F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 2014 MPPK: The real skinny
GetBMWParts

04-21-2014, 12:56 PM   #1
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Sedan

2014 MPPK: The real skinny

Had the M Performance Power Kit (“MPPK”) installed on my 2014 335i. I have the ZF 8 Speed and therefore the proforma outcome, per BMW, would be 335hp/332 lbs-ft.

If I had to sum up the difference between a stock F30 and an MPPK vehicle using one word, this would be it……SUBTLE.

By nature I’m a pretty objective person and tend to look past the typical BS and call a spade, a spade. I don’t typically get too taken by statements of enthusiasm from others and seek to make my own assessment of things. So, all of that being said, here goes……

Pulling out of the dealership, waiting until all fluids were nicely up to temperature and then giving the car the beans, I, frankly, noticed practically no difference. The car pulled nice and strong…..as it always has. Did I feel a noticeable increase in shove…..no, just a nice and strong pull…..as always. SO……lets get this addressed right off the bat – if you are expecting a night and day difference from the MPPK, you are going to be sorely disappointed. Plain and simple. Full stop.

With the passage of time, here is what is really noticeable from the PPK. The increase in torque. When cruising the freeway at 70 mph in 8th gear (in manual mode, to prevent a downshift to 7th), the car seems to pull very nicely and a run to 100+ is just a tap away. Does it feel stronger than before? Yes, I believe so. But, again, the change is subtle.

I know people have hooked up Gtech and BMW performance apps etc. etc. and quantified a difference. That’s all great. I don’t disagree with any of that. What I am giving you here is an objective (non-quantified) view of the change that can be expected from the MPPK. It is mild from a feel perspective.

The N55 is already a powerful and torquey motor. The MPPK ratchets that up a mild notch.

Then there is the psychological factor……..it simply feels nice to know that the increased power is quantifiably there. I simply like knowing that I have a 335hp sport sedan.

I did a launch control run this weekend from a standstill to about 80mph. Just a very nice strong pull. This is a fast and powerful car. I am happy with it.

Other takeways:
• No change in induction note from the new airbox. If it is there, I haven’t noticed.
• There is absolutely no change in steering feel whatsoever. I know people have made claims of the same. On my MY14 vehicle, there is none. I have driven the car for 12,400 miles before having the MPPK installed. I am 99.9% certain of this.
• The burble from the exhaust on lift off is noticeable, particularly when in Sport mode and circling the inside of my parking garage at work. I DO NOT have the MP exhaust. Again, the change is mild.
• Gauges are now 400/400.
• I didn’t put on the rocker panel decals. I like understated.
• Before anyone questions whether the tune was, in fact, actually installed,.....I had the tech print out 8+ pgs verifying all the programming changes.

Conclusion: Psychologically, I’m thrilled. Objectively and rationally, I recognize its mild. Yes, for ~$1600 it’s expensive. No, I would never ever consider a non BMW tune. I simply won’t chance it with a $60K vehicle.

THIS IS NOT INTENDED TO BE A MPPK vs. OTHER TUNE DISCUSSION. SAVE THAT FOR YOUR OWN THREAD, PLEASE. THANKS!!

Last edited by EvenKeel; 04-21-2014 at 01:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 01:09 PM   #2
diablo2112
2024 M440i GC (G26)
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440i Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenKeel View Post
Had the M Performance Power Kit (“MPPK”) I simply like knowing that I have a 335hp sport sedan.
You already had this before the MPPK. By every measure, the N55 is underrated by BMW. Credible dyno results put the engine at 330-340 HP and 330 ft.lb. at factory stock. I'm not really sure the MPPK does much of anything other than remap the throttle to make it feel a bit more peppy.

Thanks for the writeup.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 01:24 PM   #3
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo2112 View Post
You already had this before the MPPK. By every measure, the N55 is underrated by BMW. Credible dyno results put the engine at 330-340 HP and 330 ft.lb. at factory stock. I'm not really sure the MPPK does much of anything other than remap the throttle to make it feel a bit more peppy.

Thanks for the writeup.
Not true at all (the throttle remap part). If you look at the programming output data, one can see that dozens of parameters around the engine are changed.

