F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > M5 one month in
Extreme Powerhouse

06-11-2018, 08:37 AM   #1
Chrismac13
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: BMW F31 335i

M5 one month in

Having recently traded in my F31 335i for an F10 M5, I thought I’d share my impressions of the 1st months of ownership.

It is 2016 M5 in sapphire black with the sakir merino leather interior, it has the optional 20" rims which gives a subtle aggressive stance.

Firstly the power it is at times absurd, you press the M button & it it goes into full on attack mode which has the traction light blinkering away in 3rd & 4th on dry roads. For such a big relatively heavy car the way it accelerates from 50 to silly speeds is mental. If you put your foot down coming off a bend or roundabout you had better be awake. But it is quite happy trundling around town which was quite surprising as I was expecting it to be a bit difficult

Build quality there is a marked difference to the F31. Everything seems much better screwed together the screen built into the dash instead of stuck on top the wide solid centre console. The plush comfy seats, the seat heating can melt bone. The M touches give a special feel. It is much quieter inside the cabin which does muffle the sound from the exhaust which is a shame.

Handling for such a big car is superb, with the steering & suspension in sport it goes round corners like its on rails very planted, the flip side to this is around town or on badly maintained roads the ride can be a bit harsh, this may be less so with smaller wheels (but hell who wants smaller wheels)

Fuel economy is around 22mpg which isnt to bad but this will drop considerably in the winter months & when you give it the berries but heck its an M5 so I aint to concerned about MPG

The HUD is a nice addition having never previously had one, the M version is excellent with the rev counter across the top giving a racy feel.

Paintwork being black shows up every scratch & mark. BMW paint seems soft across the range & is no better here which is a shame & will require a good detail & coating to keep it tip top

Exhaust noise is the only real downside for me it sounds lovely out side the car but is a bit disappointing on the inside especially when accelerating. It also has that stupid ASD it try & pretend to sound good which it doesnt.

Insurance was alot lower than i thought which is always a bonus

So all in all the change is a definite step up & I am glad I took the plunge as its not every day you can buy an M car
OneExtra809.50
Ss66344.50
JD64263.50
dazzapb1050.00
sahajesh2294.00
      06-11-2018, 08:40 AM   #2
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: None

Hopefully I pick up mine on Thursday
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 10:40 AM   #3
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrismac13 View Post
Having recently traded in my F31 335i for an F10 M5, I thought I’d share my impressions of the 1st months of ownership.

It is 2016 M5 in sapphire black with the sakir merino leather interior, it has the optional 20" rims which gives a subtle aggressive stance.

Firstly the power it is at times absurd, you press the M button & it it goes into full on attack mode which has the traction light blinkering away in 3rd & 4th on dry roads. For such a big relatively heavy car the way it accelerates from 50 to silly speeds is mental. If you put your foot down coming off a bend or roundabout you had better be awake. But it is quite happy trundling around town which was quite surprising as I was expecting it to be a bit difficult

Build quality there is a marked difference to the F31. Everything seems much better screwed together the screen built into the dash instead of stuck on top the wide solid centre console. The plush comfy seats, the seat heating can melt bone. The M touches give a special feel. It is much quieter inside the cabin which does muffle the sound from the exhaust which is a shame.

Handling for such a big car is superb, with the steering & suspension in sport it goes round corners like its on rails very planted, the flip side to this is around town or on badly maintained roads the ride can be a bit harsh, this may be less so with smaller wheels (but hell who wants smaller wheels)

Fuel economy is around 22mpg which isnt to bad but this will drop considerably in the winter months & when you give it the berries but heck its an M5 so I aint to concerned about MPG

The HUD is a nice addition having never previously had one, the M version is excellent with the rev counter across the top giving a racy feel.

Paintwork being black shows up every scratch & mark. BMW paint seems soft across the range & is no better here which is a shame & will require a good detail & coating to keep it tip top

Exhaust noise is the only real downside for me it sounds lovely out side the car but is a bit disappointing on the inside especially when accelerating. It also has that stupid ASD it try & pretend to sound good which it doesnt.

Insurance was alot lower than i thought which is always a bonus

So all in all the change is a definite step up & I am glad I took the plunge as its not every day you can buy an M car
Sounds awful. I'll take it off your hands no charge.
Appreciate 1
      06-11-2018, 12:55 PM   #4
Pobsey
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 F31 330d / 2010 e87 118d

You need the titanium M performance exhaust, that sounds fantastic inside and out
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 06:21 PM   #5
GMT234
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M140 mineral grey / oyster

Awesome car, had a 2015 F10 M5 absolute beast. But also very comfortable and refined.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 01:22 AM   #6
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneExtra View Post
Hopefully I pick up mine on Thursday
That throw away line got ignored - full details required....
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 02:00 AM   #7
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

Awesome car, of which we need more pics. Thanks for the write up, very interesting.

I MUST own a M5 one day...simply iconic.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 02:59 AM   #8
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleaiw1 View Post
That throw away line got ignored - full details required....
Full write up with pics when I have it...... promise
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2018, 05:53 PM   #9
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M Comp

just amazing, I hope my numbers come up soon, I seen one of the new G30 m5's the other day i almost had to pull over and have a moment with myself
Appreciate 0