F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Turbosmart BOV Kompact EM Plumb Back
ARMA SPEED

04-18-2021, 11:41 PM   #1
XXM235i
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i

Hey guys,

Has anyone installed the Turbosmart BOV Kompact EM Plumb Back VR9?

I recently fitted mine and I'm trying work out if the sound it makes is normal. It's quite a loud chirp sound whenever you build boost and lift off the throttle. I was under the impression the plumb back was quiet and sounded like the stock diverter valve.

All the videos and reviews I've looked up relate to the dual port version and not the plumb back.

I did message Turbosmart directly and sent them a video of the sound and they seem to think it's normal and is due to the plumb backs not flowing as much and so the chirping sound is caused by the air flowing through the smaller passage. This may be correct but I would of thought if that was the case, the standard diverter valve would have done the same?

I've attached a video of the sound. If anyone who's also fitted the plumb back version can comment as to whether this is how theirs sound, that would be great!

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 07:57 AM   #2
435gc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i Gran Coupe xdrive

I don't see any video attached.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 08:38 AM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 435gc View Post
No video showing for me either

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 10:19 AM   #4
n55david
Check out my Youtube @n55david!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i, 2015 X3 x35i

Garage List
2017 m240i xDrive  [0.00]
2015 X3 x35i  [0.00]
2015 335i xdrive  [0.00]
normal
IG: @n55david For pics and updates!
Youtube: @ n55david For videos or Racing etc
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 11:10 AM   #5
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXM235i View Post
Hey guys,

I recently fitted mine and I'm trying work out if the sound it makes is normal. It's quite a loud chirp sound whenever you build boost and lift off the throttle. I was under the impression the plumb back was quiet and sounded like the stock diverter valve.

All the videos and reviews I've looked up relate to the dual port version and not the plumb back.

I did message Turbosmart directly and sent them a video of the sound and they seem to think it's normal and is due to the plumb backs not flowing as much and so the chirping sound is caused by the air flowing through the smaller passage. This may be correct but I would of thought if that was the case, the standard diverter valve would have done the same?

I've attached a video of the sound. If anyone who's also fitted the plumb back version can comment as to whether this is how theirs sound, that would be great!

What you are describing is normal for the Turbosmart Plumb Back model. When you are in Sport Mode and suddenly lift off the throttle the driver will hear what sounds like the second syllable of a whippoorwill bird call. It is a faint sound. I never notice it if the stereo is on. It's the sound of the BOV trimming off just the excess boost.

The driver hears it because the sound is coming from the intake air opening on the driver's side of the engine on the left side of the car.

(Since the Turbosmart Dual Port model is partially vented to the atmosphere, that sound is coming from the right side of the engine when the Turbosmart is mounted next to the turbo. A small amount of that sound may be transmitting through the intake.)

The stock Diverter Valve in these situations often just dumps all the boost causing a delay if the driver jumps back on the throttle because the turbo has to spool back up and get the boost back up to where it was.

This is just one reason why the Turbosmart BOV is an improvement. It keeps the boost and responsiveness right there for the driver!

Hope this helps!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-19-2021, 06:25 PM   #6
XXM235i
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Quote:
No video showing for me either
Sorry, Hopefully it works now!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2021, 06:39 PM   #7
XXM235i
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
Quote:
Hey guys,

What you are describing is normal for the Turbosmart Plumb Back model. When you are in Sport Mode and suddenly lift off the throttle the driver will hear what sounds like the second syllable of a whippoorwill bird call. It is a faint sound. I never notice it if the stereo is on. It's the sound of the BOV trimming off just the excess boost.

The driver hears it because the sound is coming from the intake air opening on the driver's side of the engine on the left side of the car.

(Since the Turbosmart Dual Port model is partially vented to the atmosphere, that sound is coming from the right side of the engine when the Turbosmart is mounted next to the turbo. A small amount of that sound may be transmitting through the intake.)

The stock Diverter Valve in these situations often just dumps all the boost causing a delay if the driver jumps back on the throttle because the turbo has to spool back up and get the boost back up to where it was.

This is just one reason why the Turbosmart BOV is an improvement. It keeps the boost and responsiveness right there for the driver!

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the detailed reply. Yeah that's actually a great description of the sound it makes! Good to hear it's normal. I was just used to the faint psshhh sound of the stock diverter valve and was expecting the turbosmart plumb back to sound similar to that.

Yeah the data logs I've done since fitting it definitely show it holds boost better than the stock one.
Appreciate 1
johnung4528.00
      04-19-2021, 08:21 PM   #8
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Thanks for the detailed reply. Yeah that's actually a great description of the sound it makes! Good to hear it's normal. I was just used to the faint psshhh sound of the stock diverter valve and was expecting the turbosmart plumb back to sound similar to that.

Yeah the data logs I've done since fitting it definitely show it holds boost better than the stock one.
Before and after logs to show the boost holding better?
Appreciate 1
AmuroRay2282.50
      04-20-2021, 03:40 PM   #9
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep

In for logs, please!