F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Disappointed with 435
ARMA SPEED

11-06-2013, 04:10 PM   #23
Philipangoo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335

Well if the exhaust sound is the only thing you are dissapointed in coming from a E92 m3 then really that's a good thing.

Exhaust note is fairly easy to change / remedy. You can get a High Flow Cat which will make it louder and more aggressive. Or you can go with an aftermarket exhaust which will achieve the same thing.
      11-06-2013, 04:21 PM   #24
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

If you literally just took delivery, you need to put some miles and heat cycles on it. The sound will change as everything tempers.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 04:26 PM   #25
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
M-Performance exhaust makes it sound a whole lot better - I ordered my F30 with that as a port-installed option along with gloss black grilles.

The N55 in your 435 has a slightly different configuration than your previous 135 - the DME is different even than my 2013 335i. The MPPK software update allows for better exhaust sound and the "blip" on upshift - the 8AT sounds a lot like the DCT.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 04:57 PM   #26
btbossman
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi M sport--2014 M6

The golf tee mod will only make in sound better in comfort...if you want a true performance sound you need to go aftermarket.

MPE= Increase in throatiness and slight sound increase

AKRA= best most refined sound(stock in low rpm, beast in high rpm)

Meisterschaft/ Eisenhaus = Loudest/ performance oriented sound ( in every way these exhausts are over done)

borla/challenge/afe, are somewhere in the middle of akra and gt haus/eisenhaus
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 06:10 PM   #27
IM2C
Major General
Rep
Drives: ∞ Improbability Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC40 View Post
No test drive?
+1
      11-06-2013, 06:17 PM   #28
PabloK
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90im View Post
+1
+2

Get a downpipe, problem solved.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 06:47 PM   #29
Trajan265
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i X-Drive M-Sport

FWIW, I have a '13 335i MSport with about 4k miles on it. I really feel that the exhaust note has improved significantly since the car was new. I am much happier with the sound now, especially in Sport mode.
I have tried the exhaust flap unplugging mod and liked some of the results, but it picked up a little drone at lower RPMs on the highway.
I hope you find a way to be satisfied with you new car. It is a beautiful ride. Enjoy it!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #30
cjack
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 435X, EBII, 6MT, PPK + 2019 X5

I have the 435 with the PPK. 6MT.

I found the original exhaust ok, but rather quiet.

PPK was installed about 2 weeks after receiving the car. Also did the "golf tee" modification (just unplugged and taped so no dirt goes into the connector and cable). Took about two days after the PPK was installed and it appeared to get louder. The downshifts (in sport) mode sound awesome ("burble"). Catches peoples attention. In comfort mode, the exhaust is a more quiet.

The sound of the car is perfect now.

If I ever want louder, I will pay the $3-4k and get the meisterschaft with dual modes (loud and quite via a switch).
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 08:33 PM   #31
nyc2sd30
BMW Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i M Sport

Re-evaluate after 1000 miles are on the car. They exhaust has to break in just like the rest of the car. They even tell you this when you buy a very pricey system like a Vorsteiner or Meisterschaft
      11-06-2013, 08:36 PM   #32
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjack View Post
I have the 435 with the PPK. 6MT.

I found the original exhaust ok, but rather quiet.

PPK was installed about 2 weeks after receiving the car. Also did the "golf tee" modification (just unplugged and taped so no dirt goes into the connector and cable). Took about two days after the PPK was installed and it appeared to get louder. The downshifts (in sport) mode sound awesome ("burble"). Catches peoples attention. In comfort mode, the exhaust is a more quiet.

The sound of the car is perfect now.

If I ever want louder, I will pay the $3-4k and get the meisterschaft with dual modes (loud and quite via a switch).
+1

I think PPK and increased mileage fix the exhaust issue. There is always MPE for about USD1k.

Akra would be the gold standard though, descent USD3k before labor on that one

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 08:43 PM   #33
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishan
I took delivery of a new 435 m sport with superman combo yesterday.

I must say that I am disappointed with the exhaust note. I
had a 135 DCT and then an E92 M3. I obviously can't compare the V8 to the 435, but I remember that the 135 sounded so much louder and aggressive with a distinct blip with down changes.

