F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20, N26, B46, B48 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N20/N26 Build Thread!
Extreme Powerhouse

01-30-2018, 10:19 AM   #1
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

N20/N26 Build Thread!

Hey Everyone,

So had a few people reply to my last thread indicating some interest in me starting a build thread for my N26. I will say this is going to be a rolling thread, so I'll try to edit this post as well as reserve the next few comments on this thread for editing sake and keeping everything towards the top of the thread. Not much of a backstory regarding this car: I've had it for a year and a half now, with almost zero issues. I'll try to go chronologically in each respective area. I also included Imgur links vs. doing attachments, for the sake of not downgrading the quality.

I said I wouldn't get a turbo and here I am....

Engine
Mishimoto Intake: This was my first buy when I got this car. All black intake, great quality. Similar to all the other intakes: you can hear the turbo spool and the get the nice "Shhpshhhh" when you let off the gas.
View post on imgur.com

Evolution Racewerks Turbo-to-Intercooler Chargepipe, Chargepipe, and Front Mount Intercooler: I grouped these together since I got them all the same time and don't warrant their own bullet. I went with ER because I've heard of their great quality, but I've also heard of compatibility issues. I asked around for a bit to be sure it'd all fit and I was reassured. I will say this, however, Always ask if you're mixing the chargepipe and intercooler with different brands. Whether that's ER to Wagner, ER to VRSF. While each company should build to be compatible with OEM parts, it's not always true. Always search the forum and at the very least, make a post asking. Another note is always to make sure you get the right parts for your engine model. The N20 and N26 aren't vastly different, but certain parts are specific to the model (Downpipe, exhaust, etc.). Also be sure there isn't a separate X-Drive/Non-X-Drive part.
https://imgur.com/lI9W01f https://imgur.com/lI9W01f View post on imgur.com

Muffler Delete: So I'll talk about this briefly because this is a path I did go down. I got my muffler delete done for a little over a hundred dollars, so I figured why not. On the N26, it doesn't sound too bad. You will get drone when you're low gear and high speed (Think ECO/Comfort). It's nice and loud when you WOT and otherwise general driving, but it lacks a "voice". It's loud, but the tone just isn't right. I will say it's a good budget mod, but don't expect to keep it forever unless you're into that stuff. I'll link to another thread in which myself and Phil2thejay posted our results: http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...Muffler+Delete

Evolution Racewerks Catless Downpipe/AWE Touring Quad Exhaust with Resonated Midpipe: This was my upgrade to the aforementioned muffler delete and what an improvement. Similar to the woes of fitment issues of the chargepipe, I was also worried here that ER and AWE weren't going to be compatible. Needless to say, they were. Both were engineered to be compatible with OEM parts, so they fit perfectly. Additionally, as mentioned earlier, be sure you know which engine you have. N20/N26 come into play here. I'm lacking photos here, but I promise I'll get some today! Until then, I did take a video last night, showcasing the sound the car makes now.
View post on imgur.com

Highlights:
0:05 Start
0:30-1:05 First acceleration and gurgles to the end of the street
1:29-1:40 Second acceleration to the stop sign, more gurgles
1:45-2:05 So four gear shifts here. 1st to 2nd was around 3k, 2nd to 3rd around 4.5k, and 3rd to 4th around 6k. (WOT and shifting at 6k lets out a rip of snaps/crackles that's pretty satisfying to do in a tunnel.)
2:05-2:56 Various burbles through a parking lot
3:00-3:20 Parked and revved the car to about 4k and then a few revs just a little over 1k
4:00-4:05 One of the longer burbles
4:40-4:48 Nice, long burble
5:05-5:28 Another acceleration with a 6k shift

NGK Iridium Plugs/Bootmod3 Flash Tune: Plugs were simple, so wanted to include them here. Gapped to 0.018" as requested by ProtuningFreaks (BM3 creators). As for the tune, this is leaps and bounds beyond the Dinan Sport Tuner I had before (Which is also a great budget mod to hold you over). I have a Stage 2, 91OCT tune that I run daily. I have yet to dyno (I know, I promise I'll get #s when the new turbo is in and tuned), but the butt dyno indicates it's a hell of a lot faster. In a safe environment, I have successfully pulled on several Mustangs, Challengers, 3/428i, 335i, etc. Between all of the components, it sounds beautiful. Turbo spool is heard right upon acceleration, burbles/cracks/pops on WOT shifts and downshifting, and the cold start being coded out is great (You're welcome, neighbors).

