F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Anyone desperate enough to try eco pro ???
Extreme Powerhouse

09-29-2021, 07:06 AM   #45
f30paul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 330e

Having had to live without any charging facility whilst I wait for a replacement 330e charger, I've mainly been in Eco-Pro most of the time.

Reason is that in the 330e, the comfort mode also aggressively recharges the battery up to 15% max. So for those first few miles the economy tanks, after that it's quite normal. Eco Pro on the other hand leaves the battery alone so you immediately get 'normal' efficiency. It's not doing too bad so far, I'm on target to get 400 (or slightly more) out of a 40L tank.

New charging cable comes today, so hopefully I can make the rest of the tank stretch out for another week to let the panic buying pass by!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 03:08 AM   #46
Fizzy Duck
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E88 135i

I drive round in Eco Pro most of the time. Gets quite addictive seeing the extra miles increasing as you drive more eco friendly

If I need to overtake, I knock the gearbox over to sport and it takes off quickly :-)
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 04:13 AM   #47
BIFCAIDS
Bird Flu and Cat Aids combined
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 340i M-Sport+ MPPSK E92 M3

I think a lot of the difference is the fact that most people who don't use it have a X35i or X40i and those that use it the most own and X20d.
      09-30-2021, 04:35 AM   #48
fuzzybunny
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Orange F33 435dx Convertible

Is eco-pro more effective on petrol or diesel engines?
I haven't found much difference with my diesel on a regular 200-mile motorway journey comparing eco pro and comfort, I reckon there is a mpg gain of around 3% with eco-pro.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 05:36 AM   #49
Eddamoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 430dX

I quite liked Eco with the Alpina gearbox map, but the problem is now I have XHP you can't reconfigure the shift points which is a shame.

I love the coast mode but the hills around where I live it's pretty useless as the car just runs away!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 05:49 AM   #50
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzybunny View Post
Is eco-pro more effective on petrol or diesel engines?
I haven't found much difference with my diesel on a regular 200-mile motorway journey comparing eco pro and comfort, I reckon there is a mpg gain of around 3% with eco-pro.
A 3% gain is really a good figure. If the manufacturers get a 3% improvement across their car fleet, it makes a massive difference to efficiency targets.

I've read several studies on the 'Efficiency' theme. Petrol vs. diesel savings depend on use. For example, a petrol benefits more from 'idle off' devices. A diesel usually benefits more from keeping the revs lower. It gets a bit complex of where the savings are the greatest. Latest engine designs confuse it even more.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 10:07 AM   #51
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddamoo View Post
I quite liked Eco with the Alpina gearbox map, but the problem is now I have XHP you can't reconfigure the shift points which is a shame.

I love the coast mode but the hills around where I live it's pretty useless as the car just runs away!
You cannot reconfigure the shift points with xHP!?

And why would you need to, if you retain the stock ones?
      09-30-2021, 01:05 PM   #52
fuzzybunny
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
A 3% gain is really a good figure. If the manufacturers get a 3% improvement across their car fleet, it makes a massive difference to efficiency targets.

I've read several studies on the 'Efficiency' theme. Petrol vs. diesel savings depend on use. For example, a petrol benefits more from 'idle off' devices. A diesel usually benefits more from keeping the revs lower. It gets a bit complex of where the savings are the greatest. Latest engine designs confuse it even more.
Thanks, Pete.
The main thing about eco-pro is the way it drops revs when cruising or going at a steady rate. I understand why, but it's unnerving when you try to accelerate, had a nasty incident last year which put me off. Rent a goat says pop it into comfort or sport before acceleration, but a bit of a faff, I'd rather take the hit and keep it in comfort or sport.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2021, 01:49 PM   #53
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post

Thanks, Pete.
The main thing about eco-pro is the way it drops revs when cruising or going at a steady rate. I understand why, but it's unnerving when you try to accelerate, had a nasty incident last year which put me off. Rent a goat says pop it into comfort or sport before acceleration, but a bit of a faff, I'd rather take the hit and keep it in comfort or sport.
Heard of kick-down? It works in EcoPro as well and is meant as a safety feature. No need of Comfort or anything else.
      09-30-2021, 05:27 PM   #54
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, Pete.
We need to remember that even in Comfort mode the real-time driver influenced adaptations will mean the drivetrain will settle in a relaxed state, if we are just trundling along at steady speeds. To wake the transmission up, we do need an input or two. That's why it can be the best move to flick the shifter to M/S to break the adaptations, flick it back to D once you make the manoeuvre.

I do that in my 535i, even when I'm in Normal mode. It is the fastest way to wake up the transmission, for an over-take, if you have been trundling along in traffic flows.
Appreciate 1
JR16641146.50
      09-30-2021, 10:25 PM   #55
G50
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spangle View Post
Well on the drive home today activated eco pro on the dual carriage way section of the drive home 'spine road' and according to the gauge saved 0.5 miles of fuel

It is as said a bit 'lack luster' and when you are planning an overtake you do have to wait for that kick down but it will come

When I got to around town I had to switch back to comfort

But I'm a bit confused over the coasting thing

When I toke my foot off the gas before a roundabout it acted as before engine shutdown and become a revving load dropping a gear as revs became to low but I see talks of the efficiency dynamics pulls the clutches so their is no engine load and you coast along at a constant speed including the battery re-coup wouldn't happen?
For coasting to work, first of all you need to make sure your car has this function. LCI only on F30 I believe.

