F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > F30 Projector Angel Eye Headlights!
Studio RSR

02-04-2019, 05:04 PM   #1981
dotcom
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 328i xDrive

Am I the only one here who's had a bad experience with these lights? I bought them back in the summer of 2016 and they've been nothing but a pain in the butt ever since. The left angel eye turned itself off on the way home after getting them installed. My first drive with the headlights and I already had a problem. Not a good omen. I contacted USR and they sent me a replacement module which fixed the issue. Unfortunately, the module could not be replaced without taking off the entire headlight so I basically had to pay my mechanic twice to install these lights.

I also noticed that the beam cutoff is horrendous and could not be fixed no matter which guide I followed. There are some jagged edges at the top of the light pattern which could not be remedied regardless of how I adjusted the bulbs up/down/left/right or by reseating them. I fiddled with this countless times and the edges persisted. Also, visibility is terrible when you turn around dark corners at night. You can't adjust the beam left/right that much so you wind up having these blind spots immediately to the left and right of your windshield. It's almost unsafe to use these headlights for their intended purpose, i.e. lighting up the road in front of you.

The final straw for me was the "left turn signal malfunction" warning. I googled it and found that other people were having the same problem. I followed somebody's youtube video guide where they removed the turn signal bulb and gently pulled out the metal tabs on the side of the housing as well as the metal tabs inside the headlights themselves. I did this and the problem went away. For 2 days. Then the error came back. So I adjusted the tabs again, except this time I pulled out them out a little further. It worked for 1 use before the error popped back up on my dashboard. I gave up and decided to just live with it. It was a problem for a few months and then it randomly started working again a few weeks ago and the error went away. It magically fixed itself. I couldn't figure these headlights out.

And that was when I decided to get rid of them. These headlights were a ticking timebomb. There was no telling what the next issue was going to be and I didn't want to stick around to find out. I paid to have these installed/uninstalled three times. I paid more to my mechanic than I did for the lights themselves.

I stuck with these lights for way too long because they honestly looked great...during the day. My BMW looked way more aggressive and mean than it does with the halogen lights. I also loved seeing the reflection of the angel eyes in other people's cars. However, it wasn't worth sacrificing functionality for aesthetics in this case.

Lesson learned - don't buy "cheap" aftermarket parts and buy a BMW with exactly the options you want.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 08:44 AM   #1982
herculeus
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 328i M Sport

Well, after what you just said it seems I may have to sacrifice aesthetics and just go with an HID/LED so I can see better at night and have better visibility.

Thanks for the review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotcom View Post
Am I the only one here who's had a bad experience with these lights? I bought them back in the summer of 2016 and they've been nothing but a pain in the butt ever since. The left angel eye turned itself off on the way home after getting them installed. My first drive with the headlights and I already had a problem. Not a good omen. I contacted USR and they sent me a replacement module which fixed the issue. Unfortunately, the module could not be replaced without taking off the entire headlight so I basically had to pay my mechanic twice to install these lights.

I also noticed that the beam cutoff is horrendous and could not be fixed no matter which guide I followed. There are some jagged edges at the top of the light pattern which could not be remedied regardless of how I adjusted the bulbs up/down/left/right or by reseating them. I fiddled with this countless times and the edges persisted. Also, visibility is terrible when you turn around dark corners at night. You can't adjust the beam left/right that much so you wind up having these blind spots immediately to the left and right of your windshield. It's almost unsafe to use these headlights for their intended purpose, i.e. lighting up the road in front of you.

The final straw for me was the "left turn signal malfunction" warning. I googled it and found that other people were having the same problem. I followed somebody's youtube video guide where they removed the turn signal bulb and gently pulled out the metal tabs on the side of the housing as well as the metal tabs inside the headlights themselves. I did this and the problem went away. For 2 days. Then the error came back. So I adjusted the tabs again, except this time I pulled out them out a little further. It worked for 1 use before the error popped back up on my dashboard. I gave up and decided to just live with it. It was a problem for a few months and then it randomly started working again a few weeks ago and the error went away. It magically fixed itself. I couldn't figure these headlights out.

And that was when I decided to get rid of them. These headlights were a ticking timebomb. There was no telling what the next issue was going to be and I didn't want to stick around to find out. I paid to have these installed/uninstalled three times. I paid more to my mechanic than I did for the lights themselves.

