F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Anyone with Spool hpfp and MHD
GetBMWParts

10-29-2020, 10:19 AM   #1
Bowenpuref3p
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Anyone with Spool hpfp and MHD

I have been going back and forth on which hpfp option I plan on buying and have emailed all the big names with questions.
I have been leaning towards dorch because MHD has the option included so I don't have to worry about tuning changes for the pump to operate.
Now I messaged spool and they said if I check the dorch option in MHD tune settings it would work with their hpfp.

So basically if anyone here has MHD and a Spool hpfp would you be willing to test this out for me and let me know if it truly operates the same?
Hopefully someone comes through for me but I understand it's asking alot. Thanks in advance if anyone helps out.
Appreciate 1
FastF30521.00
      10-29-2020, 11:00 AM   #2
n55david
Check out my Youtube @n55david!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i, 2015 X3 x35i

Garage List
2017 m240i xDrive  [0.00]
2015 X3 x35i  [0.00]
2015 335i xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowenpuref3p View Post
I have been going back and forth on which hpfp option I plan on buying and have emailed all the big names with questions.
I have been leaning towards dorch because MHD has the option included so I don't have to worry about tuning changes for the pump to operate.
Now I messaged spool and they said if I check the dorch option in MHD tune settings it would work with their hpfp.

So basically if anyone here has MHD and a Spool hpfp would you be willing to test this out for me and let me know if it truly operates the same?
Hopefully someone comes through for me but I understand it's asking alot. Thanks in advance if anyone helps out.
just get the dorch
IG: @n55david For pics and updates!
Youtube: @ n55david For videos or Racing etc
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 11:04 AM   #3
DJSF3014
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i

Quote:

Yes it will run with the dorch setting selected. Tried and tested go with spool lifetime warranty can't beat it.
Appreciate 2
      10-29-2020, 11:20 AM   #4
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

One of the M2 guys was having issues with his Spool and had to get a new one. Apparently the solenoid in it was bad.

Dorch is lifetime warranty, as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 12:44 PM   #5
Bowenpuref3p
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom10R View Post
Quote:

just get the dorch
The reason why I'd rather get the spool is because for my cars build running a e30-e50 tune with my ps2 would be maxing out a dorch stg1. While spools fx150 would cover my fueling needs for a few hundred bucks less then the dorch stg2 pump. I understand that it's not a huge deal since I'm already dropping like 4k for the turbo and pump but it's still a decent savings.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 12:46 PM   #6
Bowenpuref3p
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
One of the M2 guys was having issues with his Spool and had to get a new one. Apparently the solenoid in it was bad.

Dorch is lifetime warranty, as well.
Do you know if spool sent him a free replacement hpfp when his failed? I'm definitely going to see what I can find out about this failure point because that would make me stay away from spool. I am already running the AN full tank to hpfp braided fuel line and their ethanol sensor and it's a nice kit for 200 less the fuel-its offering.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 12:48 PM   #7
Bowenpuref3p
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJSF3014 View Post
Quote:

Yes it will run with the dorch setting selected. Tried and tested go with spool lifetime warranty can't beat it.
Is this your personal experience? This makes me lean towards spools fx150 as long as I can't find a ton of info about them failing and so far I don't see any other then the mention on this thread
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 12:52 PM   #8
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Do you know if spool sent him a free replacement hpfp when his failed? I'm definitely going to see what I can find out about this failure point because that would make me stay away from spool. I am already running the AN full tank to hpfp braided fuel line and their ethanol sensor and it's a nice kit for 200 less the fuel-its offering.
Yup, Spool sent him a new one, but he had to spend time diagnosing and I don’t know if his shop charged him double labor.

If you’re not getting this knocked out in the next couple weeks, I’d wait to see who has the better Black Friday sale.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 01:16 PM   #9
Bowenpuref3p
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yup, Spool sent him a new one, but he had to spend time diagnosing and I don’t know if his shop charged him double labor.

If you’re not getting this knocked out in the next couple weeks, I’d wait to see who has the better Black Friday sale.
Yeah I can hold off a few weeks and just run the mhd ots ps2 map with stock fueling. My best option would be dorch stg2 so maybe it will be on sale otherwise I'll go spool. Thanks for the input.
Appreciate 1
ZM22810.50
      10-29-2020, 02:05 PM   #10
DJSF3014
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yup, Spool sent him a new one, but he had to spend time diagnosing and I don't know if his shop charged him double labor.

If you're not getting this knocked out in the next couple weeks, I'd wait to see who has the better Black Friday sale.
Yeah I can hold off a few weeks and just run the mhd ots ps2 map with stock fueling. My best option would be dorch stg2 so maybe it will be on sale otherwise I'll go spool. Thanks for the input.
Yea it is I had a similar problem the hpfp just wasn't holding pressure I told them they gave me options about how to check it and then switched it out for me and even did 1 day shipping as it's my daily was really good and nice even tried to give me solutions and work with me and last resort was switch out the pump which ending up happening how she's good.
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2020, 02:14 PM   #11
Bowenpuref3p
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yup, Spool sent him a new one, but he had to spend time diagnosing and I don't know if his shop charged him double labor.

If you're not getting this knocked out in the next couple weeks, I'd wait to see who has the better Black Friday sale.
Yea it is I had a similar problem the hpfp just wasn't holding pressure I told them they gave me options about how to check it and then switched it out for me and even did 1 day shipping as it's my daily was really good and nice even tried to give me solutions and work with me and last resort was switch out the pump which ending up happening how she's good.
Oh yeah that is good to know it sounds like they took care of you. I'm not so worried about having to change the pump since I do it myself and have already done it once before. Not saying I want to buy a pump that fails just not as huge of a deal so ce it's not my daily and I wouldn't have to pay twice if it fails.

I think I'm going to wait until black friday sales and if the dorch stg2 isn't on sale I'll go spool fx150.

I really appreciate your input here man. Thanks you made my decision much easier.

Are you running a upgraded turbo and/or ethanol mix?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2020, 02:57 PM   #12
DJSF3014
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Oh yeah that is good to know it sounds like they took care of you. I'm not so worried about having to change the pump since I do it myself and have already done it once before. Not saying I want to buy a pump that fails just not as huge of a deal so ce it's not my daily and I wouldn't have to pay twice if it fails.

I think I'm going to wait until black friday sales and if the dorch stg2 isn't on sale I'll go spool fx150.

I really appreciate your input here man. Thanks you made my decision much easier.

Are you running a upgraded turbo and/or ethanol mix?
Yea that's what I would do as well. I'm running a bb 3.4 turbo kit on 93 though as we don't have e85 anywhere reasonable near me otherwise I would go e50 and send it.
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2020, 03:10 PM   #13
Bowenpuref3p
First Lieutenant
Rep

Ah ok so even though you have a massive turbo compared to my ps2 your fueling needs are probably similar to mine running a e30-e50 mix. Well I guess it's just time to hurry up and wait for black friday. Thanks again
Appreciate 0