Go Fast Bits Diverter+ (DV+)
So, this was a nifty little upgrade. GFB will send you a new plunger, which takes out the old OEM one with six holes, and brings it down to just one. Additionally, they provide two new springs and new bolts. The install is fairly simple and save yourself time by doing the easiest way, which is to loosen the manifold. For testing sake, we did attempt an install by removing the coolant pipe and elbow pipe, but there isn't enough room for the inside screw. On top of that, you get coolant everywhere! So, the best way will be to loosen the manifold, pull it out, and remove the DV body. After the install, we noticed that I would get some lovely flutter under low RPM releases (Talking under 3.5k or so). I've attached the video. Please ignore my obnoxious voice. I promise to replace this with a video not including my voice, lol.

MHI Big Turbo
Not a lot to say here just yet, but this turbo was looking quite nice for the price. You get a new turbo, manifold, and wastegate, for almost half the price of a Frankenstein. It's rated for 32PSI, but still going to keep it around 23PSI; however, this time we are going to push the engine to about 300whp/350wtq. That appears to be safe range at this time. I will be playing with these numbers some as I explore ways to cool the engine (most importantly those rods) and push it a bit further.

Suspension
Solowerks S1 Coilovers: I will say hands-down, these are the best "bang-for-your-buck" coilovers I've encountered on the market. For someone who primarily DDs the car, they're right in the middle of stiff/soft. Much better feel than OEM and the reduced body roll is great on turns. Forgive me for not grabbing a before photo, but a quick Google search or looking at your own car will show the difference between the stock ride height and mine. I dropped 1" in the front and 0.5" in the rear.
View post on imgur.com

Interior/Exterior
M-Sport Retrofit and DEPO Headlights Install: Nothing crazy here, especially on the exterior. I got the bumper(s) (Still waiting on the rear to come in) from Mod Bargains and they're PP. Overall great quality. As for the steering wheel, I did retrofit the M-Sport (Not the M-Performance with the circular airbag) steering wheel with paddles. Being a base model with no packages, this did require coding and wiring the paddles. I soldered some wires together and wired it accordingly. For coding, I followed one of the DIY threads on here and did the 2TB (Sport Auto Transmission) as well. If you don't have that coded in (You won't have Sport+), I highly recommend it. Sport+ is amazing and the shifting speed is as well. For the headlights, also fairly simple install. Took me about 3 hours due to the locking nuts spinning and requiring vise grips.

Car when it was stock:
https://imgur.com/6C5vuYH https://imgur.com/6C5vuYH View post on imgur.com

Front shot after upgrades:
View post on imgur.com

All-in-all, this has been a fun build and I still have some exterior/interior modifications on the way. I didn't add wheels, brakes, and some other things I did, because they don't offer much. I will be adding videos of pulls, more pictures, and dyno results in the coming weeks, so stay tuned! Also, please ask questions! If I can't answer it, someone else can. If you've done something different than I on a similar build, feel free to post it here. The point of this thread is to not only share my experience but yours as well!

2013 F30 328i: MHI Big Turbo, GFB DV+, Mishimoto CAI, ER TIC/CP/Catless DP, AWE Touring Quad Exhaust w/ Resonated Midpipe, NGK LI Plugs, BM3 with PTF Stage 2 91 AGG Tune, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, Solowerks S1 Coilovers, and DEPO/M-Sport Retrofit

Last edited by BunkerJ; 04-06-2018 at 09:00 AM..
Appreciate 11
      01-30-2018, 10:32 AM   #2
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Update 03/16/2018!

So, I decided to upgrade the turbo this week, because after installing my DV+, we noticed the turbo leaking smoke. It still had life in her, but I decided to preemptively replace it. I went with the MHI Big Turbo, since a new turbo, manifold, and wastegate was appealing for the price. I wasn't a huge fan of the Frankensteins offered atm. Once Halim@HCP gets back to me, we can get the tune rolling out! Going to be shooting for ~23PSI again, but going to cap it off around 300whp/350wtq. I'll update this again when the tune is there!