I stuck with these lights for way too long because they honestly looked great...during the day. My BMW looked way more aggressive and mean than it does with the halogen lights. I also loved seeing the reflection of the angel eyes in other people's cars. However, it wasn't worth sacrificing functionality for aesthetics in this case.

Lesson learned - don't buy "cheap" aftermarket parts and buy a BMW with exactly the options you want.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 05:20 PM   #1983
viajealmundo
Private
Rep
Drives: F32 428xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotcom View Post

I was just looking over this thread because they seemed like a great buy. My BMW came with Xenons stock but my friend is looking to swap the halogens.

dotcom, I hate to hear your story. It seems like all the money spent would be better for stock Xenon or LED headlights from BMW. I have usually heard good reviews for depo, so thank you for sharing this.

I know you had a bad experience with these -- but any plans to save up and buy OEM? I am skeptical given the price... but they do look really good.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 08:17 AM   #1984
gizmo1908
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F30 320i

anyone fitted the Hella's?

they cost more than the depo but i understand that the quality is also better.

hope the cutoff line is better than the depo's.
i hate the look of the cuttoff line so i wont be buying the depo's.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 02:25 PM   #1985
herculeus
Rep

Where have u read the quality is better?

I can’t decide what to get.... there’s the Depos, Eagle eyes sold by protuning, or the Hellas which I’m going to do some research on now. I just want to get rid of these stock lights, they blow

Scratch the eagle eyes from pro tuning, I looked up their reviews on facebook, place is a joke it seems like.

Where would u order the Hellas from?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo1908 View Post

I just wan
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2019, 08:14 PM   #1986
sgimips
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 540d

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpjustinn View Post
sgimips Did you get these installed? I had a question on the fitment of the LEDs for the low beams. Were you able to fit everything inside the housing?

I have an HID kit for mine which I haven't installed yet, but I would have to drill holes in the back cover and run the wires through. It seems like there's less wiring/equipment with the LED bulbs, so I'm thinking about going that route if everything can be crammed inside. Although, would there be any heat issues by doing that?
I was able to fit everything inside using LED kits. It was a bit of a challenge for the high beam since the wire clip has to be bent around the heat sink for the LED but it is do-able. I should have my car back from the shop this week with the lights installed.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 04:42 AM   #1987
gizmo1908
Private
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by herculeus View Post
Where have u read the quality is better?

I can’t decide what to get.... there’s the Depos, Eagle eyes sold by protuning, or the Hellas which I’m going to do some research on now. I just want to get rid of these stock lights, they blow

Scratch the eagle eyes from pro tuning, I looked up their reviews on facebook, place is a joke it seems like.

Where would u order the Hellas from?
Quote:

I just wan
Hella makes oem headlights. So its oem quality. But i think im going for the xenon retrofit. Oem headlights with oem xenon. I just dont like the output of the depo's.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 03:12 PM   #1988
herculeus
Rep

Where are you getting them from and how much

Quote:
Hella makes oem headlights. So its oem quality. But i think im going for the xenon retrofit. Oem headlights with oem xenon. I just dont like the output of the depo's.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 03:04 AM   #1989
gizmo1908
Private
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Where are you getting them from and how much

Quote:
Private message
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 09:28 AM   #1990
herculeus
Rep

Thanks for the PM. Do You live in the UK? Wonder how much shipping is going to be.

I live in south Florida and I called a local shop. They informed me that they have done a couple headlight upgrades before, and the only one that was successful was the Depo Headlights from Bimmian. They said that Bimmian has excellent customer Service and their Depos are A grade or something while there are other Depos that aren’t.

Can anyone confirm or deny this about Bimmians?

The Hellas do look very good.

Quote:
Private message
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 10:20 AM   #1991
gizmo1908
Private
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the PM. Do You live in the UK? Wonder how much shipping is going to be.

I live in south Florida and I called a local shop. They informed me that they have done a couple headlight upgrades before, and the only one that was successful was the Depo Headlights from Bimmian. They said that Bimmian has excellent customer Service and their Depos are A grade or something while there are other Depos that aren’t.

Can anyone confirm or deny this about Bimmians?

The Hellas do look very good.

Quote:
Private message
No i'm from holland.

