F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Help me Build
Studio RSR

10-14-2020, 03:12 PM   #1
Tech UnRaveled
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i

Help me Build

I purchased an 18' BMW 440i w/ only 1700 miles on it a few days ago. Today I flash a BM3 Stage 1 93 octane tune. Bye, Bye Warranty

My thirst for more power is very strong and I think I want to jump right to stage 2. Which parts would you guys recommend?

Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 04:04 PM   #2
weehe126
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

You only need a catless down pipe to go stage 2.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 04:40 PM   #3
Jay5k
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech UnRaveled View Post
I purchased an 18' BMW 440i w/ only 1700 miles on it a few days ago. Today I flash a BM3 Stage 1 93 octane tune. Bye, Bye Warranty

My thirst for more power is very strong and I think I want to jump right to stage 2. Which parts would you guys recommend?

Get a catless downpipe then you can run Stage 2 93. Once you get used to that power, buy a Dorch Stg 2 hpfp so you can run the Stage 2+ E30. Then once you are thirsty for more power, get the VTT GC turbo or Pure800 and buy a custom E50 tune.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 04:55 PM   #4
Tech UnRaveled
Private
Rep

Thanks guys.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 05:57 PM   #5
Ifellapart
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay5k View Post
Get a catless downpipe then you can run Stage 2 93. Once you get used to that power, buy a Dorch Stg 2 hpfp so you can run the Stage 2+ E30. Then once you are thirsty for more power, get the VTT GC turbo or Pure800 and buy a custom E50 tune.
and once you get tired of that power take it to papadakis and throw $100k at him
      10-14-2020, 06:39 PM   #6
Tech UnRaveled
Private
Rep

There are a lot of different down pipes available... from $300-$1200. Is there really a difference?

Also, is there any reason to purchase a CAI?
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 08:00 PM   #7
jackstrath
Major
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 16' F31 340i & 03' Focus RS

Quote:
There are a lot of different down pipes available... from $300-$1200. Is there really a difference?

Also, is there any reason to purchase a CAI?
Get best performance results using a drop in filter, unless spending big money on some of the fancy carbon one, Other than that the open cone ones tend to suck in hot air but sound good...
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2020, 09:16 PM   #8
luca10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 340i xdrive

Get used to it, the thirst for more power never ends unfortunately. A few things I've learned that I can share
- catless downpipe for sure. Required anyways for stage 2.
- b58tu fuel pump if your sticking with stock turbo, dorch stage 2 for upgraded turbo. I thought I'd stay stock turbo but then again, the thirst for more power kicked in and I'm ready for a Vargas GC. I'll be limited with the b58tu so now I need dorch stage 2.
- custom tune, ots maps are great but you will want to max out power. A quality custom tune will get you max power within safe limits.
- spark plugs gapped to .022 anywhere stage 2 or stage 2+, 0.20 for upgraded turbos
- if you have ethanol near by, e85 mixes make a big difference. Just started using it recently, e85 is a hell of a drug
      10-15-2020, 01:17 AM   #9
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Do you gap your plugs for stage 1 or oem ?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 06:50 AM   #10
Tech UnRaveled
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
Do you gap your plugs for stage 1 or oem ?
They are OEM plugs. The car has 1780 miles on it. I didn't see a need to change the plugs yet.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 06:52 AM   #11
Tech UnRaveled
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by luca10 View Post
Get used to it, the thirst for more power never ends unfortunately. A few things I've learned that I can share
- b58tu fuel pump if your sticking with stock turbo, dorch stage 2 for upgraded turbo. I thought I'd stay stock turbo but then again, the thirst for more power kicked in and I'm ready for a Vargas GC. I'll be limited with the b58tu so now I need dorch stage 2.
- custom tune, ots maps are great but you will want to max out power. A quality custom tune will get you max power within safe limits.
- spark plugs gapped to .022 anywhere stage 2 or stage 2+, 0.20 for upgraded turbos
- if you have ethanol near by, e85 mixes make a big difference. Just started using it recently, e85 is a hell of a drug
Do you have a downpipe you would recommend? They seem to greatly range in price and I'm not sure what the difference is.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 06:57 AM   #12
luca10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Do you have a downpipe you would recommend? They seem to greatly range in price and I'm not sure what the difference is.
I've been running vrsf catless for a while now as many others do on here. Cheap and built well, I recommend it
      10-15-2020, 07:05 AM   #13
Tech UnRaveled
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I've been running vrsf catless for a while now as many others do on here. Cheap and built well, I recommend it
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Cool, that's the one I was looking at getting. Should I also order new plugs?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 07:15 AM   #14
luca10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
At 1700 miles I really don't think you would need new plugs, you can always gap the stock plugs to the correct gap for stage 2. I believe the interval for changing plugs is around 20k but I will most likely change mine every 10-15k
      10-15-2020, 07:17 AM   #15
Tech UnRaveled
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
At 1700 miles I really don't think you would need new plugs, you can always gap the stock plugs to the correct gap for stage 2. I believe the interval for changing plugs is around 20k but I will most likely change mine every 10-15k
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks, now I am on the hunt for the best priced VRSF downpipe.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2020, 07:18 AM   #16
luca10
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks, now I am on the hunt for the best priced VRSF downpipe.
Check out x-ph, they usually have good sales, and I think they have 5% off with code 5off
      10-15-2020, 09:09 AM   #17
Tech UnRaveled
Private
Rep