2013 F30 328i: MHI Big Turbo, GFB DV+, Mishimoto CAI, ER TIC/CP/Catless DP, AWE Touring Quad Exhaust w/ Resonated Midpipe, NGK LI Plugs, BM3 with PTF Stage 2 91 AGG Tune, Fuel-it Stage 2 LPFP, Solowerks S1 Coilovers, and DEPO/M-Sport Retrofit

Last edited by BunkerJ; 03-16-2018 at 09:05 AM..
Appreciate 2
      01-30-2018, 04:50 PM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Awesome

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 01:24 AM   #4
Aekdbrich
Grand Poobah
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i XDrive (F30)

This is good stuff right here!
      01-31-2018, 08:11 AM   #5
Rokoz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 f80 M3

Great stuff! I've been eyeing the solowerks myself
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 08:48 AM   #6
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokoz View Post
Great stuff! I've been eyeing the solowerks myself
Do it! I was honestly hesitant at first because it was only $600 for the set of coilovers. A buddy of mine who has had some for over a year recommended them to me again and I decided to pull the trigger. Smoother ride than OEM, easy to change ride height, and the reduced body roll is perfect.

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 08:49 AM   #7
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aekdbrich View Post
This is good stuff right here!
Thanks! Hopefully, it helps give everyone an idea of what all can be done to this platform and this isn't even the ceiling.

Last edited by BunkerJ; 01-31-2018 at 10:18 AM..
Appreciate 1
Aekdbrich173.00
      01-31-2018, 10:14 AM   #8
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Love it!!

Mike
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 11:05 AM   #9
Rokoz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Looked into them a bit more, sadly, they don't have a set for xDrive
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 11:13 AM   #10
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokoz View Post
Looked into them a bit more, sadly, they don't have a set for xDrive
Oh shoot, sorry. I didn't see you had XDrive. I know Bilstein has them, but not sure if anyone else does.

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 12:08 PM   #11
Rokoz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Seems there is only a smaller number of xDrive options. They seem to be significantly more expensive. Might just have to go the spring route for a while
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 12:35 PM   #12
bheng89
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328xi

I think... I am gonna follow your mod list. I have the mod bug currently lol! But this is a great build and I am glad you are having a lot of success with everything working together.

My request is to keep us posted with updates!

As for the xDrive suspension options, if I cant find a decent used set on the forums, I'm eyeing the Bilstein B14 or CATuned coil overs.

-Brian
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 01:19 PM   #13
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bheng89 View Post
I think... I am gonna follow your mod list. I have the mod bug currently lol! But this is a great build and I am glad you are having a lot of success with everything working together.

My request is to keep us posted with updates!

As for the xDrive suspension options, if I cant find a decent used set on the forums, I'm eyeing the Bilstein B14 or CATuned coil overs.

-Brian
Brian, sounds great. If you're looking to save some money, VRSF is always a good pick as well. I personally went with ER as their quality typically matches the price. Keep us updated!

I will for sure keep the thread updated with anything else I change and would like to get dyno results to you all in the coming month or two.

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 07:07 PM   #14
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line

Garage List
Nice build. Having a hard time on the pulling on the Challenger/Mustangs, etc. unless they were 300hp V6 equipped cars. Any GT or Hemi will demolish our cars, tuned or not. I'd really be interested in a dyno test result. Butt dynos are known to be off lol.
      01-31-2018, 08:58 PM   #15
M2_MEDUSA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Comp. SpecialEdition

I have a 428xi

So since we're doing a build thread I'll go ahead and post mine since I'm also heavily modified on this platform.
I will be going over my modifications in detail and my experience as well as my experiences with different ethanol mixtures on stock pump and upgraded pump.

Mods:
Drop in air filter
Injen Intake
Wagner competition Evo 1 intercooler
VRSF Catless downpipes
Stage 2 fuel it low pressure fuel pump
NGK laser iridium plugs
Evolution Racewerks Chargepipe
Bootmod3 91 octane stage 2 tune
Pending E40% tune by ACF performance
Dinantronics sport+

first mod: was a drop in air filter from K&N
Not gonna gonna talk on this mod to much because I had it for about two weeks, this mod is about 50$ and honestly for the price it's well worth it. You car breathes much easier the stock one is paper and it's sort of restrictive and just not good in my opinion. As far as power goes you might see 2-3 on the dyno but this Intake is good for keeping temps down because the increased airflow. A immediate mod everyone should do whether ur planning on modding or not.

