F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > "Driving it Properly"
GetBMWParts

06-14-2018, 02:59 AM   #1
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

"Driving it Properly"

This statement, or "not driving it properly" comes up quite often, particularly if someone reports really high mpg.

What is driving a car properly? Is it simply an immature suggestion, or tongue in cheek comment, that drivers are not maxing out their car's performance all the time, or can we define it in a serious context?

For example, does driving a 340i mean we have to take on a different, possibly more aggressive driving style, than if we were in a 320i, to drive it properly? Do we show less consideration for other road users because we have a more powerful vehicle? (Drive faster, have to be in front, etc.).
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2018, 03:16 AM   #2
rossm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F40 M135i

Rather tongue in cheek I would say. We all know it's quite possible to enjoy the performance of the cars while showing all due car and attention to other road users, in otherwords depending on road conditions, traffic levels, weather etc.

I think what they are trying to say is if you're worried about MPG figures, you should buy an economical car or maybe just stop posting willy waving threads on the internets
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2018, 03:19 AM   #3
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

I think it means different things to different people; the definition some use of driving it properly wouldn't be shared by the authorities for example!

Speaking personally "driving it properly" means using the performance of your car sensibly when road and weather conditions permit (which being honest means I'm using the full performance potential of my car only a small percentage of the time). However, I can and do exceed speed limits - occasionally by quite a lot - so even my relatively restrained use wouldn't always find favour with the police if they were around.

Part of "driving it properly" for me is also about mechanical sympathy for the car. For example, I wouldn't pull into a gap on a cold engine if it meant putting my foot down hard and using lots of revs whereas - providing it didn't inconvenience another driver - I would if everything was up to temperature. I'm sure there will be some out there who'll say it doesn't matter with modern oils but I'm old school and I'm afraid my car doesn't get extended until it's warmed-up!

I've always assumed most of the "driving it properly" comments on forums are just tongue in cheek to provoke a reaction; however, if people seriously believe that the "proper" way to drive is to have your foot either hard on the accelerator or hard on the brake they should be doing that on a track and not a public road IMO!
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2018, 03:21 AM   #4
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

I think it's purely banter Pete.

Personally I do find it at odds with my own outlook when people drive relatively large-engined, relatively high performance cars, and profess the high mpg from driving sedately.

Similarly, drivers with higher performance vehicles that are happy to potter along : I'm not in a rush. The motivator there being a relaxed drive, the mpg is a secondary benefit.

ETTO and all that, but one can just as easily potter in a 318d or a 320i so why bother the 330/335d or the 340i ? Some of it may be personal satisfaction (nothing wrong with that), some of it may be keeping up with the Jones'.

That's not to say that the 30/35/40 drivers (or anyone) should drive like idiots, but a lot of us do enjoy the performance more than the fuel efficiency.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 5
      06-14-2018, 03:28 AM   #5
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

For my wife it means accelerating stupid fast and taking quick corners. Sometimes even overtaking others or cutting traffic. So yes, aggressive I would say. As you can tell I am not a fan of her driving. She gets the stupid late braking and lack of 2 second gap from her dad who thinks every car is a rally car. I viewed the dash cam footage this week and I thought... you put yourself in the dumbest situations where you can cause an accident and then you are oblivious to it by saying other drivers are inconsiderate. We have had massive arguments about it in the past about her emotions being taken out on the car. I refuse to say anything further as it falls on deaf ears. In my line of work we have learned that the majority of road accidents are caused by the wrong use of speed. I know I have made mistakes in the past and I am not perfect but I am not dangerous.

Lesson here homie: stupidity has no expiration date.
Appreciate 3
DaveH28287.00
      06-14-2018, 03:39 AM   #6
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsey View Post
Personally I do find it at odds with my own outlook when people drive relatively large-engined, relatively high performance cars, and profess the high mpg from driving sedately.
Perhaps some do that but in many (most?) cases I think people are more remarking on how good the mpg is without really making an effort to achieve economy by driving sedately.

Quote:
Similarly, drivers with higher performance vehicles that are happy to potter along : I'm not in a rush. The motivator there being a relaxed drive, the mpg is a secondary benefit.

ETTO and all that, but one can just as easily potter in a 318d or a 320i so why bother the 330/335d or the 340i ? Some of it may be personal satisfaction (nothing wrong with that), some of it may be keeping up with the Jones'.
I don't know how many drivers fall into that category (i.e. buying a performance car and then just pottering along) but one of the motives behind buying something like a 340i may also be refinement and a 318d isn't the same in that regard!

Quote:
That's not to say that the 30/35/40 drivers (or anyone) should drive like idiots, but a lot of us do enjoy the performance more than the fuel efficiency.
I would count myself as one of those who enjoys performance more than fuel efficiency. However, as per my first point, I think a lot of the time people are mentioning fuel efficiency more in a context of "this is good considering the performance" rather than "this is good in absolute terms". That said I do agree some of the very high figures quoted are a bit silly and not representative of normal, mixed, use!
Appreciate 3
Watsey6397.50
Edinburra546.50
      06-14-2018, 03:46 AM   #7
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Good replies.

I sense a lot of drivers who think they are driving cars properly (doesn't have to be higher performance) are in reality driving aggressively, total the opposite to what I'd term properly.

On the why drive a higher performance car if you are driving well within its performance potential, and note its excellent mpg, I look at it this way.

