F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > bmw maps Next 2018-2 update problem
Extreme Powerhouse

09-16-2018, 12:43 PM   #1
Skeeco
Croatia
Rep
Drives: F30 318d

bmw maps Next 2018-2 update problem

Hello.

I've tried searching the forums but i haven't found anyone with similar problem..

So, I've got 2014 F30 with NBT. I have 2014-1 version of maps and I want to update. I've bought USB with maps and FSC code.

When I insert the usb into the car, i get the message on my display that USB device contains more recent version of navigation data blah blah, and i can click Start update, or Cancel. Of course I click "Start update" and nothing happens.. My display goes back to where it was (radio station list) and that's it. It doesn't ask for a code, it doesn't start copying...

Has anyone encountered similar problem/situation?

USB is 64gb, formatted to NTFS. I've tried copying maps to my computer, reformatting usb to FAT32 or exFAT but then the car doesn't recognize usb at all. Any help would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 02:53 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

What does the developer say? Are you sure it's not downloading in the background?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 02:02 AM   #3
Skeeco
Croatia
Rep

I don't know... how can I check? I can't find anything that could tell me that there is update in progress in the service menu or anywhere else for that matter...
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 11:04 AM   #4
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Gran Turismo (F34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeeco View Post
I don't know... how can I check? I can't find anything that could tell me that there is update in progress in the service menu or anywhere else for that matter...
New maps take some 45 mins to load - you can use the navigation as usual while the maps are transferring, you get a message when all is done.

There is a progress bar somewhere there in the options - click options from the map view and see if you can spot the option there and see if you already have the new version of the map.

Failing that best to contact the provider...
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 01:16 PM   #5
Skeeco
Croatia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-m4n View Post
New maps take some 45 mins to load - you can use the navigation as usual while the maps are transferring, you get a message when all is done.

There is a progress bar somewhere there in the options - click options from the map view and see if you can spot the option there and see if you already have the new version of the map.

Since i can't find progress bar in options, I'll just assume that it's not updating in the background.

Tried calling a "friend" in BMW service, says he hasn't heard of that problem before. He said that i should bring the car to them, but I'm not thrilled about paying for the update twice, as I can imagine that will be the case if i bring it to them..
I have also sent a message to provider, waiting for the answer...

Is update possible any other way than via USB?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 05:37 PM   #6
Jhnblckwood
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 2014 320i xdrive

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-m4n View Post

Since i can't find progress bar in options, I'll just assume that it's not updating in the background.

Tried calling a "friend" in BMW service, says he hasn't heard of that problem before. He said that i should bring the car to them, but I'm not thrilled about paying for the update twice, as I can imagine that will be the case if i bring it to them..
I have also sent a message to provider, waiting for the answer...

Is update possible any other way than via USB?
Pretty sure u can burn to dvd discs
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 09:30 PM   #7
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

DVDs are only 4.7 GB. I'm guessing that's not enough.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2018, 06:16 PM   #8
Jhnblckwood
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
DVDs are only 4.7 GB. I'm guessing that's not enough.
It can b done. Jus use more than one but I do kno it has to b set up correctly so hu knows to look for second dvd instead of usb or whatever.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 12:48 PM   #9
IAmATeaf
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 335i

Garage List
2015 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Dual layer DVD?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 03:41 PM   #10
Jhnblckwood
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmATeaf View Post
Dual layer DVD?
Idk if dual layer would work. The map update u downloaded did come packaged as 4 different usb files numbered 1-4. If so u can edit the one file on each to dvd instead of usb. I'm sure someone else on here knows how to do that.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 12:31 AM   #11
Danneh
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 328i GT

Quote:
Hello.

I've tried searching the forums but i haven't found anyone with similar problem..

So, I've got 2014 F30 with NBT. I have 2014-1 version of maps and I want to update. I've bought USB with maps and FSC code.

When I insert the usb into the car, i get the message on my display that USB device contains more recent version of navigation data blah blah, and i can click Start update, or Cancel. Of course I click "Start update" and nothing happens.. My display goes back to where it was (radio station list) and that's it. It doesn't ask for a code, it doesn't start copying...

USB is 64gb, formatted to NTFS. I've tried copying maps to my computer, reformatting usb to FAT32 or exFAT but then the car doesn't recognize usb at all. Any help would be appreciated.
Quote:
Hello.

When I updated the maps in my '15 F34, I formatted the USB drive to FAT32 using this tool http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/guiformat.exe

Then I copied the updated map files and ran the update after entering the FSC code.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2018, 02:56 AM   #12
Eschmacher
Car Hypochondriac
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport Estoril Blue

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Thinking out loud - fat32 technically supports a maximum partition size of 32GB, hence the name. You can make it work on larger disks, but it tends to act weird. Grab a 32GB usb and try that instead, OP.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 09:58 AM   #13
Skeeco
Croatia
Rep

@Danneh: I've returned the USB drive to seller and I'm waiting for a new one. If it still won't work I'll try reformatting with program you've recommended

@Eschmacher: Yeah, that sounds good, in theory, but maps won't fit on 32gb usb
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 11:35 AM   #14
Skeeco
Croatia
Rep

Ok, so.. if anyone wondered, or experiences the same problem, the problem was faulty usb drive..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 08:58 AM   #15
kkbg
Registered
Rep
Drives: f11

what format is your USB stick? I dont know if my bmw can read ntfs format ...
Appreciate 0