at a faster rate than the rest of the tyre. Plus reduced braking performance, traction and grip.

Imagine not stopping in time by half a car length just to save a couple of mpg...I know which is cheaper and less hassle.
F31 340i | GS with CR & Ash Grain Trim | M Sport+ Pack | Prof Media Plus Pack | Interior Comfort Pack | Leather Dash | Folding Mirrors | Pano Roof | Elec Mem Seats with Lumbar | Adaptive Suspension | Comfort Access | Reverse Cam | Surround View | SLD | Rear Sunblinds | Folding Headrests | Model Designation Delete | Trim Designation Delete | MPPSK
Appreciate 1