Second Mod: INJEN cold air Intake, This has completely transformed the character of my car. INJEN really nailed the Intake on the n20/6. This Intake is one of the most expensive you can buy for this model but well worth it. This thing is aggressive and it's loud af. This Intake can be heard the entire way throughout a parking structure. It's super easy to install took me about 45 minutes. It's so fun driving around every time you downshift or left off the gas around 3k rpm you hear a very aggressive pshhhhhhhh sound. When your on the gas it sucks in air and honestly it's preety aggressive and I turn a lot of heads. People know it's me cruising up before they even see my car because the sound. The girls love it too lol ? Dyno is I believe 13hp gain and you can really feel it. Must have Intake. It looks oem also so no worries with cops.

Third mod: Wagner Competition Evo 1 intercooler. This intercooler was created for cars meant to be track focused so the cooling benefits are unbelievable I'd recommend checking out Wagners graphs. It's leaps and bounds over the regular Wagner Evo 1 intercooler. When I installed this intercooler my throttle response was unbelievable. Don't know how it affected the throttle response but it's almost instant once I installed it. Temps never go above 240. It cruises around traffic at 190-215. When I do a ton of pulls it'll hit 240 but within about 30 seconds it dropped back down to 190-215. I've ran everything from upwards of multiple pulls in 90 degree weather to 145 mph holding it for about 5 solid miles. I've even hovered around 100-130 mph for about 30 minutes around corners accelerating and living in high rpms soon as I let off the gas 5 seconds go by and u can already see it ticking back down. Fitment was simple took me about 20 minutes to install. Remove 2 bolts from underneath stock pops out and boom Wagner pops in 2 bolts back in and boom drive off. You will feel a increasing in performance because of the cooling affects. Cold air is denser.

Third mod: Dinantronics sport+ Gonna keep this one short and simple, it takes 1 minute max to install its 299$ and man is it amazing for the price you pay. It manipulates only your boost by tripping a sensor to making it thing it's not getting enough boost. I've daily driven +4psi on 91. This thing I forget the actual numbers but it adds about 25whp. And man can you feel the difference. With dinantronics sport+ Injen Intake and Wagner comp intercooler, I was window to window with 335i 435i. These 3 mods will put you at 335i 435i numbers. But if money is your concern I would honestly start out with the dinantronics + it's amazing for 299$

Fourth Mod: VRSF Catless downpipes: These remove the restrictive cats in your stock downpipes. By doing this your increasing the airflow on the exhaust side and allowing your turbos and engine to breath more efficiently. Catless downpipes is probably one of the most effective and cost efficient modifications you can do. I'd pair Catless downpipes and the dinantronics sport + if your on a really tight budget. You will not be disappointed. You will see anywhere from 15-25whp just by upgrading to Catless downpipes. The fitment was extremely easy and perfect. Mechanic loved the ease of it all. You will receive a check engine light though but I wouldn't worry about it, your engine is fine if anything you made it better.

Fifth mod: Stage 2 fuel it lpfp: I got this mod because I plan on running a good amount of ethanol in this engine and be tuned for it. Problem is our stock fuel pump cannot handle anything over like e25 without having issues along the way, so I would just avoid it all together on the stock fuel pump. Ethanol makes a huge difference in terms of power. The octane is around 105 but downside is it burns a lot quicker so you lose mpg, but heyy racecar ???? on the upside it's around 2$ a gallon atleast in California haha. This fuel pump allows for 30% increase in fuel so when running a tune for ethanol it's able to pump more fuel into the engine to feed it, when you add more ethanol it needs to continuously pull more fuel because of how quick it burns. By getting a stage 2 fuelpump your able to assist that. The stock pump cannot handle the psi needed for ethanol delivery but the walbro stage 2 can.

Sixth mod: bootmod3 tune coupled with NGK laser iridium spark plugs gapped at .018 requested by the tuner. I'm not gonna speak to much on this subject because op explained it preety well, all I can say is it's worth the money.

