F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > xDrive All-Wheel Drive Discussions > Charge Pipe and catted Down pipe
GetBMWParts

04-12-2021, 04:34 AM   #1
Jalenstone4
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320xi 2014

Charge Pipe and catted Down pipe

So I own a 2014 320xi I'm looking to do a few mods and I recently just ordered a MRST cool air intake and I've been looking into Downpipes and I have come across one that I believe will work very well once I get the tune so I can clear the CEL. But a buddy of mine the other day started talking to me about charge pipes, and I am unfamiliar with them, I did some research and it sounds like they aren't meant for performance which is what I am going for, but I guess my question is can I run a charge pipe and a catted Downpipe at the same time or is it one or the other? I am still a little confused on the purpose of the charge pipe which is why I ask this question.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 08:19 AM   #2
frchdragon
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M4

From reading tons of posts here is the order people do things:
- upgrade charge pipe because it is plastic and more boost = boom (of course there is always someone who says his never broke)
- Get MHD or BM3 to tune the car to Stage 1
- Get an upgraded intercooler for cooler intake temp
- Get a Downpipe to get ready for Stage 2 or to make a lot of Burble noise.

Then you can read about the 2 companies that gives you a warranty of no CEL with their catted downpipe or the fact that BM3 will remove the CEL if you don't have a cat.

I am not talking about the intake because they don't filter the dust as well and they increase the HP very little, they are mainly to increase the noise.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2021, 03:43 PM   #3
Kaell311
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 435ixgc

Mine burst completelh stock. Have warranty so replaced with another plastic one but really wanted a metal one instead.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 03:04 PM   #4
Serial BoX
Poor 4 series
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 430 iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalenstone4 View Post
So I own a 2014 320xi I'm looking to do a few mods and I recently just ordered a MRST cool air intake and I've been looking into Downpipes and I have come across one that I believe will work very well once I get the tune so I can clear the CEL. But a buddy of mine the other day started talking to me about charge pipes, and I am unfamiliar with them, I did some research and it sounds like they aren't meant for performance which is what I am going for, but I guess my question is can I run a charge pipe and a catted Downpipe at the same time or is it one or the other? I am still a little confused on the purpose of the charge pipe which is why I ask this question.
if your just going to try and open it up a bit, there is no reason to really over think it. Any intake will give you a very minimal boost in performance, but it will make your turbo sound much better. The charge pipe is plastic on our BMW's. Even in stock cars they have been known to blow under boost. Upgrade yours to a metal one and get that extra peace of mind. And as for the catless downpipe, thats where you going to feel a little bit more on the butt dyno. None of them will not throw a CEL, even the one's that claim they wont, have and probably will. The ECU's are just too fine tuned now to look for exhuast faults with todays emission standards. Since it sounds like your keeping it simple, go with a JB4 tune, they are good and conservative. You'll be able to run a stage II tune, with those basic bolt on modifications and 91/93 octane gas.

My car throws the CEL for catless downpipe every 200-500 miles, depends on the driving conditions, weather etc etc. But whats nice about the JB4 is you can CLEAR the code yourself, it won't do it automatically, but it maybe takes 30 seconds once you learn how to use it.

If you plan on going more in depth with the car later, don't get the JB4, research Bootmod3, its a little more indepth, can clear CEL's has different tunes etc etc. I wish I would have gone for BM3. After you put a catless downpipe on, our cars are pretty loud for the first 30 seconds for the cold startup feature, with a BM3 tuning program you can disable the cold-startup feature. (i wish i had known this before i ordered by JB4 which does not have that capability)

good luck
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2022, 06:05 AM   #5
alozcarney
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw m3

In my opinion and based on my experience with the car, you will get more performance benefits from the non-racing downpipe. This reduces turbo latency and produces smoother power levels throughout the power range.
https://cararac.com/blog/charge-pipe...functions.html

Last edited by alozcarney; 03-04-2022 at 02:45 AM..
Appreciate 0