Back in the days of driving my Cortina Mk2 GT, my mate drove a 1200cc Cortina. Obviously a big performance difference, but driven in a similar way, the 1200 was near the limits, the GT much more relaxed. The GT had better everything, brakes, suspension, more performance on tap for acceleration, safe overtaking, etc., really a safer car, even better mpg.

I formed the opinion way back then, that it was better to have a higher performance model (of any range) and drive it well within its limits, than have a lower end model and be frustrated with everything it couldn't do, with no real saving on running costs, like fuel use.
Appreciate 6
Watsey6397.50
JNW13122.00
Soul_Glo13342.00
F30Andy1754.50
j.s.48.50
      06-14-2018, 06:18 AM   #8
KCH1984
Major
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model Y LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
Quote:
Perhaps some do that but in many (most?) cases I think people are more remarking on how good the mpg is without really making an effort to achieve economy by driving sedately.

Quote:

I don't know how many drivers fall into that category (i.e. buying a performance car and then just pottering along) but one of the motives behind buying something like a 340i may also be refinement and a 318d isn't the same in that regard!

Quote:
I would count myself as one of those who enjoys performance more than fuel efficiency. However, as per my first point, I think a lot of the time people are mentioning fuel efficiency more in a context of "this is good considering the performance" rather than "this is good in absolute terms". That said I do agree some of the very high figures quoted are a bit silly and not representative of normal, mixed, use!
I think you've hit the nail on the head with your point about relative versus absolute performance, but titles such as "the surprisingly fuel efficient 40i" would be better as "the relatively fuel efficient 40i" if that's meant to be the intention.

Quoting 40+mpg and then comparing this to a 35d is pointless when we all know driven like for like the 35d will achieve better economy. Certainly that's the case for me going 35i to 30d. Now, that's not to say the slightly lower mpg of a 40i negates the significant aural pleasures and refinement of that engine.

On the "driven properly" point, I had an R32 once that you could coax 30mpg out of if you drive in the inside lane at 50mph while everyone zipped past at 70mph plus. Extending that car caused mpg to plummet to the point it was barely affordable to run. In that case I wasn't driving the car "properly" and would have been much better with the GTI. I get the point most people are trying to make with the 40i is that it offers incredible performance, yet if you need to use it as your daily then it can still be affordable. However, if you're doing a mostly long commute almost exclusively on motorways then I'd suggest a 35d is better suited to the task despite this.
      06-14-2018, 07:48 AM   #9
chris-c
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossm View Post
Rather tongue in cheek I would say. We all know it's quite possible to enjoy the performance of the cars while showing all due car and attention to other road users, in otherwords depending on road conditions, traffic levels, weather etc.

I think what they are trying to say is if you're worried about MPG figures, you should buy an economical car or maybe just stop posting willy waving threads on the internets
Sounds fair. Although the internet is for willy waving.

I had a colleague who wanted to keep up with the jones's and bought a couple of high performance cars (2nd hand) that he clearly couldn't afford to run. Constantly moaned about how the bentley was drinking fuel etc etc. Kept them both about a month each. I'd hate to think how much set him back.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 08:37 AM   #10
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCH1984 View Post
…. However, if you're doing a mostly long commute almost exclusively on motorways then I'd suggest a 35d is better suited to the task despite this.
In a way, if you make that choice, you could say you are 'driving it properly', as diesel is most suited to steady speed mile crunching.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 09:21 AM   #11
MashinBenzin
Major General
Rep
Drives: Eiger D5

When the roads are open (lots of ******* or quiet, it's fantastic to extend the car. At other times, driving fast or attempting to is purely frustrating but there are other ways to enjoy the drive.

My driving is largely urban, with occasional 100 mile motorway runs. Unfortunately, I get precious little (actually zero) time on the kind of open and quiet A-road or B-road where the car could really be exploited. Actually, though, a better balanced 4 cylinder such as a 430i would maybe be better for handling.

How does mine get driven? Gently most of the time, coasting up to lights and roundabouts. On my commute I use sport mode for the better engine braking a lot and actively enjoy the challenge of (sensibly) avoiding the use of the brakes on a significant chunk of my commute. Without inconveniencing others, of course. Rarely use eco pro but occasionally if I fancy seeing how a run with lots of coasting goes. Basically, variety for a boring commute. It's all 30-40mph limits with 300m of 50mph, so any flooring it is over in a second or two.

Also actively seek out the 'empty' slip road on my way back from lunch for a chance to give it proper full beans. Works out 40% of the time.

Why buy a 40i? Much more relaxing to drive a car that never needs pushing to go with the flow and...refinement refinement refinement.

Drives - 2020 LR Discovery HSE-L
Previous - 2019 LR Discovery HSE-L // 2016 F36 440i // 2009 E90 320D SE
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2018, 10:36 AM   #12
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashinBenzin View Post
...Why buy a 40i? Much more relaxing to drive a car that never needs pushing to go with the flow and...refinement refinement refinement.
Exactly. Has always been a key reason why folks buy the more powerful engine models. Forums tend to have a bias that performance end models are bought simply to be driven hard.

Go back to my younger days, who drove Lotus Cortinas or Triumph Dolomite Sprints? Typically older male drivers, pottering around and occasionally exploiting the performance, but nothing to prove.
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2018, 11:52 AM   #13
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Having found another job, a mate of mine blew most of redundancy package on a big used Aston Martin, which he adores. And rightly so, as its fantastic to look at and to drive. He went from driving something crappy (cant remember what) to the AM. In the space of no time, he's up to 9 points, I think, and as frustrated as hell. He lives in the South East which is speed camera'd up to the arsehole. Thinking of selling the AM and getting an MX-5