F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Buying help for F31 xd
GetBMWParts

03-08-2021, 12:42 PM   #1
CianoAmerico
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Soon a F31, for now Jeep XJ

Buying help for F31 xd

So I'm down to 2 cars almost the same price. Almost the same options only the color and the interior trims are different.
One is 10K miles but not CPO and the other is 44K miles CPO. The CPO has a better color and I can walk to the dealer from my home.

As long as warranty goes they will be covered for the same amount of time, but 30.000 miles difference is a lot. The trim inside of the CPO are not prefect, there are some scratches and one by the idrive knob is right in front of your eyes. Is an easy fix but still is a fix.

I don't buy car very often so I'm pretty clueless on the negotiation part, is it reasonable to think that even if CPO the car should be cheaper ?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 12:51 PM   #2
BimR
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 328

CPO warranty is longer so you pay more. As for negotiation, anything is negotiable. I personally prefer lower miles to CPO with 30k more miles... but that's always up for debate.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 12:53 PM   #3
Psi5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW F32 440i

So many variables to consider. Every used car is less than perfect. All things equal, I'd get the car with fewer miles unless the color is a non-starter. Remember that you can change the interior trim pretty easily. Where the dealer is located is irrelevant.

That said, it is your $. Get the one that you will enjoy more for the longest period of time. That's why we drive BMWs, right?
2013 Mazda 3 6MT
2008 Honda Oddyssey
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2021, 01:27 PM   #4
Pauloxxi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014-320Xi / 2017-330Xi

Garage List
I tend to go lowest mileage, however you should ponder vehicle year.
For example, no CPO is 4 years warranty from data in service, while the CPO get one additional year (total 5).
Therefore a 2017 CPO has warranty until 2022, which would be the same as going with no CPO 2018.
You have to ponder lot of variables, does both have the accessories you are looking for such as navigation, lane departure, cams, etc...

It is hard to beat a low mileage... a 10,000 miles is almost like a brand new car.
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2021, 01:50 PM   #5
CianoAmerico
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauloxxi View Post
I tend to go lowest mileage, however you should ponder vehicle year.
For example, no CPO is 4 years warranty from data in service, while the CPO get one additional year (total 5).
Therefore a 2017 CPO has warranty until 2022, which would be the same as going with no CPO 2018.
You have to ponder lot of variables, does both have the accessories you are looking for such as navigation, lane departure, cams, etc...

It is hard to beat a low mileage... a 10,000 miles is almost like a brand new car.
They are both 2018, accessories are the same apart from the one with 10k sensatec Black-sapphire Metallic and the other Leder Dakota Mineral-grau Metallic and is the darkest color I would like to go.

Hard to beat a low mileage I know.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 04:39 PM   #6
Elvisfan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 430ix convertible MGM

We don’t know when the cars were put in service. They could be a year apart. Makes a difference for warranty. When do the warranties expire? The CPO could be expiring the same time. One could have free maintenance left one probably doesn’t. I’d go for lowest mileage.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 05:57 PM   #7
CianoAmerico
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvisfan View Post
We don’t know when the cars were put in service. They could be a year apart. Makes a difference for warranty. When do the warranties expire? The CPO could be expiring the same time. One could have free maintenance left one probably doesn’t. I’d go for lowest mileage.
CPO expires on October 2022
The other one April 2022
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 06:07 PM   #8
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Are they both at BMW dealers? For the CPO car get the dealer to provide you with the CPO Inspection Checklist AND the work order showing what they did to bring the car to CPO standards. What is the condition of the tires on each car?

Personally, I’d rather have leather than leatherette, but low mileage is a big attraction.

If you’d like to post links to the two cars we can take a look at them and let you know if we see any red flags.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

03-08-2021, 06:23 PM   #9
CianoAmerico
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Are they both at BMW dealers? For the CPO car get the dealer to provide you with the CPO Inspection Checklist AND the work order showing what they did to bring the car to CPO standards. What is the condition of the tires on each car?

Personally, I’d rather have leather than leatherette, but low mileage is a big attraction.

If you’d like to post links to the two cars we can take a look at them and let you know if we see any red flags.
The one with lower miles is at jeep dealer
On the CPO tires are new, unfortunately runflat.
The one at the jeep dealer I think are on the original tires still.

I will ask for the work order and the CPO checklist.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 06:32 PM   #10
whatevs
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 bmw 328

I wouldve said CPO, but mileage difference is huge. 10K is practically brand new, and I'd go for that as opposed to 30K CPO (though Ive always bought CPO only) if they are the same price. Again, I hope you are doing your due diligence of checking carfax, and having the car inspected by a BMW dealer or a reputable Indy.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2021, 11:59 PM   #11
capt_slow
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328d

Garage List
At 10K, the car might still be in factory warranty and/or qualify for the BMW extended warranty. Also bear in mind that the car should have had only 1 service by now.

If the 10K car is this one:
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

The CarFax shows a few interesting things:
  • Two owners
  • BMW changed oil at 1 year (expected)
  • Selling (Jeep) dealer changed oil

I'm personally a fan of Sensatec as its more durable than genuine leather. If you go with this car, take it to a BMW Indy shop to get an oil change, you dont know if the Jeep dealer used the correct oil.

For the CPO car, I'm guessing it's this one:
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...Type=spotlight

Looks like it's been regularly maintained at the same dealership since Day 1. Also, no front plate and no holes in the bumper. If this is the right car, contact Greg Poland at the dealership, he's an active member of the BMW community.

