F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 2013 335i xdrive transmission replacement issues
proTUNING Freaks

07-16-2023, 03:05 PM   #1
JaxD
Probably fixing some broken shit
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xdrive

2013 335i xdrive transmission replacement issues

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hey guys, I recently replaced my 6 speed manual in my 2013 335i xdrive after the 2nd gear synchro went out. The issue is on the first install, we couldn't get ANYTHING to move, the car couldn't shift into 3rd, 5th, or 6th. We couldn't even manually crank the motor. After taking it back out, realigning everything. And putting the transmission back in the car, we actually were able to get the gears to shift perfectly, but when we did the crank test on the motor, even with the clutch pushed in. The rear wheels spun. Putting on the hand brake and cranking kills the motor instantly. So I guess I'm just here to see if anyone has any advice/thoughts? We are pretty stumped as to what the issue could be, especially since the process was simply taking the old unit out and putting the new one in, no dealing with the clutch/pressure plate ect. Currently I suspect maybe the slave cylinder or the fork inside the transmission, but im not entirely sure. I'll be tearing the car down again to see if I can figure it out, otherwise I'll be taking it to a local shop to have them take a crack at it. For any advice thank you in advance!
2013 BMW 335i xdrive M Performance in Melbourne Red - Injen Intake, VRSF intercooler, VRSF Muffler/Resonator delete, VRSF catless downpipe, CTS charge pipes, SPEC stage 2 clutch, Bootmod3 Stage 2 91 Octane tune, Pure 750 turbocharger, Spool LPFP and HPFP, various carbon aero (One of these things is probably not working)
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2023, 12:25 PM   #2
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Just to confirm: are you replacing the transmission by yourself?

Also - did the 2nd gear synchro fail while the car was in motion? At what speed?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2023, 12:40 PM   #3
JaxD
Probably fixing some broken shit
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Just to confirm: are you replacing the transmission by yourself?

Also - did the 2nd gear synchro fail while the car was in motion? At what speed?
Yes we did the work ourselves, we upgraded the clutch assembly 2 years ago so we didn't think this would be any more challenging. The synchro failed almost a year ago, couldn't tell you the speed but for the past 12 months I've just skipped from 1st to 3rd and 2nd just grinds until it drops in.
2013 BMW 335i xdrive M Performance in Melbourne Red - Injen Intake, VRSF intercooler, VRSF Muffler/Resonator delete, VRSF catless downpipe, CTS charge pipes, SPEC stage 2 clutch, Bootmod3 Stage 2 91 Octane tune, Pure 750 turbocharger, Spool LPFP and HPFP, various carbon aero (One of these things is probably not working)
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2023, 06:30 PM   #4
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxD View Post
Yes we did the work ourselves, we upgraded the clutch assembly 2 years ago so we didn't think this would be any more challenging. The synchro failed almost a year ago, couldn't tell you the speed but for the past 12 months I've just skipped from 1st to 3rd and 2nd just grinds until it drops in.
Wow. These projects require plenty of confidence and a selection of right tools.

Thanks for the additional details. Wish I could help more.
Appreciate 0