With regard to what the engine is putting out stock.....I won't touch that one.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 01:27 PM   #4
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Nice write up and thanks for sharing. You have me second guessing my PPK order, especially since it is the "old" PPK. It should be here next week.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 01:31 PM   #5
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep

Also, I'll add that the throttle response has not changed materially. Its the torque pull that is the most noticable.

Also, I've read statements before where folks have characterized Comfort mode feeling like the old Sport mode i.e. pre-PPK-- I would not agree with this. The ZF shift points within comfort mode are still mild and therefore the tranny still moves to upshift at a reasonably quick pace.

Honestly, I really like this. My primary reservation in going with the MPPK was concern about losing the cars dual personality.....docile and smooth in comfort and Sporty and agressive in Sport/Sport+. I'm happy to report that Comfort mode is still very comfortable....for lack of a better term

By the way, the shifts in Sport+ under launch control were absolutely lightening quick, with a quick shove at each shift. Totally thrilling!

Last edited by EvenKeel; 04-21-2014 at 01:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 01:34 PM   #6
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC40 View Post
Nice write up and thanks for sharing. You have me second guessing my PPK order, especially since it is the "old" PPK. It should be here next week.
You know, I was really afraid that this might be the reaction from folks.

All I'll say is this.....the purpose of my post is to set expectations. If your expectations are set at the front end, there is less chance of disappointment.

Please understand, not for second am I trying to imply that the MPPK is vaporware. What I am trying to convey to folks is that the difference is there, but, mild/subtle.

I think with the passage of time, you will come to appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 01:37 PM   #7
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenKeel
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC40 View Post
You know, I was really afraid that this might be the reaction from folks.

All I'll say is this.....the purpose of my post is to set expectations. If your expectations are set at the front end, there is less chance of disappointment.

Please understand, not for second am I trying to imply that the MPPK is vaporware. What I am trying to convey to folks is that the difference is there, but, mild/subtle.

I think with the passage of time, you will come to appreciate it.
I appreciate that. I probably overreacted in my response. I'm not expecting an earth shattering change by any means, but a nice, subtle increase is welcome.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 01:40 PM   #8
falar
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-sport/2013 X3 35i

I had my MPPK port installed so I will never be able to speak to the difference from stock.

Others have reported a decent difference though.
2014 335i M-Sport Mineral Grey / Sport Auto / Black Dakota / Aluminum Hex / Prem,Tech,DA packages / DHP / M-Sport Brakes / MPPK / MPE / Black Kidney Grilles, SS Pedals, M-Performance CF spoiler / Cameras, heated seats, etc etc

2013 X3 35i...wife's car
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 01:49 PM   #9
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: X5 & 335xi

Nice write up.

It would also help to look at this long thread here

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=821701

I was part of the group that got the 20hp kit back then when it first came out. I now have the 35hp kit and still breaking the car in. The wider the group of opinions you get the better the conclusions you can make.

Deep Sea Blue Metallic 2013 X5 35d Sport
Prem, Convenience, Cold and Premium Sound packages
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 01:55 PM   #10
EvenKeel
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
Nice write up.

I was part of the group that got the 20hp kit back then when it first came out. I now have the 35hp kit and still breaking the car in. The wider the group of opinions you get the better the conclusions you can make.
Yep, had read that thread extensively and, quite frankly, I was grateful for it. It really tempered my expectations on the front end, which, eliminated any chance of disappointment.

Furthermore, when one of the posters in that thread was actually asking how to verify the authenticity of installation, I knew, right then, that the difference had to be mild.

This also prompted me to ask my SA to provide a printout of the actual programming itself. He agreed without batting an eyelid (he knows I'm a picky bugger as is!)
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 02:30 PM   #11
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
Nice write up.

Yep, had read that thread extensively and, quite frankly, I was grateful for it. It really tempered my expectations on the front end, which, eliminated any chance of disappointment.

Furthermore, when one of the posters in that thread was actually asking how to verify the authenticity of installation, I knew, right then, that the difference had to be mild.