Please advise whether the 435 exhaust note will change after the break-in? I can't believe that I have to spend more money to make this already expensive car sound better!

Anyway, here r some pics:
So many stock exhausts sound timid.

The good news is you can fix it.
Wait until you hit 1500 miles.

Why? Statistically, if the car is going to suffer from a build issue it will show up in the first 1500 miles.

For this reason, most mods should wait for 1500 to ensure you're past the build issues. Otherwise, tinkering with the car during the time it's most likely to have an issue will just make resolution more challenging and increase the likelihood of finger pointing.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 10:36 PM   #34
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

Here's my quote to you from your other thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M235i View Post
You will likely not be happy with the 435i.
You can't afford to keep your current M3.
You can not afford to buy the next gen M3.
You will learn to live with the 435i, and eventually return here and pretend-post that it's a great car.
No one else will care.

And here you are not even a week later with your first complaint. I must say, i didn't see it coming this soon.

Having said that, ANY exhaust, factory OEM, M performance, akrapovic needs time to break in. Usually 1-2k miles. It will get better. You probably still will not like it. It's not meant to impress you. I would definitely recommend the M performance exhaust (akrapovic if you got the coin). Huge improvement. Almost makes up for the rest of the car.

Congrats! It looks gorgeous!!!
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2013, 12:17 AM   #35
Nishan
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Garage List
2012 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M235i
Here's my quote to you from your other thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M235i View Post
You will likely not be happy with the 435i.
You can't afford to keep your current M3.
You can not afford to buy the next gen M3.
You will learn to live with the 435i, and eventually return here and pretend-post that it's a great car.
No one else will care.

And here you are not even a week later with your first complaint. I must say, i didn't see it coming this soon.

Having said that, ANY exhaust, factory OEM, M performance, akrapovic needs time to break in. Usually 1-2k miles. It will get better. You probably still will not like it. It's not meant to impress you. I would definitely recommend the M performance exhaust (akrapovic if you got the coin). Huge improvement. Almost makes up for the rest of the car.

Congrats! It looks gorgeous!!!
Please allow me to qualify the title of the thread. The ONLY thing that disappoints me about the 435 is the exhaust note.

In all other respects, I think it is better than my previous car. The power is great! I am situated at high altitude, so the M3 did loose some power due to my location and the 435 feels as quick. It just does not sound quick

The upgraded idrive is amazing!!! I can't believe that I was missing out on so much!

Also, even though I hesitated for a little bit, I am glad I took the superman combo. The coral red goes well with Estoril blue.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 02:04 AM   #36
Alpine F31
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: MB E350 4MATIC Estate

Garage List
You'll get the sound sorted out one way or another... in the mean time, the car is beautiful! Congratulations!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 04:23 AM   #37
435iaffair
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 435i, Z4M, M157 E63

Garage List
2014 435i  [9.00]
I'm at 1,400 miles now and my 435i does not sound significantly louder from new. But it sounds quite nice in Sport+ mode, though it's definitely still very quiet compared to my other cars. Looking to get the M performance exhaust on very soon. Definitely need to hear the exhaust more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjack View Post
PPK was installed about 2 weeks after receiving the car. Also did the "golf tee" modification (just unplugged and taped so no dirt goes into the connector and cable). Took about two days after the PPK was installed and it appeared to get louder. The downshifts (in sport) mode sound awesome ("burble").
Does the M performance exhaust drone at all? If it only brings out the burble more then it sounds like the perfect exhaust for me as the 435i is my daily.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 04:36 AM   #38
Nishan
Private First Class
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Garage List
2012 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 435iaffair View Post
I'm at 1,400 miles now and my 435i does not sound significantly louder from new. But it sounds quite nice in Sport+ mode, though it's definitely still very quiet compared to my other cars. Looking to get the M performance exhaust on very soon. Definitely need to hear the exhaust more.

Does the M performance exhaust drone at all? If it only brings out the burble more then it sounds like the perfect exhaust for me as the 435i is my daily.
Yeah, I have been investigating the same option. Not badly priced and the videos online suggest a much louder exhaust note.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 05:40 AM   #39
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

I have to say more than 50% of the people who drove the 4 series were not happy with it. Not looking good so far.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 07:41 AM   #40
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

I have said this before. The N55 and exhaust do not sound great in sport+ mode unless you are stepping on the gas and braking and back on the gas again. In other words unless you are constantly varying your speed the exhaust sounds dead in that mode. If on a race track I imagine the exhaust will be in its element and will give you the best aural pleasure in that setting. When all you are doing is stepping on the gas to get up to speed and retaining constant speed, the exhaust sounds best in comfort and Eco pro mode.