If you REALLY want to stand out, get this unicorn:
https://www.centurywestbmw.com/inven...8j1c39ha018446

Last edited by capt_slow; 03-10-2021 at 12:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 05:29 PM   #12
CianoAmerico
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_slow View Post
At 10K, the car might still be in factory warranty and/or qualify for the BMW extended warranty. Also bear in mind that the car should have had only 1 service by now.

If the 10K car is this one:
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing

The CarFax shows a few interesting things:
  • Two owners
  • BMW changed oil at 1 year (expected)
  • Selling (Jeep) dealer changed oil

I'm personally a fan of Sensatec as its more durable than genuine leather. If you go with this car, take it to a BMW Indy shop to get an oil change, you dont know if the Jeep dealer used the correct oil.

For the CPO car, I'm guessing it's this one:
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...Type=spotlight

Looks like it's been regularly maintained at the same dealership since Day 1. Also, no front plate and no holes in the bumper. If this is the right car, contact Greg Poland at the dealership, he's an active member of the BMW community.

If you REALLY want to stand out, get this unicorn:
https://www.centurywestbmw.com/inven...8j1c39ha018446
The wife said absolutely not on the purple one !

I don't mind the sensatec but the black metallic is a non starter, so I think I'll go with the other one. That is the car I will look for Greg !
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2021, 06:39 PM   #13
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CianoAmerico View Post
The wife said absolutely not on the purple one !

I don't mind the sensatec but the black metallic is a non starter, so I think I'll go with the other one. That is the car I will look for Greg !
fwiw I’m with you. Of course as I mentioned I like leather better than leatherette. A black car with black vinyl is not appealing to me. Hopefully Valenica did a good job reconditioning their car. Be sure to get that CPO checklist and the work order. Just a little heads up - AutoNation dealers are pretty firm about not negotiating on price. Maybe Greg can help you out. He’s the sales manager and he’s very well respected here on Bimmerfest. Good luck. Be sure to let us know how it works out.

03-11-2021, 04:49 PM   #14
CianoAmerico
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
fwiw I’m with you. Of course as I mentioned I like leather better than leatherette. A black car with black vinyl is not appealing to me. Hopefully Valenica did a good job reconditioning their car. Be sure to get that CPO checklist and the work order. Just a little heads up - AutoNation dealers are pretty firm about not negotiating on price. Maybe Greg can help you out. He’s the sales manager and he’s very well respected here on Bimmerfest. Good luck. Be sure to let us know how it works out.
Going for the CPO, they lowered the price another 450$ since I test drove it last week.
Also get a much better APR with the CPO.

Got the CPO checklist and work order, everything looks nice and they are the only one ever worked on it.

I would rather have a square setup vs the staggered that the car has but even if runflat 4 new tires are 4 new tires.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 05:58 PM   #15
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Going for the CPO, they lowered the price another 450$ since I test drove it last week.

Got the CPO checklist and work order, everything looks nice and they are the only one ever worked on it.

I would rather have a square setup vs the staggered that the car has but even if runflat 4 new tires are 4 new tires.
Congrats on your decision. Have you thought of asking them to replace the scratched trim piece by the iDrive controller? Just something you might consider asking if the scratch is bad enough to really bother you. It looks like a very nice car. I predict you’ll really enjoy it.

03-12-2021, 11:37 AM   #16
CianoAmerico
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Congrats on your decision. Have you thought of asking them to replace the scratched trim piece by the iDrive controller? Just something you might consider asking if the scratch is bad enough to really bother you. It looks like a very nice car. I predict you’ll really enjoy it.
I'm sure I'll enjoy. Specially once I'm done with suspension. I almost bought one 3 years ago and for various reasons postponed.

The scratch is right in the trajectory from to cup holder to the passenger seat.
I have a feeling that between my wife and my daughters it will get scratched very fast. And I like the that alcantara/suede trim I think is Mperformance or something like that if I change will be that one.

When is all done I will try a last attempt and ask if they can change the rear tiers to 225/45/18 same as the front.

Time to order that ENET ESYS Data Interface Cable on Amazon...
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 10:17 PM   #17
capt_slow
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328d

Garage List
Quote:
When is all done I will try a last attempt and ask if they can change the rear tiers to 225/45/18 same as the front.
Congrats on getting the car. Hope to see you on the road soon!

You would need to change out the rims as well. On the staggered setup, fronts and rears are different:

Front: 18x8.0, 225/45 R18
Rear: 18x8.5, 255/40 R18
      03-13-2021, 11:07 AM   #18
CianoAmerico
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_slow View Post
Quote:
Congrats on getting the car. Hope to see you on the road soon!

You would need to change out the rims as well. On the staggered setup, fronts and rears are different:

Front: 18x8.0, 225/45 R18
Rear: 18x8.5, 255/40 R18
Bummer on the tires.
I hope to find someone happy to swap m400s from square to staggered when is time to change for new rubber.

I will be driving tomorrow! Can't wait !
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 11:37 AM   #19
R2Dad
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F30 328d Sedan

Quote:

Would definitely replace the runflats if you get the chance. I have 225/45ZR-18 MICHELIN PILOT SPORT ALL SEASON 4 XL and they give a much smoother ride. Potholes with the runflats are brutal.
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2021, 01:21 PM   #20
CianoAmerico
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2Dad View Post
Quote:

Would definitely replace the runflats if you get the chance. I have 225/45ZR-18 MICHELIN PILOT SPORT ALL SEASON 4 XL and they give a much smoother ride. Potholes with the runflats are brutal.
They are still too new to replace but I can't wait to ditch the run flat.

And the monoballs on the upper control arm. The steering is horrible as it is now.
Appreciate 1
R2Dad4.50