This also prompted me to ask my SA to provide a printout of the actual programming itself. He agreed without batting an eyelid (he knows I'm a picky bugger as is!)
Out of interest I checked what I had to say back then. Here is what I had to say

"On driving impressions there is really not much I can add other than to concur with what everyone else has said. Its worth every penny. My sport gauges work as I was able to reach peak tq and peak hp. They are now reconfigured to 320/400.

I still need more seat time and I am yet to run my test which I might do tonight.

The one thing that the car now needs in the performance exhaust, which I plan on adding in the future. Good luck to those going in, you will be happy with the result."

So it seems I agreed with steering changes, comfort mode step up to old sport mode, stronger pull etc. I can't imagine we were all on drugs back then since this is what the majority reported back after the install.

In terms of perceptions I guess these will differ per person but there is no doubt the greater majority of those who have it are happy with it. Yourself included

I am even happy with the changes from 20hp to 35hp kit.

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 02:38 PM   #12
335BOY
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 SQ5

Nice to have a rational write up like that as opposed to the "you NEED this option, its NIGHT and DAY !"
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 02:41 PM   #13
DesertSmokeBBQ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 335i M-Sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Had the M Performance Power Kit (“MPPK”) installed on my 2014 335i. I have the ZF 8 Speed and therefore the proforma outcome, per BMW, would be 335hp/332 lbs-ft.

If I had to sum up the difference between a stock F30 and an MPPK vehicle using one word, this would be it……SUBTLE.

By nature I’m a pretty objective person and tend to look past the typical BS and call a spade, a spade. I don’t typically get too taken by statements of enthusiasm from others and seek to make my own assessment of things. So, all of that being said, here goes……

Pulling out of the dealership, waiting until all fluids were nicely up to temperature and then giving the car the beans, I, frankly, noticed practically no difference. The car pulled nice and strong…..as it always has. Did I feel a noticeable increase in shove…..no, just a nice and strong pull…..as always. SO……lets get this addressed right off the bat – if you are expecting a night and day difference from the MPPK, you are going to be sorely disappointed. Plain and simple. Full stop.

With the passage of time, here is what is really noticeable from the PPK. The increase in torque. When cruising the freeway at 70 mph in 8th gear (in manual mode, to prevent a downshift to 7th), the car seems to pull very nicely and a run to 100+ is just a tap away. Does it feel stronger than before? Yes, I believe so. But, again, the change is subtle.

I know people have hooked up Gtech and BMW performance apps etc. etc. and quantified a difference. That’s all great. I don’t disagree with any of that. What I am giving you here is an objective (non-quantified) view of the change that can be expected from the MPPK. It is mild from a feel perspective.

The N55 is already a powerful and torquey motor. The MPPK ratchets that up a mild notch.

Then there is the psychological factor……..it simply feels nice to know that the increased power is quantifiably there. I simply like knowing that I have a 335hp sport sedan.

I did a launch control run this weekend from a standstill to about 80mph. Just a very nice strong pull. This is a fast and powerful car. I am happy with it.

Other takeways:
• No change in induction note from the new airbox. If it is there, I haven’t noticed.
• There is absolutely no change in steering feel whatsoever. I know people have made claims of the same. On my MY14 vehicle, there is none. I have driven the car for 12,400 miles before having the MPPK installed. I am 99.9% certain of this.
• The burble from the exhaust on lift off is noticeable, particularly when in Sport mode and circling the inside of my parking garage at work. I DO NOT have the MP exhaust. Again, the change is mild.
• Before anyone questions whether the tune was, in fact, actually installed,.....I had the tech print out 8+ pgs verifying all the programming changes.

Conclusion: Psychologically, I’m thrilled. Objectively and rationally, I recognize its mild. Yes, for ~$1600 it’s expensive. No, I would never ever consider a non BMW tune. I simply won’t chance it with a $60K vehicle.

THIS IS NOT INTENDED TO BE A MPPK vs. OTHER TUNE DISCUSSION. SAVE THAT FOR YOUR OWN THREAD, PLEASE. THANKS!!
Sell me the rocker stickers!

