F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > First brake service during my ownership
proTUNING Freaks

08-25-2022, 09:15 PM   #45
_safsf30
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i

I went with the Akebono ceramic pads just recently after the OEM pads reached end-of-life, been great so far.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2022, 09:56 PM   #46
tester2011
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by _safsf30 View Post
I went with the Akebono ceramic pads just recently after the OEM pads reached end-of-life, been great so far.
Thanks for the input! I will just stick with Akebono!
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 12:34 AM   #47
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongoxxx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tester2011 View Post
I am now looking for Hawk 5.0 pads to pair up with the Zimmermans..
Amazon was the best price I could find shipped in Canada.
$350 for the front and rear.

Are you getting the blank Zimmermans or slotted/dimpled?
Avoid dimpled/slotted. They are noisy, tear up pads and have little performance advantage on the street. Plain are fine or full crossdrilled. There's a reason that BMW puts full crossdrilled rotors on M3/M4. They perform the best. Dimpled/slotted is just a BMW marketing ploy for the F3x to sell M Performance Brake kits.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 12:46 AM   #48
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by freakystyly View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
2) So go out and jump in the car in the morning after it's been sitting all night, or after work to go home after it's been sitting all day, and the brake pads are cold. Drive to your first stop sign or first red light, step on the brakes and your car might slide right through.
That's a bit of an exaggeration unless your neighbour decided to slash your brake lines... They wouldn't be allowed to sell them if they were that much of a hazard on the road.

Though, I have noticed a maybe 10-20% reduction in initial bite when cold with my Akebonos. It's surprising how quickly you adapt and learn to drive under the new conditions. First stop sign out of my road is on a downhill... I'm sure once the snow starts falling, I won't be bouncing off the curb trying to slow the car down.

I agree though, if you are looking for the best performance, don't go with ceramic.
Who exactly is going to stop anyone from selling them? Technically they function as brake pads. But I'm not going to expect my wife, or kids or anyone else who drives the car to "adapt" their driving/braking to make up for poor ceramic pads when they first get into the car.

During the early days of Covid when things were at their worst, my wife decided to drive straight through 1,200 miles to visit her father, rather than fly. Her stock brakes were in perfect condition but I wanted piece of mind that she'd be safe on that long trip by herself. Without telling her, I installed Hawk 5.0 pads on her car. She never notices upgrades like that but she came back asking what I had done to her brakes. She said that they were better than they'd ever been when her car was new.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 12:53 AM   #49
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongoxxx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tester2011 View Post
I am now looking for Hawk 5.0 pads to pair up with the Zimmermans..
Amazon was the best price I could find shipped in Canada.
$350 for the front and rear.

Are you getting the blank Zimmermans or slotted/dimpled?
Amazon doesn't always equate to low prices. There are lots of sellers on Amazon selling all kinds of goods at huge markups.

Hawk 5.0 are selling as low as ~$200 or so depending on model for all four in the US. I have heard that it's screwed up trying to ship things to Canada. But Hawk 5.0 pads are made in Ohio. It can't be too difficult to obtain them.
Appreciate 1
Wires1644.00
      08-27-2022, 01:55 PM   #50
tester2011
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Just got back from BMWizard. What a nice and honest individual. I actually did not need my rotors changed at all. It was just pads all around and the two sensors. Costed $380. Went with Akebonos feels good so far.
Appreciate 0