Seventh mod: evolution Racewerks chargepipe: okay first things first, YES!! This is a perfect fitment with Wagner Comp EVO 1 intercooler. Fitment is perfect. This shouldn't net you much hp maybe a few because of the increased piping allowing more airflow but very minimal. The benefit of this is it's aluminum and aluminum dispels heat much quicker then plastic and unlike the plastic chargepipe it's known for breaking and bursting, fortuanetly for me I was running high boost all the time and never experienced any chargepipe issues with my stock one but it happens more often than not so I'd really upgrade this asap. This was a bitch to install because I had no idea what I was doing lmao and broke a vacuum line in the process but honestly it's not that hard.

So In closing I do not know my whp numbers, What i can tell you is how I stack up against other BMW's to give you a visual representation of what I'm putting down, on a stock 135/235/335/435 I'm pulling bus lengths on these guys with my setup. 35i are around 270-278whp. This is all on 91 pump. When ACF finishes my e40 tune through bm3 it'll be more drastic. End result is I'm preety confident I can take out a JB4 slightly modded 35i on 91. And I have not dyno' but once ACF finishes finalizing my tune this week I should be around 330wheel aswell as with OP.
      01-31-2018, 09:26 PM   #16
MONSTAR
#gotboost
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by IssaF32 View Post
145 mph holding it for about 5 solid miles.
I've even hovered around 100-130 mph for about 30 minutes around corners accelerating and living in high rpms
Where in the world are you driving at speeds like that? Asking so that I can go there, of course..

2013 F30 328i (12/2015 - 09/2020) SOLD!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 09:38 PM   #17
M2_MEDUSA
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSTAR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IssaF32 View Post
145 mph holding it for about 5 solid miles.
I've even hovered around 100-130 mph for about 30 minutes around corners accelerating and living in high rpms
Where in the world are you driving at speeds like that? Asking so that I can go there, of course..
It was around the 8 going east in Southern California and then either the sunrise highway or imperial highway it was a road in the desert lol in socal on the way to Julian I think it was the back way to Julian
      01-31-2018, 10:29 PM   #18
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Do you ever come down to SD? I feel like I've seen your plate before, but maybe I'm delusional.

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 11:28 AM   #19
MONSTAR
#gotboost
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunkerJ View Post
Do you ever come down to SD? I feel like I've seen your plate before, but maybe I'm delusional.
I've driven to SD twice since I've had this plate (June, 2016 I believe) but just for weekend stays. Im thinking of doing some beach & bay 5k run there April 14th though!

2013 F30 328i (12/2015 - 09/2020) SOLD!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 01:01 PM   #20
BunkerJ
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I've driven to SD twice since I've had this plate (June, 2016 I believe) but just for weekend stays. Im thinking of doing some beach & bay 5k run there April 14th though!
Possible then. But dope. I'm sure we'll see each other in a big meet up there.

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 05:45 PM   #21
M2_MEDUSA
Major
United_States
Rep

Hopefully stubok chimes in he's currently going big mount turbo and putting internals in the next 60 days
      02-02-2018, 04:14 AM   #22
D041987
Big Turbo Boys N Girls
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328I 6speed

Not been on much as I been working, taking care of my son and building my bimmer.

Setup so far:
Custom twinscroll Mani with a BW EFR 7670 turbo.
Custom air intake with AEM dry flow filter
Stage 2 lpfp
GFB DV+ kit
ATM intercooler with FTP CP's,
Custom Dyno Map and jb4 for control on e85 and pump 92
ARP upgraded Rod bolts for protection,
Muffler delete with quad 3.5" tips
E90 Southbend stage 2 clutch upgrade.
Stock sport shocks but with H&R super sports on the front and regular Sports in the rear powder coated red to match. (Back shocks are too soft so might upgrade to the Koni FSD or Bilstein setup.
Going with 225/45 r18 Front and 255 45(maybe 50) r18 rear. Get that meaty looking back like the car is fast, haha
Currently at around 380whp. Shooting for 420-450whp but my tuner says engine may let go if I push it without internals and tranny might let go as well.

Last edited by D041987; 02-14-2018 at 06:49 PM..
Appreciate 3
BunkerJ1032.00
M2_MEDUSA664.00