Traded 9-1-13 '13 Estoril Blue II F30 - 328i - ZMM - ZPP -ZDY - ZTB - 403 - 465 - 494 - 4DX- LC (Black) - 6NL
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 02:54 PM   #14
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSmokeBBQ
Quote:

Other takeways:

Sell me the rocker stickers!
I'll sell you mine when they arrive! I'm in OC.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 02:54 PM   #15
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BOY
Nice to have a rational write up like that as opposed to the "you NEED this option, its NIGHT and DAY !"
You see posters here who drive an S4 and a 335i San PPK. The great majority of those folks almost always comment on the power difference between the two. The PPK (old one) bridges that gap.

I would not exactly dismiss the comments made before about the change in power, if you don't have access to a car with PPK, drive an S4 (with the auto transmission) and drive a 335i without the PPK. the difference in power between the two is what you get with the PPK (old PPK).

If you can live with that difference then the extra PPK money is not worth it, if you can FEEL it and are willing to go the extra mile, I am among those who believe its worth every penny to get the car to the other end of the performance spectrum in its segment

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 03:03 PM   #16
TBLM235X
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 17 440i

Thank-you for your update and sharing your thoughts. It certainly helps me set expectations if I decide to finally have it installed (can't seem to make up my mind). If if it ends up exceeding my expectations, then all the better.

How long did the install and programming take? I've read that many of the problems seem to affect 2014's, have you experienced any issues since the install?

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 03:20 PM   #17
metrathon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 328i Sport Line

Wow, a rational post. Did hell just freeze over?
Past affairs: 2014 Lexus RX 350 | 2012 BMW 328i Sport | 2009 Audi A4 2.0T | 2007 BMW 750Li | 2006 Kawaki Ninja 650R | 2004 BMW 530i | 2004 BMW 520i | 2001 BMW 530i | 2003 Opel Vectra | 2002 Citroen Xsara
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 03:25 PM   #18
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 6MT M2, 22 PFinder, 24 Truk

Thanks for the write up. I was definitely going to get the MPPK, but wasn't sure about the MPE. For some reason your write up helped me make up my mind to do both of them at once and be done with it.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 03:51 PM   #19
daberlin
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i EBII MPPK/BBK

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Thanks for the write up. I was definitely going to get the MPPK, but wasn't sure about the MPE. For some reason your write up helped me make up my mind to do both of them at once and be done with it.
I completely agree with the OP's summary on MPPK which I also had installed four days ago. Subtle is really a good way to describe the change. I think most folks who get this upgrade know it will never give 'night and day', but a nicer jump through the rev band even in comfort mode.

For those folks like the OP, myself and I suspect many others, they simply have no desire to modify their $50K+ F30 in ways that will risk warranty and increase wear and tear on the power plant or turbo. To others who want to tune with downpipes, cat removals, etc., they will never opt for this type of upgrade. Fair enough.

However for most sports cars, the F30 335i included, the addition of both a performance exhaust and a software tune like MPPK are great add-ons that really make the driving experience more enjoyable. I did this upgrade on my 'other' sports car, and couldn't be happier with adding a sport exhaust and MPPK to my new BMW.

Thanks for the well written objective review. A rather unusual occurrence on this forum.

PS - My rocker stickers are also for sale - listed in the members classified.
1986 BMW 325e
1971 VW Super Beetle

Last edited by daberlin; 04-21-2014 at 03:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 03:52 PM   #20
300hp
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19
+1 on getting both done at the same time. My wife drove the car away from me yesterday and the MPE works wonders to the exhaust note. Your arrival and departures are announced in a nice executive sporty way

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 04:12 PM   #21
ft1330
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

It just confirms what I've always suspected: that the MPPK does nothing, or very little. 30 or so hp/torque is not a whole lot in proportion to the stock power. Add to that the fact that the car already makes more than the stock 300... and I think it doesn't take a genius to figure out this is just BMW ///Marketing.

If I wanted a tune I would go aftermarket, no questions about it. Dinan comes to mind as they appear to be safer from a novice's perspective.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2014, 04:15 PM   #22
moviebumm
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

For those with a manual transmission and MPPK, is the MPPK also subtle?
Appreciate 0