F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Active Autowerke High Flow Cat with mppsk
Studio RSR

11-01-2020, 11:28 AM   #1
Miaf30
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 340i

Active Autowerke High Flow Cat with mppsk

Hey guys, I wanted to ask if anyone was running an active autowerke catted downpipe with mppsk or any other catted downpipe. If so, how is your experience?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 10:19 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Expect a deeper and more aggressive sound. It's not going to be obnoxious with catted DP, the perfect sound level in my opinion

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 06:45 PM   #3
Miaf30
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Expect a deeper and more aggressive sound. It's not going to be obnoxious with catted DP, the perfect sound level in my opinion
Will it be anything like catless? I went catless and had to take it off because of the drone in comfort
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 11:29 AM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaf30 View Post
Will it be anything like catless? I went catless and had to take it off because of the drone in comfort
its not , i personally do not like catless + mpe. Catted sounds a lot better in my opinion

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 2
Skyhigh1889.50
Miaf304.00
      11-08-2020, 09:36 PM   #5
DrifterX
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i M Sport 6MT+RWD

Garage List
I've been running a catted VRSF downpipe (V2 with 200 CPSI cat) for the last 3 months and I'm a fan. Love the turbo whistle and throatier tone, however I experience a sort of tin-like rattle which mostly occurs at startup - don't be surprised to hear other things which the stock downpipe deadens.

I double-checked that the new downpipe wasn't hitting anything; just more noise/harshness with the higher flow cat.

Short clip on the day I installed it (engine was cold)

Last edited by DrifterX; 11-08-2020 at 09:56 PM.. Reason: Added a short clip
Appreciate 1
Miaf304.00
      11-12-2020, 07:55 AM   #6
340iNL
Private
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Competition '23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrifterX View Post
I've been running a catted VRSF downpipe (V2 with 200 CPSI cat) for the last 3 months and I'm a fan. Love the turbo whistle and throatier tone, however I experience a sort of tin-like rattle which mostly occurs at startup - don't be surprised to hear other things which the stock downpipe deadens.

I double-checked that the new downpipe wasn't hitting anything; just more noise/harshness with the higher flow cat.

Short clip on the day I installed it (engine was cold)
Well, the Active Autowerke catted DP is installed yesterday with my MPPSK.

The car feels better on the throttle, the sound is REALLY LOUD in sport mode and the burbles sound like the stock mppsk burbles again (somehow stage 1 bootmod burbles are toned down with stock DP). Like gunshots. Turned them off below 60 km/h, in the city, it's no fun (also worried about the cops). Only in tunnels it's fun! Need to refine the burble settings. Sound a bit unnatural on OTS maps now.
Had to turn cold start off, it's way too loud now in the neighborhood lol.

Also replaced spark plugs now my timing is shit. Have to solve this first before going stage 2.

Also something is rattling on a cold start, wondering what that could be. Once warm the sound is gone. Probably the same issue as you? It's sounding like it's a tin can indeed.

Also surprised the sound is quite different from the stock mppsk sound. The stock mppsk sounds maybe a little bit more refined, to be honest, but haven't had much time to drive and experience the new sound. The new sound is more like metal, raspy, roaring animal.

Will post vid later when I have time.
Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadriofoglio (sold), Ferrari 488 spider (sold), BMW 340i xDrive F31 (sold)
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 06:57 AM   #7
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340iNL View Post
Also something is rattling on a cold start, wondering what that could be. Once warm the sound is gone. Probably the same issue as you? It's sounding like it's a tin can indeed.

Also surprised the sound is quite different from the stock mppsk sound. The stock mppsk sounds maybe a little bit more refined, to be honest, but haven't had much time to drive and experience the new sound. The new sound is more like metal, raspy, roaring animal.
This coincides with my observations from a different Downpipe (Akrapovic), featuring the HJS 300 cell cat, in combination with MPPSK.

You can read about it here and also see/hear a video from another B58 forum and user, from HJS's own Downpipe, which sounds the same/similarly:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1691853
Others have confirmed it too.

I suspect this is an echo, which is natural for metallic cats, as well as catless DPs. Keep in mind that the OEM cat is ceramic.
      11-13-2020, 09:02 AM   #8
CajunBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i and X1, Chrysler Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
Quote:

This coincides with my observations from a different Downpipe (Akrapovic), featuring the HJS 300 cell cat, in combination with MPPSK.

You can read about it here and also see/hear a video from another B58 forum and user, from HJS's own Downpipe, which sounds the same/similarly:

I suspect this is an echo, which is natural for metallic cats, as well as catless DPs. Keep in mind that the OEM cat is ceramic.
I followed your other thread. Are you still happy with your DP? My car is still in warranty and I am not changing anything yet that would effect that status. I read your thread and all the detail you put into describing the pros and cons of that DP. I have always heard good things about that DP. Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 09:11 AM   #9
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunBMW View Post
Quote:
Quote:

I followed your other thread. Are you still happy with your DP? My car is still in warranty and I am not changing anything yet that would effect that status. I read your thread and all the detail you put into describing the pros and cons of that DP. I have always heard good things about that DP. Cheers,
I haven't driven much yet, but so far - happy, yes.
I am just like you still under warranty. A DP is the least intrusive, least risky (warranty-wise) performance-related hardware change you can do, so I decided not to wait longer. The OEM Downpipe can be reinstalled any time, if really needed, with no traces.
      12-05-2020, 06:40 AM   #10
340iNL
Private
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Competition '23

Quote:

Fixed the problem the connection with exhaust and downpipe was not good
Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadriofoglio (sold), Ferrari 488 spider (sold), BMW 340i xDrive F31 (sold)
Appreciate 0