Also, on my g30 the car assesses speed limits and upcoming roundabouts to make a decision on whether to coast or not. If you are doing 40mph and 300m from a roundabout and a 30 zone, the car recognises this and doesn't coast, since your speed needs to decrease and its more efficient to decrease speed using engine braking. Coasting is for situations where you would like to maintain speed on a decline. I use it for acceleration on long declines also, its great on Windy Hill on the M62.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2021, 06:21 AM   #56
Spangle
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '14 F31 Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by G50 View Post
For coasting to work, first of all you need to make sure your car has this function. LCI only on F30 I believe.

Also, on my g30 the car assesses speed limits and upcoming roundabouts to make a decision on whether to coast or not. If you are doing 40mph and 300m from a roundabout and a 30 zone, the car recognises this and doesn't coast, since your speed needs to decrease and its more efficient to decrease speed using engine braking. Coasting is for situations where you would like to maintain speed on a decline. I use it for acceleration on long declines also, its great on Windy Hill on the M62.
Think mine is pre-LCI as its a 2014 F31

Sounds like the BMW black box is a very clever box and it makes sense if your approaching a slower area it'll slow you down
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 04:36 AM   #57
SuperHamz
Major
Rep
Drives: F31 328i M Sport

I'll be the first to admit that I don't really know how the Eco Pro system works, and I've never used it in local driving apart from when I've had zero range showing.

I did however, use it this weekend on a 378 mile round to Manchester. Ignoring local driving, according to Eco Pro I gained about 12miles of range. I don't know what percentage that would be as I don't know what basis I should calculate that off. I do know however, that my total range was extended from an average of 320miles to a full tank (local driving) to 435miles to a full tank.

Now, this is completely unscientific, but in previous trips to Manchester of similar distance, I've had about the same range shown on my trip computer - around the 430miles and I've driven those miles in Comfort or Sport - not sure how much Eco Pro has actually contributed to overall range.
      10-04-2021, 10:39 AM   #58
fuzzybunny
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhigh View Post
Heard of kick-down? It works in EcoPro as well and is meant as a safety feature. No need of Comfort or anything else.
Yes of course, but still a distinctive delay while the revs catch up! I'll stick to Comfort and Sport.
Went up north last week in Comfort, 220 motorway miles, stuck to the speed limit, (with difficulty), and got an impressive 54mpg on the dial. Amazing for a 313bhp, 3 litre xdrive with an extra 250Kg, (because of the folding roof!)
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 02:20 PM   #59
goram
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d xDrive Touring

Quote:
Yes of course, but still a distinctive delay while the revs catch up! I'll stick to Comfort and Sport.
Went up north last week in Comfort, 220 motorway miles, stuck to the speed limit, (with difficulty), and got an impressive 54mpg on the dial. Amazing for a 313bhp, 3 litre xdrive with an extra 250Kg, (because of the folding roof!)
The only way I get 50+ in my 335d is on on the motorways being worked on with reduced speed limits. What is your secret!?
Appreciate 1
cramsnik388.50
      10-04-2021, 02:41 PM   #60
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by goram View Post
The only way I get 50+ in my 335d is on on the motorways being worked on with reduced speed limits. What is your secret!?
It will be the cruising speed and acceleration rates.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 02:42 PM   #61
winther1
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i Gran Coupe with MPPSK

Using it on motorways with the occasional switch to sport+ if I'm going through a tunnel.
Motorway driving is boring and the drone from the downpipe with valves open gets a bit tedious.
Most of my journeys are city driving - had a 1 hour motorway trip yesterday and fuel economy went from 19.4 all the way up to 19.3 mpg
      10-05-2021, 02:14 AM   #62
ArthurKing
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D F30

Tried it this morning.

Never again
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 10:38 AM   #63
cramsnik
Crustacean denier
Rep
Drives: M3LR

Quote:
Best I've ever seen is around 43-44mpg and that's when driving at the speed limit in eco-pro. Genuinely staggered by that 54mpg
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 11:42 AM   #64
fuzzybunny
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramsnik View Post
Best I've ever seen is around 43-44mpg and that's when driving at the speed limit in eco-pro. Genuinely staggered by that 54mpg
So was I, mind you the dial always reads high. I keep a check on fuelly and after this run my fill up following it was 50.4 mpg that's my highest ever! Normal average is 38 mpg. I'd just filled up with motorway services, expensive fuel, so was taking it easy.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 04:08 PM   #65
Spangle
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '14 F31 Touring

During the trip home from work tonight I can confirm there is kickdown even a double kickdown

As long as you wait long enough
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2021, 06:07 PM   #66
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cramsnik View Post
In fairness I managed to get 50mpg out of my 335d a couple of times without busing eco pro. Usually in the 40s with mainly motorway driving at a steadyish 75- 80. Still think that’s pretty impressive with the available performance.