F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Blind Spot Warning Question
GetBMWParts

06-10-2012, 05:00 PM   #1
phennighausen
Private
Rep
Drives: Porsche Boxster, BMW E90 328i

Blind Spot Warning Question

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hey Guys,

I have a 328i sport line with the driver assistance pack. Since having it I've been annoyed by how conservative the blind spot warning system is. Meaning that as I pass cars and the light comes on indicating they're in my blind spot the light doesn't go out until long after I could've already merged back into that lane.

For ex. I'm passing a car and the BSM indicator light comes on and I continue passing until the car in question is entirely in my rear view mirror, the light is still on in the wing mirror. It gets super annoying because if I try to move over it vibrates the steering wheel even though there's plenty of space.

Has anyone else noticed this, we have multiple Porsches and Audis and they all seem to be much more accurate. Perhaps a software update?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 05:16 PM   #2
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
Yeah I noticed the same thing, but it doesn't really bother me. It's true, though, it does show the indicator for a very long time even while the car you gained on is long time behind you.

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 07:31 PM   #3
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

This thread reminds me of a thread started quite some years ago on E90POST concerning correct positioning of exterior wing mirrors to eliminate the 'blind spot' between interior rear vision mirror and the exterior mirrors.

I implemented the suggested setup and have never had an instance whereby I have a blind spot. Perhaps the thread should be brought forward to this forum as it has been very useful for me.

Still, glad to know that your lane change warning system works so well - perhaps too well, as you have suggested.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2012, 09:13 PM   #4
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by phennighausen
Hey Guys,

I have a 328i sport line with the driver assistance pack. Since having it I've been annoyed by how conservative the blind spot warning system is. Meaning that as I pass cars and the light comes on indicating they're in my blind spot the light doesn't go out until long after I could've already merged back into that lane.

For ex. I'm passing a car and the BSM indicator light comes on and I continue passing until the car in question is entirely in my rear view mirror, the light is still on in the wing mirror. It gets super annoying because if I try to move over it vibrates the steering wheel even though there's plenty of space.

Has anyone else noticed this, we have multiple Porsches and Audis and they all seem to be much more accurate. Perhaps a software update?
The blind spot detection's biggest feature is to detect cars on either side that are somewhat far away, but are traveling at a very high rate of speed in comparison to your vehicle.

That is where you get clobbered and hurt.

In order for the long range, high speed function to work, you will find the system wants a truly clear lane for routine lane changing operations at speed. It is a little give for a lot of take.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 07:43 AM   #5
shoptb
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G01 X3 m40i

^ +1

When designing a safety system like the BSM, the engineers have to take all sorts of driving habits into account. At the end of the day, it's better to be safe than sorry as predicting what the other drivers on the road are going to do is impossible. Glad to hear that it's identifying the vehicles though -- it would definitely be worse if it wasn't doing that.