ok, I ordered the downpipe, and cai and stage 2 is already downloaded on my phone.

I tried searching but didn't find the answer. Are there any Here's my dyno threads?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 11:54 AM   #18
Hkilla00
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 340i

Might be selling my big boost stage 4 kit at the discounted price driven less then 200kms if your interested
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 11:28 AM   #19
Supr3me
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Your mom crazy

Garage List
Quote:
ok, I ordered the downpipe, and cai and stage 2 is already downloaded on my phone.

I tried searching but didn't find the answer. Are there any Here's my dyno threads?
Catching up a little late here. +1 for VRSF catless and for Dorch stage 2 hpfp. And for ethanol. Hopefully it's available in your area because it makes a huge difference.
I don't know of a dedicated dyno thread, especially because dyno readings can vary so much from car to car, dyno to dyno, DA to DA.... etc etc. Comparing two different dynos for two different cars isn't that useful. If you're just generally curious, up to about 500 WHP is possible on stock turbo with max-effort supporting mods, custom tune, etc. But it will definitely shorten the life of your turbo. Well above 600 WHP is possible with upgraded hybrid turbos, but you'll start running into limitations from the rest of the vehicle much over 600 WHP.

If you are competitive by nature I recommend getting a Dragy and subscribing to the 100-200 kph thread as it's the best apples to apples way of understanding how well your car (and your driving technique) is performing for the mods you've done.
GL!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2022, 04:38 PM   #20
Tech UnRaveled
Private
Rep

A year and a half ago I started this thread asking what was needed for Stage 2. Today I'm here to ask where should I go next?

Current Mod List:
-Paul Johnson E50 Tune (Currently on Rev 4...logging after turbo install.)
-Vargas GC Turbo
-Spool FX-180 HPFP
-xHP Stage 3 TCU Tune
-Evolution Racewerks Catless Downpipe
-Agency Power B58 Short Ram Intake
-AWE Full Exhaust
-Dinan Lower Springs
-TSW Sebring 20x8 & 20x10
-Michelin Pilot Sports 4s 245/35R20 & 275/30R20
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2022, 04:43 PM   #21
blacksapphire440i
Novice
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i Gran Coupe

Quote:
A year and a half ago I started this thread asking what was needed for Stage 2. Today I'm here to ask where should I go next?

Current Mod List:
-Paul Johnson E50 Tune (Currently on Rev 4...logging after turbo install.)
-Vargas GC Turbo
-Spool FX-180 HPFP
-xHP Stage 3 TCU Tune
-Evolution Racewerks Catless Downpipe
-Agency Power B58 Short Ram Intake
-AWE Full Exhaust
-Dinan Lower Springs
-TSW Sebring 20x8 & 20x10
-Michelin Pilot Sports 4s 245/35R20 & 275/30R20
Alright bro. You got a good looking setup. Congratulations on your journey and I hope it continues to stay a blast. Your next goals would either be to run port injection (Methanol or Ethanol) with a LPFP upgrade and a transmission upgrade. (Pure Drivetrain) At that point, you can increase your boost to essentially infinity (not really but you get my point) but you risk blowing your stock trans/motor without building them. If you're very thirsty for more than 600-650whp on stock motor/trans and the proper fueling, get an upgraded Intake Manifold ($4500-$5000), get your transmission built, get the required fueling necessary (PI) to reach your powerlevel goals, and then start building the bottom end of your motor. Your turbo will probably max out if you do all of the necessary mods so there's also that to look for
Appreciate 1
      07-23-2022, 03:26 PM   #22
maximusfi
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 435 , BMW 535

Garage List
2014 BMW 435  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifellapart View Post
and once you get tired of that power take it to papadakis and throw $100k at him
haha Facts !!
Appreciate 0