I only use sport+ when I am having fun not for constant speed. Change your settings around and see how it plays out
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 08:28 AM   #41
or0b0to
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Something old and moldy

I dunno man, I'm in the complete opposite camp on this one.

I want the sound of the exhaust to be as nonexistent as possible in the cabin... I want to either have quiet, or to hear my music, not a droning engine sound.

I'm glad the exhaust sound is toned down in these vehicles for how much power they deliver.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 11:27 AM   #42
cjack
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 435X, EBII, 6MT, PPK + 2019 X5

My opinion so far is that with the windows up, exhaust sound with PPK is quiet, especially in "comfort" mode. Roll the windows down, put in "sport" mode and the exhaust sounds great.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 12:26 PM   #43
ArthurKing1220
Private
Rep
Drives: REDACTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by or0b0to View Post
I dunno man, I'm in the complete opposite camp on this one.

I want the sound of the exhaust to be as nonexistent as possible in the cabin... I want to either have quiet, or to hear my music, not a droning engine sound.

I'm glad the exhaust sound is toned down in these vehicles for how much power they deliver.

+1 I know that some people really care about "exhaust sound" but I've never understood it -- it just seems irrelevant to the equation. If the dynamics and performance of the car are where I want them to be I don't care if it sounds like a spaceship or an ice cream truck. Frankly, your position is best -- all else being equal, I'd like to not have too much intrusion into the cabin and I don't want to call too much attention to the car (then again, I've always loved sleepers so I admit my bias there.) Also, I think, from a social standpoint, loud pipes are asinine, at least in urban areas -- the need to proclaim your car's supposed "sportiness" should be restrained by a consideration for the many people out and about on the streets and sidewalks -- I don't want my car to contribute to some 4-year-old's hearing loss.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #44
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurKing1220 View Post
+1 I know that some people really care about "exhaust sound" but I've never understood it -- it just seems irrelevant to the equation. If the dynamics and performance of the car are where I want them to be I don't care if it sounds like a spaceship or an ice cream truck. Frankly, your position is best -- all else being equal, I'd like to not have too much intrusion into the cabin and I don't want to call too much attention to the car (then again, I've always loved sleepers so I admit my bias there.) Also, I think, from a social standpoint, loud pipes are asinine, at least in urban areas -- the need to proclaim your car's supposed "sportiness" should be restrained by a consideration for the many people out and about on the streets and sidewalks -- I don't want my car to contribute to some 4-year-old's hearing loss.
I hear you. I just wanted to add my 2 cents to this.

There are two types of people on this forum. You have the guys who appreciate a good exhaust sound (I I will call them the exhausters ) and those who don't. I used to be the type that never paid attention to the car's exhaust. That's why I had an IS250 at one stage in my life
After getting into a different car (G35/37) these two literally taught me how to appreciate how a car drives and the way the exhaust performs. Once you learn to turn off the radio and just listen to your exhaust and engine, you then transform into an exhauster. I have paid attention to my exhaust on so many occasions I am now in tune with what it has to offer and what its weaknesses are (yes it could be louder). As I said earlier, sport mode with constant speed is the worst exhaust setting for me. Vary your speed in that mode and the exhaust comes alive, burbles and continuous pop sounds everywhere not to mention the I6 screaming as all this goes on. Its a great symphony between engine sound and exhaust.

Now once you transfer over to be an exhauster, there are several options. You can be the loud exhaust type person or the "this is good enough" type driver. Honestly I don't fault the guys who like loud exhaust, especially if done in a classy way e.g. GT Haus, Akra etc. After all this is an enthusiast type forum and I would expect this. If anything we should all have some sort of modifications to our exhaust to qualify to post here

Cross over, switch off the radio and enjoy the true luxury of a well executed exhaust system, in stock form I am yet to meet any other car in this segment that matches the F30/32 exhaust (E90/2 sound great too)

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0