I dont know either. I'm still thinking of oem xenon so dont know if i will buy these.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 07:31 PM   #1992
nard-dog
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i

@gizmo1908 pm me also, thanks
      02-17-2019, 12:04 PM   #1993
Ghöst
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i XDrive

Can anybody recommend a good led kit to use for the low beam in the depos? I had them put in yesterday and even the “bright white” halogens are too yellow for me.

Any help is much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2019, 09:17 PM   #1994
southbay82
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 328ix

Garage List
Wanted to share my DEPO job to the group

This took about 3-4 hours to complete, mostly learning curve. I was able to take this on without the need to remove wheels. A few turns of the wheel to get at the various fasteners was all that was needed. The lighting is great, I can make my peace with the cutoff because these lights are so much better than the original Halogens.

Not sure if I will really do the HID or LED upgrade on these, the lighting thus far is satisfactory and the angel eyes make me so proud every time I see them.

Big thanks to Bryan @ Kies Motorsports for the original how-to video on this job.

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 11:41 AM   #1995
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 M Sport

Garage List
I'd like to add another completed install! After months of dreading this, I finally got around to finishing this project. I also did it without removing the wheels, as the jack my dad had was too tall to fit under the car.

The hardest part of the install for me was getting the dang bumper back on. I figured out it was because the foam piece on the bumper was attached to the cover (it was held in place by the screws from the license plate frame [dang CPO!]... not sure if this is different on cars without the frame). The solution was to take the foam piece off the cover and attach it to the car first, and then I was able to align the cover correctly.

Sadly, I did scratch the passenger side headlight a bit in fighting with the bumper cover, but luckily it's not very noticeable unless you're up close and since my CPO has other minor cosmetic damages around the car, I don't feel so bad.

Regardless, I'm extremely happy with the look and quality of the new lights so far. It's a huge upgrade from the halogen reflectors, and I get all giddy when I walk up to the car and unlock it! I went with an LED low beam setup from Amazon, I'll leave a link below. I took some pics of the cutoff after aiming. I got it as clean as I could. It's not terrible.

LED Low Beam: https://amzn.to/2EguetX
Attached Images

02-19-2019, 12:21 PM   #1996
Ghöst
Rep

Looks great! I get stoked when I hit the unlock button every time too! Haha

and thanks for the link for the lights - I ordered and should be here today.

I’m having some trouble adjusting the beam pattern. What should the optimal look like and what’s the best way to adjust the vertical with them already installed?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 01:12 PM   #1997
QuikSilver_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 F36 M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghöst View Post
Looks great! I get stoked when I hit the unlock button every time too! Haha

and thanks for the link for the lights - I ordered and should be here today.

I’m having some trouble adjusting the beam pattern. What should the optimal look like and what’s the best way to adjust the vertical with them already installed?
I aimed them in a parking garage after the first night, because they were way too low, but I think I aimed them too high, so I'll need to adjust them again. I was going to check out the video from Kies Motorsports on this post: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...postcount=1907
      02-19-2019, 01:55 PM   #1998
gizmo1908
Private
Netherlands
Rep

Why do you do that yourself? Most garages do it for free in holland. Otherwise you pay 10 euros.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 04:01 PM   #1999
Ghöst
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpjustinn View Post
I aimed them in a parking garage after the first night, because they were way too low, but I think I aimed them too high, so I'll need to adjust them again. I was going to check out the video from Kies Motorsports on this post: https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...postcount=1907
Awesome! Much appreciated for the link.

Going to do this tonight when I’m home after installing the LED’s. Let’s hope UPS gets to my place before 9pm today. Lol
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 06:29 PM   #2000
sgimips
Private
United_States
Rep

Just got my car back from the shop! No issues with the install and everything works. I'll post some pics of the beam pattern and with the OEM LED fogs on when it gets dark. Looks amazing! I hope they last.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 12:53 PM   #2001
sgimips
Private
United_States
Rep

Here's some night time shots of the DEPO lights compared to my M5's OEM LED headlights.

Also a shot of the front of my F30 with BMW OEM LED fog lights and the DEPO headlights with BroView LED modules installed. The color match is very close.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      02-21-2019, 12:08 PM   #2002
ithk21620
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgimips View Post
Here's some night time shots of the DEPO lights compared to my M5's OEM LED headlights.

Also a shot of the front of my F30 with BMW OEM LED fog lights and the DEPO headlights with BroView LED modules installed. The color match is very close.
What BroView LED's did you use? Have a link?
Appreciate 0